• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wanted some input on Ruger New model Blackhawk

Hi
was looking at picking up a SA Blackhawk.
Have always wanted a SA revolver.
Was wondering if I should get the .45 colt or the .357 mag.
I'm guessing I can shoot .38 out of the .357 for target correct?
(I own a .38 snbby I CC.)

I was also thinking I might like to try to use it for hunting deer up in NH
(is it legal)
Anyways I have shot a S&W .357 snubby and could handle the recoil with no real problem. I was wounder how the recoil would be with these two blackhawks? I'm guess alot less, being a longer barrel and heaver gun all around.
And which cal should I buy?
Is either ok for hunting deer up here in the northeast?

OR should I just go get the hand cannon .44 mag.....:):)

thanks

Last edited:
New model Blackhawk

I have 4 sa ruger revolvers. .22lr/.22magnum , .38sp/.38sp+p/9mm/.357magnum, .45colt, .44sp/.44magnum. My father likes the .45colt. I like my hunter .44magnum. You can shoot .44sp in the .44magnum. If you are going to hunt deer I would go with the .44magnum.

357 for target 45 colt for deer.

You can get the 45 colt to match the ballistics or surpass those of a .44 magnum.

If you have experience reloading you can load the .45 to maximum pressures in the blackhawk as long as it isn't the 50th anniversery model, I beleive. Either way, make sure you don't exceed the maximum pressure that is in the manual.

You can also buy the real heavy +P loads by buffalo bore and other manufacturers that'll make the .45 hit as hard or harder than the .44.

Back
Top Bottom