• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wanted: NRA Instructor

I would like to have the services of an NRA instructor who can officially oversee my course of fire for my application for a R.I. Non-resident permit. I have all the paperwork, can get the targets, guns and ammo are on me.

My range is the MRA in woburn, but we could go anywhere. Obviously I'd pay for your time.

R.I. needs a copy of the NRA Instructor's instructor certificate too.

Any takers? [grin]

RI Qualification

Available by appointment in Hopkinton, $5.00 donation to the Hopkinton club requested but not required and we have Army L targets in stock. Copy of MA and NRA cert provided with the signature on your form.

Last edited:
Hey! Can more join in on the fun? I'm thinking about getting my RI license as well, since I am now commuting through Providence daily.

Can we come up with a date/time that works for all?

Ken

Hey! Can more join in on the fun? I'm thinking about getting my RI license as well, since I am now commuting through Providence daily.

Can we come up with a date/time that works for all?

Ken

Ken,

From reading the RI Application, it looks like any NRA Pistol Instructor can certify qualification for the course of fire. Section 11-47-15 specifies the COF and 11-47-16 specifies who can certify qualification.

Assuming the instructor plays it 100% by the letter of the paperwork, the toughest part of the entire process is finding the Army-L (a/k/a NRA B-22) targets, which are generally unavailable because customers don't want 10 rings the size of grapefruit and 7 rings the size of manhole covers. I don't play games with the distance, target or course of fire. The standard is easy enough that I would wonder about someone carrying a gun who couldn't exceed it by a comfortable margin.

If you are granted an RI LTC, it will list the maximum caliber you are allowed to carry, so I suggest a 45 if you don't own a fifty. You will need 30 rounds.

Does Sunday morning work?

Last edited:
Sure, the COF looks pretty short- 30 rounds slow fire at 25 yards at an army L target.

I'd like to do mine ASAP, and for anyone else you'd have to pick up the application in Providence....or....I could xerox the relevant pages, distribute to all interested, and you can have the shootin' part of the application done, then pick up the real application at your lesiure, and you are set!

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned- my only available time slots are generally weekdays though.

I can generally handle this on weekdays in the evening, from about 6:30 PM on. The club location is 3 miles south of the I90/495 intersection (mass pike to 495; 495 south to exit 21A, right at first light on Lumber st, clus is one mild down on the left). PM me for an appointment, and please include a phone number.

Links to the forms are on-line at http://www.riag.ri.gov/public/pr.php?ID=723

You will need a ten-print card from your local PD or, last I checked, the RIAG would send you one if you sent a 8.5x11 FLAT addressed envelope with sufficient postage.

The offer is open to pretty much all forum members.

For those of you thinking of getting your out of state RI permit make sure you have a rock solid reason for needing it. As part of the application process you have to provide a letter stating your reasons for needing a carry permit in RI. Notice I've indicated needing it instead of wanting it. If you state you want one without a particular reason, it will be denied.

I put together my package last year and sent it in. After not hearing back for a few months I contacted them to see I could get a status. I sent the package overnight with a tracking number and gave that to them in case it help locate my request. I got a call back saying it was lost and that I'll need to resubmit it. The lady was nice and told me to send it directly to her seeing they lost my first one, so I sent a second package. Luckily I had made copies of all the required material.

I figured at this point I was in a good position to get it approved. A month or so later I get an envelop from them. I was initially excited figuring my permit had come in. That is until I opened the letter. It was on RI letterhead and all it said was "Your request for an out of state RI LTC has been denied. Insufficient need." That was it. I guess I should of appealed it, but I didn't. Oh well.

If you do the shoot with Rob, you will be all set. Myself and a few others did this shoot with him and it went very smoothly.

Good luck in getting your permit.

Back
Top Bottom