• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Warnings about Mass LTC renewals.

Wait, you need to take a safety class to renew? Is something wrong here, or is Derek going to be posting that "We landed on the moon!" picture for me?

I know of one town that requires a "refresher" course upon renewal. I didn't think they required you take it from a particular police specified instructor. Did they specify where you had to take the course?

I moved to NH and applied for my Mass Non-Resident and attached a copy of my Mass LTC along with it. They just sent me an email today saying my appointment is Sept 14th for the Interview in Chelsea. 3 Months for the interview! I hate Mass, Hate it!

Watertown? Gotta be some dink town like that.... taking another course is NOT required to renew.

-Mike

This smells fishy. Is this trolling attempt, or a confused individual? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm ready to raise the BS flag.

I have heard of a couple of towns that require a new training cert when you renew. It's not the law, but it is within the CoP's discretion to set pretty much any bar he wants to.

I know some town do need refresher class as the requirement for LTC renewal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard of a couple of towns that require a new training cert when you renew. It's not the law, but it is within the CoP's discretion to set pretty much any bar he wants to.

Prime reason to hold up H.1567. Removes the bias of individual CoP's. My chief is about as green as they get, so it's a non issue for us, but listening to some of these makes you wanna tear your hair out.

Prime reason to hold up H.1567. Removes the bias of individual CoP's. My chief is about as green as they get, so it's a non issue for us, but listening to some of these makes you wanna tear your hair out.
I thank God every day I no longer live in Mass. I will NEVER willingly be disarmed again by the government. Hell, I won't even travel to a state I can't CC or open carry in unless I have no choice. 8 years disarmed by some jerkoff CoP in Mass. was enough.

Watertown? Gotta be some dink town like that.... taking another course is NOT required to renew.

-Mike

That would have been my first guess (ask me how I know... better yet, don't), but from the OP's comment "The safety class that I had to take filled up as soon as the police started taking reservations", it sounds like a PD that offers their own safety course.

Unless things have changed, WPD doesn't offer that training/certification.

They don't require you to take a driver course when renewing you driver's license (even though I very often think they should), so why would you need to for this? As a matter of fact you don't even have to in the medical field where you have people's lives in your hands for your very job, but they think they can for a LTC? Pretty dumb...

Dumb question, but why to you wait for the STATE to remind you that you have to renew? Over the years, this forum has very diligently disseminated the waiting times for renewal and initial application. Generally speaking you want to make an inquiry about 90 days out to your PD.

As far as retaking the safety course, there are 351 towns and cities in Mass and 351 separate gun laws with regard to firearms licensure.

Not trying to be an a$$hat here, but for a forum that prides itself on the self-reliance of its members, it would seem that waiting for the state to remind you, is just an expectation of the nanny-state to take care of you.

Maybe, I'm missing something here...I dunno..[thinking]

Dumb question, but why to you wait for the STATE to remind you that you have to renew? Over the years, this forum has very diligently disseminated the waiting times for renewal and initial application. Generally speaking you want to make an inquiry about 90 days out to your PD.

As far as retaking the safety course, there are 351 towns and cities in Mass and 351 separate gun laws with regard to firearms licensure.

Not trying to be an a$$hat here, but for a forum that prides itself on the self-reliance of its members, it would seem that waiting for the state to remind you, is just an expectation of the nanny-state to take care of you.

Some very good points!

I understand where you're coming from, but not every gun owner in this state is a member here.

You're correct that one shouldn't have to rely on the state to remind them that their license is due for renewal, but there also shouldn't be any expectation that it needs to be done months in advance.

The fact that state law even allows (and it wasn't always that way), a "grace" period, is acknowledgment that the current system is severely screwed up.

as a matter of fact i did take the advice of this forum, i inquired with
the local PD, answer "call me 30 days in advance of its expiration"

Did that exactly, and had my renewal in 3.5 weeks....

my advice, make the call, and follow thru as suggested...

some PD's may react differently, many thanks that mine is one of
the best in this state.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom