• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wanted to know what you use.

Just started shooting cast bullets , want to know what you use to clean . My all around cleaner is Ballistol , worked OK on cast but is there something just for cast or works better . Will be shooting out of a 357 but will be shooting 38's . Cleaning the cylinders is alittle harder , will eventually be using them in my 1911's . All input is appreciated .
Chris

Trashcan
I did try CLR on my bolt action benchrest rifle , wasn't SS it almost discolored my bolt face but did get more carbon out of the barrel after cleaning with my normal cleaner . I stopped using it but I will give it a try on my SS S&W mod.65 3" 357 thanks Dan.
Chris

If any leading, for heavy cleaning I use an old Lewis Lead Remover, which essentially was fine brass round screen wrapped around a rubber plug/jag.

For medium cleaning I use J&B Bore Compound or Polish. Otherwise I use Butch’s Bore Shine.

I used to go through gallons of Ballistol for my black powdah toys, but now I can’t stand the smell. But I never thought it was a good cleaner for either centerfire dirt or leading.

I don't know why you'd put CLR near a firearm unless its rusted. Its Calcium Lime and Rust remover, none of which are going to be in cast loads.

I don't know why you'd put CLR near a firearm unless its rusted. Its Calcium Lime and Rust remover, none of which are going to be in cast loads.

You'd be surprised how well it cleans stainless and lifts carbon off. Ultrafine scotchbrite on the cylinder face gets that tell-tale carbon stain off, and you'll never damage it. You'd never know by looking down the barrel or the cylinders that I have about 8000 rounds through it. The outside of it on the other hand...........well, I run it pretty hard. Scratches here and there. Its made to take a pounding.
I wouldn't submerge it, but a wet patch down that barrel and cylinders and in about 10 mins you could shave off that thing.

I wouldn't use it on blued steel. Got a cordless for that. Zings right through those cylinders.

Oh definitely keep it FAR AWAY from blued steel!! Bluing is basically a form of rust so that would be bad news.

Found some mercury , its the best lead remover.
My supply vanished , I suspect my dad took it when he moved back to Roxbury.
that said.
1. Step in keeping your barrels free of lead is the correct size bullet , correct lube

My favorite cleaner over the past several years was Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Sadly no longer out there. Im on my last 3 or 4 squirts.

The Lewis lead remover tool works very good.
The poor mans version works too
ChoreBoy Bronze whool- wrapped around a worn brush for stubborn lead.

I use Remington 40x for deep cleaning , Honeslty there are so many cleaners now its crazy. If you find yourself fighting lead get a few lead specific cleaners and see what works.

One thing that works for me is i dont get to crazy "cleaning" my bore after each range trip.
My cast loads get a 3 CLP patches when I get home.
1. Wet , 1. Dry to get the carbon fouling(sometimes 2) 1. Last patch with clp and into the safe.
Anytime I pull a rifle/handgun from the safe for range use I run 2 dry patches to remove any oil
Im a firm believe that a seasoned bore will be less prone to leading.

Last edited:
I use any lead remover for guns. Works on my SS and blued guns. No issues.

Beyond your typical cleaning regiment , when I shoot cast through my GP100 or my 460 mag stainless revolvers I clean the lead residue with this

The BC patches work awesome for removing stubborn lead residue. They are especially good for scrubbing off all the lead deposits around the forcing cone.

Thanks guys for all your information , I have the Birchwood cloth , great for removing burn marks on the face of the cylinder on my SS revolver , also ordered the Sharp Shooters No Lead to see how it works. Ballistol is my #1 cleaner but my wife hates to smell. Never shot hard cast bullets but opened up a new world for me . I'll be trying some 148 gr.DEWC & 158 gr. SWC by RimRock bullets, do you have to add lube or shoot them how they come , I'm using them for SD practice , mild load max. 7 - 10 yards . Thanks again for answering my post.
Chris

Looks like they come with lube on them
Nice, those should do well and make nice clean holes. Dont be afraid to stretch it out some.
Grab some B6 targets and get to 25 yards! Stretch them SWC out B8 target at 50

Last edited:
I'm not going to say its life altering or a total game changer but-

If your going to consistently shoot lead (or a mix for that matter), if you haven't already, ream the cylinder throats.
I noticed my groups tightened up and the chrono results show velocity/s.d./e.s. were a lot more steady.
A lot of the mass produced wheel guns show throat variations. Even .0005 across all 6 or 8 can make a difference.

Trachcan
Correcting cylinder throats , if I could do that I would , above my pay grade . I wouldn't send it out on a carry gun but I would if my handgun was for dead on accuracy. I am that way with my benchrest rifle. The revolvers I'll be using the cast bullets are both S & W model 36 2" Chief .38 spl.and mod. 65 3" .357 strictly carry and fun guns. I once had a S&W 38 auto that only shot wadcutters , very accurate used lead HBWC only in it, sold it to a friend. Be Well TCD.
Chris

Mac1911
I'm sure I'll bring the target out , indoor range max. 30 yards. I do go out with my 1911's Colt 70 series Government and Colt 1911 New Agent 3" both 45acp shot only 230FMJ's both mild loads W231 4.8 set at 1.155 Be Well.100% reliable.
Chris

Mac1911
I'm sure I'll bring the target out , indoor range max. 30 yards. I do go out with my 1911's Colt 70 series Government and Colt 1911 New Agent 3" both 45acp shot only 230FMJ's both mild loads W231 4.8 set at 1.155 Be Well.100% reliable.
Chris
Nice,
I run semi wad cutters in my SW 1911, loaded with clays until It functions 100%
Powder puff target loads. Fun to shoot.
I have been reduced to 25 yards at one club and its to busy at another to go 50 yards.
I slso have a SW chief 38spl that I load super soft with light bullets for range fun.

Mac
Never tried SWC in my 1911's , may be one day.on my Chief I found the Pachmayr Compact Professional grips just perfect for me , tried Tyler T with the standard wood grips OK but the Pachmayrs open back strap no finger grove just perfect. Be Well.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom