• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Want your restrictions removed? See this post for how.

I have a restricted LTC-A in Worcester. Should I beg the chief to change the restrictions

I completely understand why Gemme issues the restricted LTCs. He wants to make sure that first time firearm owners learn how to use their firearms before carrying them, and this makes sense.

That said, I do not think you need to beg him. I am not sure what the process is but a letter to help him/the LD understand what you have done to become a safe and responsible firearm owner and that you are not a possible embarrassment to the city of Worcester.

I know this seems like a stupid and unnecessary hoop but this is MA.

I completely understand why Gemme issues the restricted LTCs. He wants to make sure that first time firearm owners learn how to use their firearms before carrying them, and this makes sense.

This is a weak rationalization at best. And actually makes no sense at all. Did plaxico have restrictions when he shot himself? Will three words on a piece of plastic stop someone from doing something stupid or negligent?

No.

Cheifs love the power, "make them beg for their rights."

It can not be explained with reason and evidence, however.

Sent from my mobile device.

I have a restricted LTC-A in Worcester. Should I beg the chief to change the restrictions, or fill out the email form? I don't want to send in my info if it's going to waste your time because Worcester is no longer using restricted licenses.

By the way, i was so happy to find this post, I almost started to cry. I will be setting up recurring donations after the holiday season.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Send something in to us. It's not wasting our time. We need this for reasons to be divulged later.

Will three words on a piece of plastic stop someone from doing something stupid or negligent?

Stupid people will do stupid things. However I feel that it has a little more with people not educated on firearms, which is why they require the basic firearm course. The more education and experience you have, the less risk you pose to yourself and the community.

I know this has no leverage on retarded and crazy people, but for the general public, it is good at least in theory.

Remember, this is MA not Maine. Here in MA, firearms are not a common household item. Lets talk about Worcester, there are only 4-5,000 people with "legal" firearms and a population of 180,000 people.

So it is safe to assume that 99.9% of people in this city have no clue how to safely operate firearms.

Classic example of the phrase "our own worst enemy". Six years to "learn how to use their firearms before carrying them"?? You're kidding, right?

Welcome to NES, Chief Gemme.

Stupid people will do stupid things. However I feel that it has a little more with people not educated on firearms, which is why they require the basic firearm course. The more education and experience you have, the less risk you pose to yourself and the community.

I know this has no leverage on retarded and crazy people, but for the general public, it is good at least in theory.

Remember, this is MA not Maine. Here in MA, firearms are not a common household item. Lets talk about Worcester, there are only 4-5,000 people with "legal" firearms and a population of 180,000 people.

So it is safe to assume that 99.9% of people in this city have no clue how to safely operate firearms.

Unfortunately for your argument, there is no evidence that Gemme EVER asked someone if they have previous experience before telling them they're a second class citizen. Or are you forgetting that lovely article from the Telegram when he explained all the people that he would never let own or carry guns, like anyone who doesn't have a job, etc?

If your numbers are correct, it would mean that 95.5% of the legal gun owners (using the lower range of your figure, 4000) have no clue how to safely operate firearms, since .1% have that clue, and 2.22% have legal guns.

I have a restricted LTC-A in Worcester. Should I beg the chief to change the restrictions, or fill out the email form? I don't want to send in my info if it's going to waste your time because Worcester is no longer using restricted licenses.

By the way, i was so happy to find this post, I almost started to cry. I will be setting up recurring donations after the holiday season.

It seems to be the case that most new LTCs are issued restrictions none. What happens if you request a re-issue of your license prior to expiration is unclear. The one person I've been working with has not been successful thus far.

But you can always ask. The worst they can do is say no or say nothing.

I am in the same boat as you. I know how you feel. Hopefully Comm2A can do something eventually. It sucks, but they are doing good things. Maybe we should start our own support group. [laugh]

That said, I do not think you need to beg him. I am not sure what the process is but a letter to help him/the LD understand what you have done to become a safe and responsible firearm owner and that you are not a possible embarrassment to the city of Worcester.

I know this seems like a stupid and unnecessary hoop but this is MA.

Go away. Gemm is one of the worst in this state, even if he is now isssuing: restrictions none. You have no idea what you're talking about. I threw up when I read your post. Idiot.

This is a weak rationalization at best. And actually makes no sense at all. Did plaxico have restrictions when he shot himself? Will three words on a piece of plastic stop someone from doing something stupid or negligent?

No.

Cheifs love the power, "make them beg for their rights."

It can not be explained with reason and evidence, however.

Sent from my mobile device.

At least someone gets it. Well said.

Oh boy. I fear what to say next.

Classic example of the phrase "our own worst enemy". Six years to "learn how to use their firearms before carrying them"?? You're kidding, right?

Welcome to NES, Chief Gemme.

Unfortunately for your argument, there is no evidence that Gemme EVER asked someone if they have previous experience before telling them they're a second class citizen. Or are you forgetting that lovely article from the Telegram when he explained all the people that he would never let own or carry guns, like anyone who doesn't have a job, etc?

Well said. I think Gemme has been lurking for a while too. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
I live in Lowell and they gave me LTC-A Restricted to Sporting. 2 yrs later I sent a letter requesting the restriction be removed and they said "no", the Cheif has a set of criteria that needs to be met before they could remove it. Which they would not tell me what those criteria were. But, two of my buddies got them removed because one opened a business and another that was married to a woman who opened a business, both retail.
So basically, if your just an average 9-5 guy. The Cheif dosent think you deserve to carry a Firearm.

I live in Lowell and they gave me LTC-A Restricted to Sporting. 2 yrs later I sent a letter requesting the restriction be removed and they said "no", the Cheif has a set of criteria that needs to be met before they could remove it. Which they would not tell me what those criteria were. But, two of my buddies got them removed because one opened a business and another that was married to a woman who opened a business, both retail.
So basically, if your just an average 9-5 guy. The Cheif dosent think you deserve to carry a Firearm.

That's ok. According to Winters logic you need to prove that you can carry a firearm. [rolleyes]

I am not talking about waiting 6 years to try and change your restriction. There is no where that says you have to wait until your LTC expires to change it and if you think that, that is only ignorant.

Did they ever state that they had previous firearm exposure? Or just turn in the application and hope for the best?
Don't say shit, that's what you get, shit. <-- That baby's mine!

And no, I missed that article. Got a link or scan?
If your numbers are correct, it would mean that 95.5% of the legal gun owners (using the lower range of your figure, 4000) have no clue how to safely operate firearms, since .1% have that clue, and 2.22% have legal guns.

Huh? Math Nazi? 99.9%, 97.78%, my point still stands that the overwhelming majority of people in this city have had zero exposure to firearms (other than tv/web). I was not attacking firearm owners...
Go away. Gemme is one of the worst in this state, even if he is now issuing: restrictions none. You have no idea what you're talking about. I threw up when I read your post. Idiot.

I have no idea what I am talking about, you may be right, but I have an open, honest, and unbiased opinion of what is going on. And I would say that some of you are sitting around, but with your heads in the sand and anti-2A supporters dicks up your ... you are not sitting anywhere.
And that is what you guys do not understand... This state is the way it is.. the moonbats or whatever you guys call them here are never going to hand you a blank check to do what you want here with your firearms and you are all too stubborn to realize that compromise is needed to make any progress.

That's ok. According to Winters logic you need to prove that you can carry a firearm.

No, not my logic, the logic of the state of MA.

It is not a right in this state, and you have to prove that you can drive a car. In MA it is the same thing.

Last edited:
I am not talking about waiting 6 years to try and change your restriction. There is no where that says you have to wait until your LTC expires to change it and if you think that, that is only ignorant.

Did they ever state that they had previous firearm exposure? Or just turn in the application and hope for the best?
Don't say shit, that's what you get, shit. <-- That baby's mine!

I have no idea what I am talking about, you may be right, but I have an open, honest, and unbiased opinion of what is going on. And I would say that some of you are sitting around, but with your heads in the sand and anti-2A supporters dicks up your ... you are not sitting anywhere.
And that is what you guys do not understand... This state is the way it is.. the moonbats or whatever you guys call them here are never going to hand you a blank check to do what you want here with your firearms and you are all too stubborn to realize that compromise is needed to make any progress.
No, not my logic, the logic of the state of MA.

Restricting the license does do what you claim it does. That is everyones issue with your statement. Moreover the use of restrictions is arbitrary and blind discretion is used. How does one PROVE their experience? I have 20+ years experience with guns, yet I have a restricted license, my brother in law lives in Warren and has a couple years experience and has no restriction. Where is the logic? One cannot prove experience.
If there was a written and followed structure in place where EVERYONE got a restricted license unless/until they took some additional training class then perhaps your statement would hold at least a little bit of water. (please note I am not advocating for anything restricting merely making a point - although it would be an improvement for me over the current state) IE: MA Basic Pistol = Restricted License, MA Basic Pistol + CCW Course = Unrestricted.

I disagree with your logic and the restriction of any rights. Restrictions serve NO PURPOSE, provide us one data set that shows restricting licenses and prevention of Carry has done anything in the name of public safety.

Rather than derail this thread any further then you have, if you wish to respond please feel free to start a new thread titled "Why LTC Restrictions Are A Good Thing". Have fun with the responses, Chief.

Last edited:
use of restrictions is arbitrary and blind discretion is used.
If there was a written and followed structure in place where EVERYONE got a restricted license unless/until they took some additional training class then perhaps your statement would hold at least a little bit of water. (please note I am not advocating for anything restricting merely making a point - although it would be an improvement for me over the current state) IE: MA Basic Pistol = Restricted License, MA Basic Pistol + CCW Course = Unrestricted.

I disagree with your logic and the restriction of any rights. Restrictions serve NO PURPOSE, provide us one data set that shows restricting licenses and prevention of Carry has done anything in the name of public safety.

That is one of those compromises I was talking about. If you have little to no experience, restrict it for 6-12 months and in that time you need to take a concealed carry course. An added class or hoop to jump through will be a +1 in the mind of the PDs and moonbats, liberals, whatever.

I do not agree with restrictions of rights but if you live in MA, you know that was struck off the MA copy of the US Constitution. This state is not in America and the sooner you all understand that, the sooner you can stop fighting the locals and work with them to find a middle ground and rememeber.

The restrictions are there to make the locals happy.

That is one of those compromises I was talking about. If you have little to no experience, restrict it for 6-12 months and in that time you need to take a concealed carry course. An added class or hoop to jump through will be a +1 in the mind of the PDs and moonbats, liberals, whatever.

I do not agree with restrictions of rights but if you live in MA, you know that was struck off the MA copy of the US Constitution. This state is not in America and the sooner you all understand that, the sooner you can stop fighting the locals and work with them to find a middle ground.

Completely wrong on so many levels.

Wrong like 1+1=3 or like Sarah Jessica Parkers face?

Wrong in terms of human rights, practical self-defense concerns, basic firearms safety, understanding of why police chiefs exercise power in the manner they do, and wrong in your understanding of compromise. Also wrong in restricting individual liberty by applying blanket policies designed to "protect" the dumbest among us.

Wrong in terms of human rights, practical self-defense concerns, basic firearms safety, understanding of why police chiefs exercise power in the manner they do, and wrong in your understanding of compromise. Also wrong in restricting individual liberty by applying blanket policies designed to "protect" the dumbest among us.

So like Sarah Jessica Parkers face.

MA is not going to have the AWB removed and steps will be made for 2A without compromise. They are not going to blindly give back your rights..

So what would YOU like to have done instead?

No, what is your compromise, cause we all know that is not going to happen.

I would be willing to accept (at least in the interim and with gritted teeth) a 4 hr CCW Course for acquiring an unrestricted license if the PD feels it necessary. But they must be bound by this, if the course is taken then restrictions = none.

Back
Top Bottom