Wanting to start shooting competively

I'm looking into shooting in competitions; I've done a lot to target shooting over the years and I'm looking to step it up my game. I'm currently in the market for a service 1911; any advice, mentoring or general nagging would be appreciated.

USPSA is fun. There's a group practice at Harvard and Hopkinton on Wednesday nights. That's a good way to get a feel for it.

If you get into action type competition shooting, make it a point to practice the draw as well as shooting.

I was shooting IPSC for a while (a few years) and got really good due to practicing all parts.

You can also look into three gun competitions. I've shot a couple of those and did really well even with a pump shotgun.

If you're a member of a club with an action type range, that would be a good place to practice. I would also suggest going to a few of the competitions close enough to you to observe. Then decide if it's something you want to get into/try out.

Of course, having a good 1911 is never a bad thing. [smile] Just get one that you can tweak as needed/wanted.

1911 allways a good start :)....

I've been looking into this my self .
One thing I learned from looking at rules (when jt comes to gear) def read them before you start buying stuff.

I'm looking into shooting in competitions; I've done a lot to target shooting over the years and I'm looking to step it up my game. I'm currently in the market for a service 1911; any advice, mentoring or general nagging would be appreciated.

there's a lot of different competitive shooting sports, can you narrow things down a bit? are you looking to do NRA Gallery style where you stand there shooting a timed string at a bullseye target or do you want to be moving around shooting at different stuff? if you want to be moving around do you want things to be more "game" like or would you like to pretend you're training for self-defense?

Back
Top Bottom