Want your restrictions removed? See this post for how.

This legislation is a mess. The intent appears to have been to simply eliminate the A with no other changes. Their copy and paste jobs may have done more, but it doesn't appear to have been intentional.

This legislation is a mess. The intent appears to have been to simply eliminate the A with no other changes. Their copy and paste jobs may have done more, but it doesn't appear to have been intentional.

I think a LOT of it is this, in a nutshell. I think they don't fully read and comprehend what they have when they haul off and do this stuff. Is it due to poor education, lack of scruples, both, or something else? Let's not forget the LTC-D is it will also go away with the pepper spray bill.

Maybe I need to haul out that MA Gun Laws poster again for them to see it all in one place.

The entire law seems to be written in a way where no one can win.

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper;

It seems the entire purpose of Class A, as it's written into law is to carry for all lawful purposes, but then the line directly after that statement is entirely contradictory.

(a) A Class A license... subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; It seems the entire purpose of Class A, as it's written into law is to carry for all lawful purposes, but then the line directly after that statement is entirely contradictory.

IANAL but the phrase "subject to" is damning for us. I would guess this (extreme limitation) is what must be legally challenged. A licensing authority can deem anything, in their very subjective opinion, not "proper" and therefore not allowable as the entire Class A license is "subject to" the subjective proclivities of one person.

Question .... I currently have "no restrictions" on my LTC. I recently moved to a red town. When I have to renew my LTC does the red town have the right to put restrictions on my license?

Question .... I currently have "no restrictions" on my LTC. I recently moved to a red town. When I have to renew my LTC does the red town have the right to put restrictions on my license?

Yes.

Some red towns just play the game of "keep the numbers low", but will let renewals go through without adding restrictions. Some others, particularly black towns, won't.

I live in springfield. When applying for my ltc, under reasoning i put all lawful purposes. My application was handed back and i was told springfield does not do all lawful purposes. I got my license with the target and hunting restrictions. I would love to get my restrictions removed

Last edited:
pochito413, i have the ltc from springfield with the same restrictions...i had to go to the licenses window and submit in writing my reasons for wanting my restrictions lifted, that was last tuesday, im still waiting for a reply

pochito413, i have the ltc from springfield with the same restrictions...i had to go to the licenses window and submit in writing my reasons for wanting my restrictions lifted, that was last tuesday, im still waiting for a reply

I never even got in writing the reasoning for getting these restrictions. my reasoning was for personal protection and being a cpr instructor I can carry large amounts of cash at any time. I also had a work reason as my company owns a few buildings in downtown springfield and im on call for any alarms but my job was afraid of it affecting their insurance so they did not want to give me a letter stating that. not because hey are anti as the coo which would of had to write the letter has his ltc

i was told i was lucky to get target and hunting by friends of mine that only got fid, be careful how much you mention work related because they can issue for work only, this is what ive heard anyway...i too never got an explaination as to why i received hunting and target and was told by the licensing clerk i would be able to have my day with the chief which i never got. it sux that if i was smart a year before when i lived in west side i could of gotten an ltc no restrictions. oh well good luck

I look forward to seeing how this all goes with Peabody and Weymouth. I have friends with restrictions in both of those locations.

I'll be personally pursuing getting my restrictions removed in Boston after the turn of the year. Taking personal training courses now and through Jan. Planning to take the Instructors certification course in Feb as that seems to be the most attainable way. Willing to take in any further advise you might have for a Boston Res.

i live in water town no chance i can ever get my restrictions lifted i assume?
thanks for any insight.

Hopefully Comm2A can change this, but Watertown is so far gone that I know a retired LEO that moved to Watertown and can't get an unrestricted LTC out of them!!

find your licensing authority and tell them that you would like to have your restrictions lifted, in springfield i spoke with the ladies at the firearms window at the pearl st station and they took a copy of my license and i had to write a letter to whom it may concern....i told them why i wanted them lifted and that i was a hunter and target shooter and also a member of a local club. 2 weeks later i had my new license with no restrictions. now my situation may be different than any of yours as i moved to chicopee after i received my restricted license from springfield and sent the proper paperwork to the station and the dps informing them of the move. i was only a license holder in springfield for 6 months before i decided to ask for the none restricted and springfield is still my issuing city . but my address is now my chicopee address on my license with john barbieri's signature on the back, who is now the springfield police commissioner ...so he is the one who actually lifted my restrictions....for anyone who is still reading, long story short sounds like mr barbieri is handing out none restrictions so get them while they are hot! good luck

Mpoirier83,
If you don't mind me asking, in the letter that you wrote asking for your restrictions to be removed what was your reasoning? I know they ask for reasons why you would like it lifted. I am a target & hunting restricted LTC holder from springfield and I want to get these lifted, I'm just not sure what to say exactly. I know they don't care about the "it's my right" card. At the end of the day, it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Thanks

find your licensing authority and tell them that you would like to have your restrictions lifted, in springfield i spoke with the ladies at the firearms window at the pearl st station and they took a copy of my license and i had to write a letter to whom it may concern....i told them why i wanted them lifted and that i was a hunter and target shooter and also a member of a local club. 2 weeks later i had my new license with no restrictions. now my situation may be different than any of yours as i moved to chicopee after i received my restricted license from springfield and sent the proper paperwork to the station and the dps informing them of the move. i was only a license holder in springfield for 6 months before i decided to ask for the none restricted and springfield is still my issuing city . but my address is now my chicopee address on my license with john barbieri's signature on the back, who is now the springfield police commissioner ...so he is the one who actually lifted my restrictions....for anyone who is still reading, long story short sounds like mr barbieri is handing out none restrictions so get them while they are hot! good luck

Thanks for this info. I am up for renew in July and I honestly believe my restrictions will be lifted in Springfield. Been in the city now for 6 years finally purchasing a home in May of last year. I hope I am not disappointed.

To anyone looking to get a “Sporting” or similar restriction lifted hopefully this will help. Please note that much depends on your town as well as your record.

My license was issued in a “red” town. Also on Comm2a’s website the numbers were not in my favor (http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/8-home/222-2015-data). But despite having a clean record I received the dreaded restriction of “Sporting”. Fast forward three years, my wife and I decided to move, luckily, to a green town (it may have made me like the house a little more lol). Doing research online and here it seemed the best approach was to have my old town expire my license, then start the process from scratch in my new town. Which meant paperwork, $100.00, blah-blah.

Having this information I left voicemails for my old town’s police department briefly explaining the situation and to please call me back. It took about a week but they did call me back. They advised me to simply proceed to re-apply in my new town stating that expiring my license with firearms in the house was not a good idea, and depending on their policies they will issue me a new LTC. Basically instead of renewing my license a month ahead of time I will be doing it a few years ahead of time. So again, armed with this information, I called my new town’s police department (who I spoke with before) and discussed this with them. As I expected, due to the fact that they have been nothing but helpful up to this point, I had an appointment in less than a week. Yes, LESS THAN A WEEK (my old town had a four month wait).

To sum it up, I’ve had my appointment and if everything goes smoothly my unrestricted license should be here in about six weeks and I can’t wait. I have legally concealed carried many times under the sporting restriction but not having to worry about the legality of it will be a great feeling. I hope this information helps someone and big thanks to everyone on here for answering questions and big thanks to “mpoirier83” for putting up with my PMs.

Last edited:
They advised me to simply proceed to re-apply in my new town stating that expiring my license with firearms in the house was not a good idea, and depending on their policies they will issue me a new LTC.
Your new town will not be able to issue an LTC until the old one has been expired, however, if they are helpful, they can contact the issuing PD for the old one and request the expiration be done.

Unless you have been turned down for your new license, or become ineligible by statute, the only risk to possession/carry on an expired LTC is a $100 fine, plus the expense of explaining that law to the system.

Your new town will not be able to issue an LTC until the old one has been expired, however, if they are helpful, they can contact the issuing PD for the old one and request the expiration be done.

Unless you have been turned down for your new license, or become ineligible by statute, the only risk to possession/carry on an expired LTC is a $100 fine, plus the expense of explaining that law to the system.

The best part about this is that once one expires it, the new one can be sent in, minimizing the amount of time in between. That's the benefit.

So would it be in my best interest to contact my old town and have them expire it? Would I have to do that even if my license was close to expiring?

I emailed Comm2A last week. I didn't get a response yet. I want to get my restriction removed in Boston. Anyone have any experience?

Back
Top Bottom