Want your restrictions removed? See this post for how.

One town chief's idea about what a certain restriction means, and what rules must be followed, may be completely different than the next town over.

Does that clear it up for you?

The only list I've seen that details the restrictions is for the non-resident licenses. Even then, they're not legally defined. eg : C&R (that was mentioned earlier) wasn't on the list I saw previously.

The only list I've seen that details the restrictions is for the non-resident licenses. Even then, they're not legally defined. eg : C&R (that was mentioned earlier) wasn't on the list I saw previously.

There really is no list that is binding. If you do happen to find a list somewhere, you'll get so many interpretations of it, it will make your head spin. Each jurisdiction can put WHATEVER they want as restrictions. IE; "carry restricted to rainy days while wearing sandals".

We have discussed this for years here.

Edit: One CLEO says (verbally) to you, "target means you may carry to and from the range. I have no problem with that". Another CLEO, in another town tells you, "If I catch you CCing to or from the range, I will pull your LTC!"

The best thing to do is play it safe, and keep the gun locked up.

Last edited:
There really is no list that is binding. If you do happen to find a list somewhere, you'll get so many interpretations of it, it will make your head spin. Each jurisdiction can put WHATEVER they want as restrictions. IE; "carry restricted to rainy days while wearing sandals".

We have discussed this for years here.

Edit: One CLEO says (verbally) to you, "target means you may carry to and from the range. I have no problem with that". Another CLEO, in another town tells you, "If I catch you CCing to or from the range, I will pull your LTC!"

The best thing to do is play it safe, and keep the gun locked up.

I never said it was binding, just that one was published for the Non-Resident LTC Holders by the issuing entity.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/non-resident-application-revised-05-19-15.pdf

Will someone from comm2a please chime in for this question. if i receive a call from the springfield pd denying my request for my restrictions being lifted, should i ask for the denial and the reason for the denial in writing. Will having it in writing help if comm2a so decides to take my case to court in the future

I think the first step would be you appealing it your self to see how far it gets you. If you get denied again, appeal again with a lawyer, or Comm2A. Just like Deflate gate.. there's no limit to appeals I dont think.

I think the first step would be you appealing it your self to see how far it gets you. If you get denied again, appeal again with a lawyer, or Comm2A. Just like Deflate gate.. there's no limit to appeals I dont think.
I just got a call from the pd. Request was denied...AGAIN. Springfield really sucks

Just curious if anyone has talked to Bob Hedlund (newly elected mayor of Weymouth (former state senator with an A+ from NRA)) about Weymouth's practice of putting restrictions on LTC's. I've been licensed here for well over a couple decades but always get restrictions though I've asked for no restrictions. The last time I applied I asked why I got the T & H again and I was told that they only issue no restrictions to business owners and LEO. That sat wrong with me for a number of reasons. I have to renew again in another year or so and it would be refreshing to see some type of change to a seemingly privileged policy.

Just curious if anyone has talked to Bob Hedlund (newly elected mayor of Weymouth (former state senator with an A+ from NRA)) about Weymouth's practice of putting restrictions on LTC's. I've been licensed here for well over a couple decades but always get restrictions though I've asked for no restrictions. The last time I applied I asked why I got the T & H again and I was told that they only issue no restrictions to business owners and LEO. That sat wrong with me for a number of reasons. I have to renew again in another year or so and it would be refreshing to see some type of change to a seemingly privileged policy.

The policy is changed. Comm2A sued them.

Comm2A sued Weymouth for issuing restricted LTCs to most people. Weymouth agreed to change their policy. Write a nice letter to the chief politely asking to have your restrictions removed. Then go see the licensing officer.

If you're happy with your unrestricted LTC don't forget how it happened: Comm2A

Knuckle Dragger
I posted this elsewhere with the hopes someone from Comm2A would read it. Your thoughts please. I've done no appeal as of today.

[h=2]
icon1.png
Hunting Target Restriction Remove Request Advice.[/h]
Ok I live in Revere MA and received my LTC-A on 5/2013. Upon receiving my card I noticed it had a target/hunting restriction. I asked the issuing Lieutenant, why, and her response was "the Chief issues all new LTC's with the restriction at first. 6 months later it can be removed as long as the owners record is clean. 6 months later I went to the station only to be told I misunderstood and it was 6 years at the next renewal. She instructed me to draft a letter to the Chief on the reasons why the Chief should consider the removal of the restriction earlier than the renewal date.
During this time since 2013 I have lost my left leg below the knee and right last 2 toes and right middle finger due to diabetes. I walk with a left prosthetic and pretty much get along ok. Other than a small limp you may never know. I am considered disabled.
Now my question: obviously I don't have the balance I used to so all the more I believe in a physical altercation I don't believe or have the confidence that I can protect myself, family or property as well as I used to before my disability.
Do you think this is a good reason in asking for the removal of the restriction or could that backfire stating that I may be considered unable at all to handle a firearm?
I myself know it's not but could the Chief deny on that basis?
What would you do?​

Comm2A sued Weymouth for issuing restricted LTCs to most people. Weymouth agreed to change their policy. Write a nice letter to the chief politely asking to have your restrictions removed. Then go see the licensing officer.

If you're happy with your unrestricted LTC don't forget how it happened: Comm2A
I hope you guys get to springfield soon as they do the same lol

Thought I'd give a brief update as I asked originally in this post a few weeks ago. I had written to the CLEO and expressed my desire to remove my restrictions and provided the same reasons as I had put down originally. To his credit, I got a call from the licensing bureau immediately. After discussing it over the phone, I was informed that my reasons warranted an LTC-A but not an unrestricted as none of those provided gave a reason for personal protection. Before anyone jumps on that, I'm just synopsizing so there is more to it and in a good way, the new licensing officer is very easy to deal with. I added somethings to my reasons though that part, in my mind, is a thin line between common sense and coming out as being paranoid when reading it back to myself. As it stands I am now waiting on my unrestricted license to come in so as knuckle Dragger suggested, thanks comm2A and also a nod in Weymouths PD's direction for a pleasant change and quick response.

Thought I'd give a brief update as I asked originally in this post a few weeks ago. I had written to the CLEO and expressed my desire to remove my restrictions and provided the same reasons as I had put down originally. To his credit, I got a call from the licensing bureau immediately. After discussing it over the phone, I was informed that my reasons warranted an LTC-A but not an unrestricted as none of those provided gave a reason for personal protection. Before anyone jumps on that, I'm just synopsizing so there is more to it and in a good way, the new licensing officer is very easy to deal with. I added somethings to my reasons though that part, in my mind, is a thin line between common sense and coming out as being paranoid when reading it back to myself. As it stands I am now waiting on my unrestricted license to come in so as knuckle Dragger suggested, thanks comm2A and also a nod in Weymouths PD's direction for a pleasant change and quick response.

Congratulations, but they're still stonewalling. They tried to intimidate you into not pushing it, but good for you, that you did! I thought they were through with that crap!

Maybe Billsail, I didn't feel intimidated but as I said, it's much better then it was. Hopefully someday, the state will go shall issue. I see no sense at all anyway in restrictions if someone has met all the requirements they've put in place, why make someone a potential criminal for all the various definitions of how those restrictions apply. Just a bunch of little fiefdoms really but mine has loosened up some.

I would love to get my restrictions removed however is it going to put a target on my back with my local p.d.??? The whole thing is Stupid. I have never broken a law not even a speeding ticket, I have been shooting since 1975, Waltham Ma gives me restricted ltc. I even wrote a letter to the chief last year to ask for restrictions to be removed. I was denied.

It's ridiculous can't even carry with a license to carry this state crazy I have restrictions and I just don't get it I have never been in trouble eaither but that doesn't matter in this state

- - - Updated - - -

From what I read not sure if it's true you can apply for a judiciary review at the records burea

- - - Updated - - -

Again a license to carry and you can't carry

I would love to get my restrictions removed however is it going to put a target on my back with my local p.d.??? The whole thing is Stupid. I have never broken a law not even a speeding ticket, I have been shooting since 1975, Waltham Ma gives me restricted ltc. I even wrote a letter to the chief last year to ask for restrictions to be removed. I was denied.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...rictions-who-want-to-remove-them-please-PM-me

This guy may be able to help

Sent a letter to the chief licensing officer at BPD a couple weeks ago. Had my LTC since 2012. Never been in trouble, not even a speeding ticket.

Got a letter today and was denied. "... you could not show that you have proper purpose to possess said license."

awesome.

Does anyone know if Peabody is difficult to get an Unrestricted LTC? This would be my first license to carry. I saw in past posts that it was a few years ago. Not sure if they have gotten better about it?

So I got my LTC unrestricted in a red town.. part of the deal was that I need to own a business in town... luckily I do BUT from a legal perspective how is this not discriminatory? Isn't this like saying that I'm only entitled to free speech or the ability to vote if I own a business? It seems so simplistically against the constitution how do they get away with that? Also... why is my / families life worth protecting more because I own a business VS someone who does not? I'm no lawyer but why can Comm2A blow something like that out of the water with little or no effort ?
TKS!

So I got my LTC unrestricted in a red town.. part of the deal was that I need to own a business in town... luckily I do BUT from a legal perspective how is this not discriminatory? Isn't this like saying that I'm only entitled to free speech or the ability to vote if I own a business? It seems so simplistically against the constitution how do they get away with that? Also... why is my / families life worth protecting more because I own a business VS someone who does not? I'm no lawyer but why can Comm2A blow something like that out of the water with little or no effort ?
TKS!
Regrettably, the federal courts have universally upheld licensing policies that only grant special people (well connected, or can prove they carry cash) a carry permit (unrestricted in the MA vernacular).

In those cases where the federal court held that everyone was to be treated equally regardless of social station, the appeals court overruled. The 9th even granted a rare en-banc because they did not like a favorable appellate decision. There has been no federal decision mandating equal treatment of all applicants.

Back
Top Bottom