• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Warning to travelers

No, they actually don’t.
U so sure? I am not.
With claims ‘ if you had iPhone around capitol - u will get caught’. And they did.

Being "on the fed radar", no doubt even if they had arrived with entirely blank factory-sealed iPhones, DHS would've still "detected extremist content" if they really wanted to.

That's doubtful. Telling the nice DHS lady your phone password is implicit consent.

All modern phones (and tablets) default to device-level encryption and require not just a fingerprint but an actual passcode/password to unlock after a reboot. How big a target had these travelers painted on their own back that they are worth this kind of effort?

There are real backdoors ... just about everywhere that's key ... core routers included ... private key firmware stuff ... stuff that is not to be known but leveraged at the highest levels.

1668729121799.png

On a Pixel if you hold the power button it gives you a "lockdown" option that disables the fingerprint reader.

Screenshot_20221117-190807~2.png

Twice in the past few months I've become involved in cases that have a very ominous implication. I'm actually shocked.

In both of these cases US citizens returned to the country from overseas travel were detained by DHS. Their phones are seized and searched. In both cases "extremist" content was allegedly detected and state and federal investigations commenced.

The DHS has incredible authority over persons entering the US. I'm sure both of these people were on the fed radar and they were waiting for them to come back so it's not random. But it really makes you realize the electronic web we're living under.

U so sure? I am not.
With claims ‘ if you had iPhone around capitol - u will get caught’. And they did.

I missed the part where the article stated that apple unlocks iPhones for the .gov

Read it and weep:

Last February, the 1st Circuit upheld the practice, holding that CBP does not need consent, probable cause or even reasonable suspicion to search your phone, tablet or laptop and record unencrypted data. The Supreme Court denied cert.

Don't want to unlock your phone. That's cool, you don't have to. But the CBP can "detain" your phone while they hack it. If they hold it for more than 5 days, they need approval from a manager, and for more than 15 days requires approval at the director level. But they are allowed an indefinite number of extensions, so you may not see your device for a year or so. And if you're not a US citizen, they can refuse entry.

I missed the part where the article stated that apple unlocks iPhones for the .gov
"At least one criminal complaint for a person charged in connection with the attack specifically referenced an iPhone search, which turned up location data"

"At least one criminal complaint for a person charged in connection with the attack specifically referenced an iPhone search, which turned up location data"
Location data can be retrieved from your cell phone provider. Their server logs show which cell towers your phone hit. There is no need to get into your phone for that.

U so sure? I am not.

Months after claiming that the FBI needed Apple’s assistance to unlock a suspected terrorist’s iPhones, Attorney General Bill Barr announced on Monday that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) managed to unlock the phones on its own. In a statement that could serve as a harbinger of government-mandated privacy invasions to come, Barr harshly criticized Apple and called for a “legislative solution” to its obstinance.

“Thanks to the great work of the FBI — and no thanks to Apple — we were able to unlock Alshamrani’s phones,” Barr said in a press release.

The phones belonged to Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, who killed three people on a naval air station in Pensacola, Florida, in December. During its investigation into Alshamrani’s possible links to terrorist groups, the FBI uncovered two locked iPhones. As it did in 2016 during the investigation of another person with possible terrorist ties, the Department of Justice demanded that Apple unlock the phones for them. Apple has repeatedly said that it does not currently have the ability to unlock passcode-protected phones and that creating a backdoor that would allow the company to access locked devices would compromise the security and privacy on which its customers rely.

In this most recent case, Apple was not able to unlock the phones, although the company said that it gave the FBI access to any and all information related to Alshamrani that it had, including iCloud backups of Alshamrani’s phones.

Full text: Why Attorney General Bill Barr is mad at Apple

That's a legal fiction that they will always get away with, but it is 100% unconstitutional. I know people that lived there entire LIVES within 50 miles of the border, never mind 100 miles.
Yeah, it is ridiculous. The ACLU article mentions that 2/3 of Americans live within 100 miles of the border.

In past cases Apple refused to cooperate with the government but the last I heard there was a entity in Israel that was able to easily bypass the Apple encryption and get into the phones for the United States government

In past cases Apple refused to cooperate with the government but the last I heard there was a entity in Israel that was able to easily bypass the Apple encryption and get into the phones for the United States government

It’s all dependent on zero day bugs. Ones that have been used in the past are very likely to have been discovered and patched. But I’m sure there are some out there right now that can be bought for a few million.

It’s not always Israel though. The feds go on the dark web and hire people who sell zero day bugs for millions. There is a whole industry to it and they have legitimate brokers and everything. Currently, the vulnerabilities discovered for android are worth more than iOS, but that is a somewhat recent flip. IOS vulnerabilities used to be worth more.

Pro-tip: buy a cheap burner-like phone for international travel. Add only the bare minimum apps for efficient foreign travel and emergency contacts.
Pro tip #2 Never use a fingerprint for security on your phone, passwords only.

Don't laugh, some people don't know :)

Back
Top Bottom