WASR-10 Questions

Im finally crossing over into AK land after years of feeling like i wasnt missing out on anything, and now i must have one. Is a WASR a good choice, its going to get a Krink conversion down road, even though 7.62 Krink kits are more rare. Im all set with the 5.45 round, it doesnt do anything for me. Since its MA Okay rifle can i put a folding stock on it? Do i need a pre ban receiver to allow to a folding stock to be legal. Thanks!

You can not put a folding stock on a WASR in MA. Pre ban folders (not WASR's) can be found from time to time, but be prepared to spend some cash. Also go to NH and get a double stacked magazine version not the stupid 10 round single stack version. You will need to get a pre ban mag, have the compensator pinned, and the bayonet lug removed. A place like State Line in Mason offers these services since they are so close to MA.

The WASR is a low end AK but mine has been reliable and fun to shoot. Just pay attention to the mag well and front sights. Some had canted from sights and some mag wells that were a bit sloppy. The sloppy mag well is pretty easy to fix, the sight is a bit more of a pain. Theres a web page someplace that has more info.

Awesome thank you i have a friend in NH that knows about what you said on the mag well and front sights but he doesnt know about MA law. I do all my business with Stateline so thats good. Do you mind explaining the Double/Single stack mag thing better sorry that was new news to me. thanks

GomerPile is right- no WASR can have a folding stock, bayonet lug, or threaded muzzle in Massachusetts. There is no such thing as a pre-ban WASR, no matter how much someone may tell you. Sure, there are dates on the front trunnions of WASRS that pre-date 1994, but those are Romanian build dates of the military rifles that the WASR was built from.

If you want a folder, you gotta find a preban AK to build off of. They typically run $1k+, unless you get lucky.

If you are ok with pinning folding stocks and muzzle brakes, you can go with a post-ban AK, too.

If you wanted to go with a 7.62x39 krink on the cheap, I'd look into buying a Romanian Drako and getting it tax stamped and built into a SBR. They're the cheapest ticket to the 7.62x39 short barrel world, and come built in Romania on a very nice AKM receiver. Otherwise the Yugo M92 is your only other ticket to the 7.62 krink family, and you'll likely have to either buy one or build one. And those parts kits don't come cheap.

Do you mind explaining the Double/Single stack mag thing better sorry that was new news to me. thanks

"Double Stack" AKs can feed from a normal AK 30 round magazine. They are called "double stack" as they carry two rows of rounds like that of a AR-15 magazine.

"Single Stack" AKs feed from 10 round magazines that only have a single row of rounds. These AKs come into the US like this to be labeled as "sporter" rifles. Their magazine wells (the hole where you insert the magazine into the receiver) are narrower than double stack AK receivers. They also tend to have different bolt geometry as well as different front trunnion geometry.

The last two points of info are the real issues with some single stack AKs. Single stack WASRs don't have this issue- they just have narrow mag wells and typical AK front trunnions and bolts. But some Yugoslav and Bulgarian single stack AKs have the single stack bolts and front trunnions. These rifles, when "converted" to handle double stack mags, can be a PITA. The bolt doesn't always grab from either stack of rounds in a 30 round mag and the front trunnion requires milling/dremel work which usually takes place while it's still in the receiver, which can make it look like shit and function like shit (feeding issues, damaged rivets, etc).

Back
Top Bottom