• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WASR Single Stack to Double Stack Conversion

Anyone ever done this.

I know you have to dremel out the mag well to let them fit, but also may need to up the US made parts to make it legal. Which parts are best and cheapest to replace?

Is it worth doing? I found a pretty good deal on a WASR-10 single stack but I don't really want a single stack.

Or does being in Mass just take the conversion off the table entirely?

Havent done it but there are tutorials about it all over the web. Most replace the trigger group, gas piston, and pistol grip if I remember correctly. KVAR and others sell the parts.

Seems like the key is taking your time, making the well as tight as possible and checking the magazine catch angel where the mag catch contacts the magazine. This angle may need to be worked on so the mags lock up properly.

Looks pretty easy and at the cost of a new AK I would make the effort as long as the one you have does not have issues like canted sights.

Worst case the rifle needs a US made magazine to meet 922 (unlikely). If you dremel out the magwell and replace the single stack with a double stack you could replace it with a double stack US made magazine that is blocked for 10 rounds to be legal in MA. There is an outfit that sells plastic mags with epoxied in blocks.

If your rifle needs the US made magazine to meet 922 AND you want to use a pre ban 30 round mag, then you would need to replace ONE foreign part with a us made one. Here is a worksheet to help you figure out what parts you can replace http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance. I bet the easiest would be the pistol grip...its about 20 bucks and only one screw....the stock ones are not that great IMO.

Having said all that, I doubt that Century would sell a rifle where the mag was the difference between 922 compliance and not.

EDIT:

Here is a really good site for Romanian AK's:

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom