• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wanting a new rifle

zboys

NES Member
So my son, a recent Army soldier also just had his 19th birthday on turkey day. We went to VA to spend the time with him and we talked about not having an idea for a gift because of his limited mobility.
Then the thought crossed my mind, How about a new rifle waiting for you when you back home? He was all for that.
So initially he has come up with,
Ruger M77 rem mag, 7mm. or
Savage Axis creedmoor 6.5.

Just looking for opinions/personal experience on these or other like rifle ideas.
Ill be buying this soon for him to help him build his collection while he can

I'm very impressed with the Remington 783 I bought last year. Got mine in .300wm and it was pretty cheap. What's the rifle going to be used for?

I'm very impressed with the Remington 783 I bought last year. Got mine in .300wm and it was pretty cheap. What's the rifle going to be used for?
Play for now, his future may bring him hunting where rifles can be used. I have a 300 win mag already

End use?
Buddy of mine just went on a purchase frenzy. All hell bent to spend money. Was thinking all fancy 6.5 something
He ended up spending about $1500 on several older rifles.
A nice Remington 748 308
Win 99
A older savage in 223 with ugly bench stock and heavy barrel and a nice scope
A 336 30/30 it’s got the been there look but super smooth and worn with love.

FWIW:

I have a Savage Axis in 30-06. It is considered an “entry level” rifle. Out of the box the trigger is terrible and the scope is functional. After putting in a Timmey trigger and a good scope on it it is a good shooter.

I knew this going in and I use the scope on my 22 which needed a new scope anyway. You are better off spending more up front unless he likes to tinker.

This rifle also has a light barrel which is great as I bought it for hunting black bear. The downside of a light barrel is that it heats up faster at the range. Something to keep in mind depending on what you are going to use it for.

Bob

the newer line of ruger american predator rifles will be slightly more expensive savage axis but run off AICS magazines. if you're looking for a very nifty mag-fed rifle that shoots the world's cheapest centerfire ammo, go with a ruger american ranch in 7.62x39. it might be one of the coolest rifles i own:

Ruger American Rifle Ranch 7.62x39 with Flat Dark Earth Synthetic Stock

--
after getting into the howa 1500 line, for the $$ one cannot beat the build quality and barrel performance. Classic Firearms has very good selection of them. they don't come with a scope base so for warne rings or a rail factor in that cost.

--
to me the savage axis is just meh. if looking for a savage i would skip the axis and go up to the standard actions. savage is running a promotion right now

Savage 110 Tactical 308 Win Bolt-Action Rifle with 20-Inch Threaded Barrel

That's a nice gift.

I have shot an M77 for a few years now, chambered in 22-250 (actually the "V" [varmint] model with the heavy barrel--I don't know if they still make them) with a Leupold scope and it's probably the most accurate rifle I own (apologies to my match M1 and Lee Enfield). They are nice rifles. There are cheaper options out there, but it's nice for sure.

I've only handled a Tikka T3 but the action was very impressive. If I were getting a bolt gun now, it's probably what I'd lean towards. CZ also makes fun bolt guns, I almost got a CZ 527, it's a bolt gun in .223 or 7.62x39, cheap and plentiful calibers.
CZ 527 Carbine - CZ-USA

Did a lot of reading and visited a couple of places to see first hand and just purchased the Savage Axis II in 30-06 (black composite stock) on Gunbroker today - $369 with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope and no shipping/no cc fees. Plus, Savage has extended their $60 rebate promotion for the Axis. Merry Christmas to me!

Did a lot of reading and visited a couple of places to see first hand and just purchased the Savage Axis II in 30-06 (black composite stock) on Gunbroker today - $369 with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope and no shipping/no cc fees. Plus, Savage has extended their $60 rebate promotion for the Axis. Merry Christmas to me!
That's cheaper than a mosin nagant these days.

That's a nice gift.

I have shot an M77 for a few years now, chambered in 22-250 (actually the "V" [varmint] model with the heavy barrel--I don't know if they still make them) with a Leupold scope and it's probably the most accurate rifle I own (apologies to my match M1 and Lee Enfield). They are nice rifles. There are cheaper options out there, but it's nice for sure.

I've only handled a Tikka T3 but the action was very impressive. If I were getting a bolt gun now, it's probably what I'd lean towards. CZ also makes fun bolt guns, I almost got a CZ 527, it's a bolt gun in .223 or 7.62x39, cheap and plentiful calibers.
CZ 527 Carbine - CZ-USA
Tikka T3.

Merry Christmas to you.

My wife bought me one a few years back. It is a good shooter once you get it set up. I put a Timmey trigger in mine (Axis, not Axis II) and a good scope on it. The scope that it comes with it is bottom of the barrel and is now on my .22.

Mine shoots the 180g Hornady American Whitetail well and it will likely do well in yours once it is broken in: 30-06 Springfield 180 gr InterLock® SP American Whitetail® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

It has a thin barrel so make sure to let it cool between shots. I usually bring my .22 for fun between groups.

Bob

My son is a big fan of Ruger and his 77s are all nice rifles. He always manages to make cute clover patterns at 200 yards with handloads.
I have been a big fan of 6.5 since Sweden started using it. The 6.5 has a great BC, is heavy enough for most NA game and can be great for sniping groundhogs.
I have no personal experience with the Axis but I do have a 110 in 30-06 that is kind of ugly but shoots straight and true.

For just a couple hundred more, you'd get a new Savage 110 tactical, in either 6.5 Kardashian or .308. Accustock with adjustable cheekpiece, oversized bolt handle, EGW scope rail and bottom metal that accepts AI or Magpul 10 rounders. In .308, you have the choice between 20 and 24 inch barrels, dual front sling swivel. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

I didn't realize they had branched out into ammo R&D and manufacturing. Is there nothing they won't shamelessly stick their fingers into? [rofl]

A barrel I suppose but I wouldn’t put it past ‘em.

I have always considered getting the Ruger Gunsite in 7.62 or .308. Sweet looking rifle. The proprietary mags bother me though.

The Ruger M77 I owned was the most accurate rifle I have ever fired. I had the stainless bull barrel with heavy varmint stock. It weighed a lot, but you definitely wouldn't believe examples of how accurate it was. I sometimes had trouble believing it while it was happening.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlwoNCNnFA&index=3&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lYKFz5LaRU&index=12&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oniV0MAme4&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&index=13

Kid seems to know his stuff. Has a whole series of vids where he goes through the entire process of choosing a long range rifle. First three vids I linked to were just cartridge and rifle selection. Long series but I found it very interesting.

He calls it Sniper 101 but spends most of the time discussing hunting and target shooting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

There's a few rifles I would recommend, and they've already been mentioned here. The Ruger American Predator (also look at the Ranch series) in .223/5.56 and 7.62x39 are great values, take common box magazines, and respond well when placed in a chassis. The next step up, I would recommend the new Savage 110 series Tactical, either .223, .308, 6.5 Creed, or even .243 Winchester if it's available and you stumble on the right deal, the .243 is very under-rated in my opinion. Caliber selection depends on what game he is looking to pursuit with the rifle in the future and within what ranges, but calibers between .243 - .308 will be well suited for deer and not break the wallet when he goes to the range, and components are common if he were to reload.

After the Savage 110, I would strongly consider the Tikka T3 series in the same calibers as above. Incredibly smooth actions, in my experience shoot incredibly well. Their T3X Lite, for a lightweight "hunting" rifle, shoots very well even with a hot barrel in my experiences.

Of course, leave some room for some nice acceptable glass and rings.

Back
Top Bottom