Was Walking in the Woods Today

June4th

NES Member
Another fruitless day today but weather was beautiful and I was feeling good.

I heard a loud crack above me and saw some disturbance in the shadows in front of me (sun was behind me). I lowered my head and started running. A second later, something hit the ground behind me. I turned, and there lied a branch about 3" in diameter on the ground.

Be safe in the woods!

Another fruitless day today but weather was beautiful and I was feeling good.

I heard a loud crack above me and saw some disturbance in the shadows in front of me (sun was behind me). I lowered my head and started running. A second later, something hit the ground behind me. I turned, and there lied a branch about 3" in diameter on the ground.

Be safe in the woods!

I heard a large crack and something falling to the ground near me (although out of view) when I was in the woods the other day. The first thing I thought was "Ha! a tree fell in the forest and it did in fact make a noise! Myth busted!" Although, I guess I was "there" so maybe that doesn't prove anything.

definitely good to be on the lookout i noticed a lot of tree limbs in my area got pretty badily damaged in that storm right near haloween and havent fallen yet but are just hanging

Go deep enough in and you'll find hangers and leaners from the '08 ice storm. Some places are so thick the dead trees can't fall. They rot standing up, lean up against one and a section twenty feet up can break off and come pretty much straight down.

Friend of mine got a head full of stitches last year from a large branch falling on him while in stand last year. Now he wears a bike helmet with camo cloth wrapped around it when he is in stand.
Yes, we give him a hard time about it, but he wont go into his stand without it anymore.

they're still called widowmakers.

When I've been out scouting I've seen whole trees held up by others, not yet on the ground. Kinda scary.

Back
Top Bottom