1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Warranty for a repair of an appliance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by andy t, Jul 21, 2019.

1. andy t

andy t NES Member

I am having major issues with my Samsung fridge. Purchased in 2015, it suffers from a well known issue for Samsung refrigerators - ice build up causes fan to start sounding like a lawn mower. I filed a complaint with BBB and someone from Samsung office of the president arranged for a free "repair". It has been less than a month and the fridge is back to sounding just as bad. The repair was done by an official Samsung repair center. Under MA law, is there a warranty period on repair made?

2. Greg

Greg

Samsung said they didn't want to fix it again ?

3. andy t

andy t NES Member

Haven't heard back from Samsung yet. Just contacted everybody yesterday/today.

4. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i'm sure there's something on the states consumer affairs site. have a look there or call the ag's office tomorrow. the peons who answer the phone are actually very helpful most times. i know this from prior contact with them.

5. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Maura and chief spreading bull will get right on that for ya!

6. johnN

johnN NES Member

what did they do?

A friend of mine has the same problem. his might be a year or 2 older. there is a defrost control function to deice the coil under the fan for the evaporator I believe. that worked for a little while.

he was told by some one he knows that the best way to fix this is to empty the fridge, let the inside warm up and tear it down and melt the ice out with a heat gun. he did that and it only worked for 4 or 5 weeks and is doing it again.

I have a cousin that sells appliances, I will try to get a hold of him and see if he can find some info also.

my guess being a car guy, a/c is a/c fridge or a wrangler they work on the same principle. I think it may be a bad temp sensor on the evaporator causing the excessive icing problem.

7. Snora

Snora

Replacing parts isn't going to fix a design flaw. I'm curious if they actually have a fix or if they just throw parts at it until the consumer is bored with calling for service.

8. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Better.

9. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

Hmmm.... probably a lesson here. Never buy household appliances from the same company that makes phones and TVs. My Samsung microwave is a POS too. You know what they say about Jacks of all trades..... master of nothing.

10. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Mine did this too

11. snax

snax NES Member

Samsung is back to building junk. They started junky a long time back, started making good shit for awhile, now garbage. My TV died after 2 years. Wife's new phone is shit too.

12. andy t

andy t NES Member

This is a well known issue with Samsung fridges. There is even a facebook group dedicated to that. To address these issues in the past, I would, as other suggested, defrost the fridge, take off the back wall and clean out ice. This tended to last for only 6 months, which is unacceptable. I was able to get a free repair after filing a complaint against Samsung, and that didn't do much good.
    I did get a notification that I am going to get a "re-repair" but it's still a PITA.

13. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

I cannot help besides to say, I too have a Samsung Fridge, and I share your misery.
    Luckily mine only ices up so the freezer won't shut, so far......

14. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

I have an appliance technician who absolutely refuses to touch Samsung devices in fear of owning the issue after initial repair attempt. I think this is why--even if you "repair" it, there's a good chance of the issue coming back due to design flaw, not an actual broken part.

That being said, I read somewhere that this specific issue could be a larger problem, but could also just be a leveling issue. Hope for the latter. The suggestion was to just raise the front so that the wheels are off the ground (assuming yours has wheels). This prevents the condensation from collecting where is it freezing and messing with the evaporator motor. What seems level might actually be a bit too forward leaning. This seemed to fix the problem for some.

15. widnerkj

widnerkj

Oh damn. I seriously feel your pain. One of the first jobs I had when I lived in Los Angeles was home appliance repair for samsung. The Fridges are the 2nd worst offenders. (behind the dishwashers.) That said. The training was basically to band aide and easter egg the repairs until the warranty expired. The coolant cycle on those monsters is the worst thought out. As in cools the fridge, then goes to the freezer. So the HVAC side of it is constantly working too damn hard. So the system burns out. I can promise you, they will happily send someone over to randomly swap parts out until your warranty expires. The dryers and ovens eat control boards.

That said.... They make decent Televisions (in mexico) and good phones.

If you want a south Korean made home appliance (fridge, washer, dryer, etc..) LG manufactures them for most of the other brands. (kinda like how aero precision makes lowers for most mfr's.)

16. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    If you defrost with a heat gun - be careful. It's possible to melt the plastic. Ask me how I know. [laugh]

Use a hair dryer. And, I'm not too into lower-power options, usually.

17. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Finally took mine apart after mopping up the water for a long time. I'm having trouble figuring out what is going on with the tube on the top right? 41313.jpeg 41314.jpeg