Wasr 10 missing chuck of metal

Romanian parts are easy to come by. In an ideal world, you’d source a Romanian trunnion and bring it to a gunsmith familiar with AKs to repair; then the seller, while not obligated to, would offer to split the cost of the repair.

Or you could sink another couple of thousand dollars into your $500 WASR to have Jim Fuller’s old company work it over.

I know what I’d do.
Agree.
Im just happy this one can be repaired. But im not sure i wouldn't shoot it in the mean time.

Probably is but that metal must be there for a reason.
Whatever it is, it's a cosmetic defect and not going anywhere. I've had Romanian AKs before and they're all beat up. If your front sight block is center, you have nothing else to worry and should stop typing and start shooting [mg]

Whatever it is, it's a cosmetic defect and not going anywhere. I've had Romanian AKs before and they're all beat up. If your front sight block is center, you have nothing else to worry and should stop typing and start shooting [mg]
Got any Romanians now? Can you take a pic of that spot?

I was the seller. Bought it brand new as is from Classic firearms website. I texted back the buyer saying I'd take it back and fully refund his money. I don;t know much about AK's so I really don't understand the issue. Shot it for a number of years with no issues or failures and yes it needed a good cleaning :) Never had a single issue with it, always shot perfectly, probably about 1000 rounds total. If there really is an issue with it, it was unknown to me and I'll take it back no questions asked. I will do whatever it takes to make this deal right, I don't play games.

Last edited:
I was the seller. Bought it brand new as is from Classic firearms website. I texted back the buyer saying I'd take it back and fully refund his money. I don;t know much about AK's so I really don't understand the issue. Shot it for a number of years with no issues or failures and yes it needed a good cleaning :) Never had a single issue with it, always shot perfectly, probably about 1000 rounds total. If there really is an issue with it, it was unknown to me and I'll take it back no questions asked. I will do whatever it takes to make this deal right, I don't play games.
I don't think you were aware of the issue when you sold it, and I appreciate the offer to make it right. I'v been trying like crazy to find someone to repair it, but so far I'v have had no luck.

Romanian parts are easy to come by. In an ideal world, you’d source a Romanian trunnion and bring it to a gunsmith familiar with AKs to repair; then the seller, while not obligated to, would offer to split the cost of the repair.

Or you could sink another couple of thousand dollars into your $500 WASR to have Jim Fuller’s old company work it over.

I know what I’d do.

I just bought an unserialized Romanian front trunnion as a part for a Zenitco project I have, OP can PM me if he has issues sourcing them.

Didn't I see some Euro dude post over on AK Files today that this kind of thing is not an anomaly on Polish or Romanian trunnions? Or was that some other rifle? I'm not a member there, so I just happened to see it.

Didn't I see some Euro dude post over on AK Files today that this kind of thing is not an anomaly on Polish or Romanian trunnions? Or was that some other rifle? I'm not a member there, so I just happened to see it.
That’s what he is saying. Had a picture of one that looked the same as mine. He said that’s how they are designed. If that were true I’d think it would be a more uniformed hole. I emailed Century arms as well. I would think they would know.

I highly doubt FB Radom would let a gun leave the factory with this kind of issue. I just bought a new one and the rifle's got better fit and finish than any other AK I've owned and most American guns. Maybe it was a problem with IO, but FB makes quality guns.

What did you discover?

Same exact thing on mine, but on BOTH sides (as is yours, I think, from your pics). My opinion, after looking at the areas under magnification, is that they are cut that way as stress relief indented radii. Similar to the way an FN-FAL is made in the wall behind the ejector block. The radii at the corners are also indented.
Why yours is so rough looking, can't say. The cuts on mine look like they were done freehand with a dremel-type tool. Maybe whoever did yours had too much (or not enough) vodka that morning? Don't know how many rounds have been through this thing. Got it used and cheap, and have put maybe 800 rounds through it myself. I will continue to shoot it 'till it dies.

ak-trun-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! They are too similar in appearance to be anything other than an intentional relief cut. Hopefully some more people chime in with pictures. Below are some more pictures I found on the internet

Same exact thing on mine, but on BOTH sides (as is yours, I think, from your pics). My opinion, after looking at the areas under magnification, is that they are cut that way as stress relief indented radii. Similar to the way an FN-FAL is made in the wall behind the ejector block. The radii at the corners are also indented.
Why yours is so rough looking, can't say. The cuts on mine look like they were done freehand with a dremel-type tool. Maybe whoever did yours had too much (or not enough) vodka that morning? Don't know how many rounds have been through this thing. Got it used and cheap, and have put maybe 800 rounds through it myself. I will continue to shoot it 'till it dies.

View attachment 469947
27E3B7B5-299E-44CD-884F-A0C17641EBEB.png2510604E-923C-40BA-BDFB-8F1620465AAC.png

Attachments

• 1C64F9F8-18EF-48E3-9111-738B9ACB15DD.png
    1C64F9F8-18EF-48E3-9111-738B9ACB15DD.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom