Want your restrictions removed? See this post for how.

I emailed Comm2A last week. I didn't get a response yet. I want to get my restriction removed in Boston. Anyone have any experience?

From my experience with Comm2A it usually does take a little while to hear back from they but they will reply. I don't know what they will say. I emailed them about my license in Springfield and it did take some time. The protocol is to write a formal letter requesting your restrictions to be removed. I did just that late last week...just found our today that my request was denied. Good old Springfield... anyone know where I can go from here? The best way I can put it is....well simply it's bullshit. I've had my ltc for a while now and haven't even had a speeding ticket...ever. And I still can't get my unrestricted permit....I understand I can appeal the decision which is new as of this year but I am unsure how it works.

Last edited:
Get some Comm2a!!!

Donated earlier today. I hope it all works out, going today to put in my application for LTC A. We will see what restrictions are given for Chelsea residents, being a red town I'm expecting some resistance. Would love to see the outcome of this! Good luck!

To anyone looking to get a “Sporting” or similar restriction lifted hopefully this will help. Please note that much depends on your town as well as your record.

My license was issued in a “red” town. Also on Comm2a’s website the numbers were not in my favor (http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/8-home/222-2015-data). But despite having a clean record I received the dreaded restriction of “Sporting”. Fast forward three years, my wife and I decided to move, luckily, to a green town (it may have made me like the house a little more lol). Doing research online and here it seemed the best approach was to have my old town expire my license, then start the process from scratch in my new town. Which meant paperwork, $100.00, blah-blah.

Having this information I left voicemails for my old town’s police department briefly explaining the situation and to please call me back. It took about a week but they did call me back. They advised me to simply proceed to re-apply in my new town stating that expiring my license with firearms in the house was not a good idea, and depending on their policies they will issue me a new LTC. Basically instead of renewing my license a month ahead of time I will be doing it a few years ahead of time. So again, armed with this information, I called my new town’s police department (who I spoke with before) and discussed this with them. As I expected, due to the fact that they have been nothing but helpful up to this point, I had an appointment in less than a week. Yes, LESS THAN A WEEK (my old town had a four month wait).

To sum it up, I’ve had my appointment and if everything goes smoothly my unrestricted license should be here in about six weeks and I can’t wait. I have legally concealed carried many times under the sporting restriction but not having to worry about the legality of it will be a great feeling. I hope this information helps someone and big thanks to everyone on here for answering questions and big thanks to “mpoirier83” for putting up with my PMs.

So my new license came in the mail today........and.........drumroll please.......

Restrictions: NONE

I'm going out to eat to celebrate!

Can anyone help me write a proper formal letter? I have my license from Attleboro, where the chief has a policy stating that anyone under the age of 25 may not get an unrestricted LTC. For no other reason than age. I recieved my license back in may 2014, after a 9 month wait... I now moved to Rehoboth in March, filed the necessary paperwork, etc. I want to send in a letter to attempt to get the restrictions removed, or license further expired and re-apply in Rehoboth for an ALP license. I just don't really know how to write a letter that is going to say "you are infringing upon my 2nd amendment rights" in such a way that he will react to it, and not just look at it like "oh, some kid wants his license.. meh, screw him". I am 22, going to be 23 in July.

I have had some un-documented experiences which would certainly make me feel better to have my firearm on my side rather than in my closet.... If anyone can help me out, that'd be awesome.

Why dosnt Comm2A and GOAL (maybe the NRA too, do they do anything for us?) work to get this line remove "subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper;

It seems it would be easier? to get the whole law reworded then to go after each town. Pile up all your lawyers and do what you gotta do, but if this is removed then restrictions go away, period.

I dont really understall all the law stuff I just think it would be more effective going after the "source" of the issue.

Why dosnt Comm2A and GOAL (maybe the NRA too, do they do anything for us?) work to get this line remove "subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper;

It seems it would be easier? to get the whole law reworded then to go after each town. Pile up all your lawyers and do what you gotta do, but if this is removed then restrictions go away, period.

I dont really understall all the law stuff I just think it would be more effective going after the "source" of the issue.
They are.

I hope you are a member of Comm2A and GOAL before you start telling them what they should be doing.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, i just see a ton of people bitch and then they dont even support these groups.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

.......I am a member of both, and I'm a lifetime member of the NRA. I see a lot covered on both websites but I do not see anything specific to what I mentioned (maybe I missed it), It more of a suggestion than a "bitch". Id like to read up on the progress of removing such verbiage.

.......I am a member of both, and I'm a lifetime member of the NRA. I see a lot covered on both websites but I do not see anything specific to what I mentioned (maybe I missed it), It more of a suggestion than a "bitch". Id like to read up on the progress of removing such verbiage.

The answer to your question is: No, it is absolutely not easier to get that language removed from the law. That language is a crucial component of the MA gun control regime, and removing it is not something that the legislature will ever willingly do. During the fight over the 2014 gun control bill, an attempt was made to remove the ability for chiefs to place restrictions on LTCs and that attempt was completely shot down.

If we can get a court decision that rules that arbitrarily restricting licenses is unconstitutional, then that would effectively neuter that provision of the law, which is exactly what Comm2A is going for.

The answer to your question is: No, it is absolutely not easier to get that language removed from the law. That language is a crucial component of the MA gun control regime, and removing it is not something that the legislature will ever willingly do. During the fight over the 2014 gun control bill, an attempt was made to remove the ability for chiefs to place restrictions on LTCs and that attempt was completely shot down.

If we can get a court decision that rules that arbitrarily restricting licenses is unconstitutional, then that would effectively neuter that provision of the law, which is exactly what Comm2A is going for.

In fact now FIDs have essentially similar language and are now discretionary (with a few minor steps for the PD) vs. previously when they were "shall issue".

I don't understand - I guess its not supposed to make sense. But they have added and twisted laws around so much it's just pointless now, and it's screwing us over and gun crimes are happening as they do anywhere else.. Do The people that want these laws in place even go back and look at the whole picture to see what it has become, and if it has made any affect? I mean why add laws or change anything, this whole process needs to be revamped. It's amazing how NH,VT, and ME are typical Shall Issue states and they don't have any more gun related issues than us or anyone else, but yet people want more control, more laws? Ugh.. this uphill battle is exhausting, and I feel like we are loosing really bad. Its sad to see that G&A magazine listed MA as like number 46, and VT, NH, and ME are in the top ten best.. I cant believe there are so many pro gun people, and we have great organizations like the ones I listed above that no one has the power to make big change. I mean if NY can pass a bill over night like it did, it's definitely possible to change MA laws if we get the right people involved.

Like I said tho, I don't know much about laws, and the process they have to go through but I feel like there are some big people that are pro gun and these things should of been addressed by now. What does it really take? Cause this state is out of control, its not the worst, but I fear it will get there and then we are REALLY screwed..

I don't understand - I guess its not supposed to make sense. But they have added and twisted laws around so much it's just pointless now, and it's screwing us over and gun crimes are happening as they do anywhere else.. Do The people that want these laws in place even go back and look at the whole picture to see what it has become, and if it has made any affect? I mean why add laws or change anything, this whole process needs to be revamped. It's amazing how NH,VT, and ME are typical Shall Issue states and they don't have any more gun related issues than us or anyone else, but yet people want more control, more laws? Ugh.. this uphill battle is exhausting, and I feel like we are loosing really bad. Its sad to see that G&A magazine listed MA as like number 46, and VT, NH, and ME are in the top ten best.. I cant believe there are so many pro gun people, and we have great organizations like the ones I listed above that no one has the power to make big change. I mean if NY can pass a bill over night like it did, it's definitely possible to change MA laws if we get the right people involved.

Like I said tho, I don't know much about laws, and the process they have to go through but I feel like there are some big people that are pro gun and these things should of been addressed by now. What does it really take? Cause this state is out of control, its not the worst, but I fear it will get there and then we are REALLY screwed..

It's easier to understand once you learn one simple fact - gun control isn't about guns, it's about control. It doesn't matter that the laws are confusing, or ineffective, or dissuade people from owning guns, because that's the whole point. It also helps to understand that gun owners are a tiny minority in this state, and so keeping us happy is very low on most legislators' priority lists because frankly as a voting block we're not that powerful.

Given those realities, it's amazing that things aren't even worse than they are. The bill that was originally filed in 2014 was way worse than what eventually passed because MA gun owners fought hard to get the worst of it removed. In the end the final bill didn't make any major changes, which I hesitate to call a "win", but at least it wasn't a big loss.

Your frustration is understandable, but the MA legislature isn't about to do anything to make it better.

During the fight over the 2014 gun control bill, an attempt was made to remove the ability for chiefs to place restrictions on LTCs and that attempt was completely shot down.
There was also an attempt to have a district court licensing appeal be "de novo", but that was shot down in negotiations before any votes.

Currently, appeals are not "de novo", which means we get decisions like "this court will not substitute its judgement for that of the chief". "De novo" would mean "from scratch", and that the applicant would be entitled to a new judgement made by the court, not a court's rubber stamping of a chief's judgement.

Comm2A is working the restriction issue through the courts. Comm2A does not lobby the legislature, or "work to get a line removed" (except by having it declared unconstitutional)

just put in a request to the commissioner to have my restrictions lifted. sent it certified mail. have the receipt and also a copy of the letter put away in a folder. if they deny my request (again) should I request they put it in writing? there reason last time was because I do not own a business or need it for work. btw, I am in Springfield, MA

^^ See.. Why are they doing this? I have an unrestricted LTC, I can carry in Springfield, I am not from that town so how is restricting you making it any "safer" if people (law abiding gun owners) from other towns come in and carry? According to their logic they are preventing law abiding people from carrying guns anywhere in the state to keep their town safer? So if you have a business your allowed to carry anywhere because you have a higher chance of being a victim of a crime? Because you need one for work you can now carry anywhere because your 9-5 puts you at a higher risk of being shot at, so when you hang up your belt at the end of the day the threat is gone? Regardless of our "need" we all run into the same threats every day, regardless of owning a business or needing it for work 9-5.. The logic is just so screwed up I'm surprised its not a bigger issue. but like mlaboss said were a small majority I guess.. This state just sucks as to how it got this far..

I would go to the police station and straight up ask the chief what his logic behind it is, if hes willing to have a conversation he should be human enough to understand how basic the need is, ask him if he carries when hes not wearing a badge - i bet his answer will be he does. But why? Cause he can? And he can tell you, you cant? This is technically an abuse of authority if you don't have a justifiable reason, and the ones listed are not justified. its bullshit, and they know it. Cops with power trips like this is the reason they are in the cross hairs..

If the police chief were a reasonable, logical person, we wouldn't be having this problem in the first place. You can't use logic to argue someone out of a position that they didn't use logic to get into in the first place. You can argue with the chief until you're blue in the face and you'll have nothing to show for it.

We all know this is an abuse of authority, and it is the inevitable result of giving someone unfettered authority to take away rights for whatever reason they see fit. Even if you convince the chief to start issuing unrestricted licenses, the next chief could come along and reverse that decision. The solution is to take away that authority entirely, and that is what we're trying to do.

...I would go to the police station and straight up ask the chief ... if he carries when hes not wearing a badge - i bet his answer will be he does.

I would be surprised if he does. From what I've unscientifically gathered through the years, most cops don't carry off duty, and I think the higher up in rank, the chances decrease.

^^ See.. Why are they doing this? I have an unrestricted LTC, I can carry in Springfield, I am not from that town so how is restricting you making it any "safer" if people (law abiding gun owners) from other towns come in and carry? According to their logic they are preventing law abiding people from carrying guns anywhere in the state to keep their town safer? So if you have a business your allowed to carry anywhere because you have a higher chance of being a victim of a crime? Because you need one for work you can now carry anywhere because your 9-5 puts you at a higher risk of being shot at, so when you hang up your belt at the end of the day the threat is gone? Regardless of our "need" we all run into the same threats every day, regardless of owning a business or needing it for work 9-5.. The logic is just so screwed up I'm surprised its not a bigger issue. but like mlaboss said were a small majority I guess.. This state just sucks as to how it got this far..

I would go to the police station and straight up ask the chief what his logic behind it is, if hes willing to have a conversation he should be human enough to understand how basic the need is, ask him if he carries when hes not wearing a badge - i bet his answer will be he does. But why? Cause he can? And he can tell you, you cant? This is technically an abuse of authority if you don't have a justifiable reason, and the ones listed are not justified. its bullshit, and they know it. Cops with power trips like this is the reason they are in the cross hairs..

Business owners are not always immune from an attack (due to their business) in "off-hours"! A former neighbor was a diamond merchant and one weekend morning someone rang his doorbell and stuck a gun in his face!

Knowing numerous police chiefs, having worked as a PO for 3 of them, I can tell you that only one that I know carries all the time. The rest take it off when the uniform comes off.

Even being somewhat of an insider, I've asked a number of chiefs/licensing officers what they look for as "justification" to issue unrestricted and the most I've ever gotten out of any of them is "things"! No useful info, sorry.

I would be surprised if he does. From what I've unscientifically gathered through the years, most cops don't carry off duty, and I think the higher up in rank, the chances decrease.

Agree. I only worked with one LEO that carried regularly. All the rest don't and didn't.

Agree. I only worked with one LEO that carried regularly. All the rest don't and didn't.

my question would be to them why do cops need a firearm to protect themselves. no one is in danger. isn't that why you don't allow anyone else to carry. we are all safe. I know they will say a regular citizen does not respond to the things police officers respond to. I would then say such as what? assault? murder? ok now what if I was the victim. what if I was legally able to carry and protect myself? wonder what they will answer to that. maybe that's what there are cops for. yet that still doesn't stop these crimes from happening. haven't a few murders happened within a mile or 2 from the police station? these criminals don't care that there are cops. I guess some cops do not understand that. the last person that denied me was a deputy chief. I wen directly to the commissioner this time. hope he doesn't just hand it to the deputy chief and say here handle this

I have a non-resident permit with a "Sporting and C&R Transactions" restriction and I can't find any reference to it.

Woah.. they restrict non res license's in MA?! What the hell, I thought restrictions were done at local town levels, not MSP - whom issue nonres..

in your case MSP is the "licensing authority", in that case you are subject to the same verbiage in discussion. right?

Last edited:
Woah.. they restrict non res license's in MA?! What the hell, I thought restrictions were done at local town levels, not MSP - whom issue nonres..

in your case MSP is the "licensing authority", in that case you are subject to the same verbiage in discussion. right?

No, MSP is not the issuing authority, and hasn't been, for many years now. CJIS/EOPS issues the nonresident licenses. If someone gets a restricted nonres, they obviously didn't do the required dog and pony show to get unrestricted. Rumor has it though at least for those leaving the state, that they do actually give you brownie points for having had an unrestricted license as a resident here though. So if you lived in MA and you have a few years of unrestricted under your belt, that might be enough to maintain the status when you dump residency.

-Mike

Hmm, I didn't really think about who actually issues the permit. The application says that the CJIS issues the permit, but the permit itself says:
"Issuing City/Town: MASS STATE POLICE"
Is the MASP under the CJIS? Either way, you would think they should say the same.
I believe this is the third permit and every time I try to get a non-restricted permit. I don't need a permit for work and I don't have any imminent threats against me so they don't feel I have a need for a non-restricted permit. I told them I occasionally shoot competitions in MA(and used to be a member of a gun club in MA) and once in a while visit MA. You would think that for someone that spends maybe a few hours out of an entire year in MA they would would not be any "liability" (that's their concern) to them and they could give me an un-restricted permit, but I guess I am wrong.

So back to the restrictions, are they in the law or is it just a policy?

the restrictions in MA depends on who gives you your license. idk about nonres ones though. I have a restricted to target and hunting while I know people that live 1 city or 2 over and have no restrictions

So back to the restrictions, are they in the law or is it just a policy?

The actual restriction as we see them on the LTCs I don't think are outlined in MGL, however it is in the law that the licensing authority can restricted at will. with that said there seems to be a list they go by, but I dont think its defined by any law. I may be talking out of my ass here but from what I understand this is the case.

If you look at the wikipdia for Ma gun laws you will see the explanation of each restriction however I have not seen them stated in any MGL, so its basically an unwritten rule based on discretion. some one correct me if im wrong..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom