Want to put together a little competition

This would be something for our club members only. Maybe start out with .22 pistol.

I was thinking we could do something like $5 to enter, bullseye targets, 5 at 20 yards, then after eliminating people, they would move up to 5 at 30 yards, OR you could pay another $5 to stay in for that 5 at 30 yards round. This would keep it fun and interesting. I have never run a competition before, but am sick of hearing how much income the bar makes, or meat raffles. I want to see the pistol range, and eventually the rifle range start having some events where they can bring in even small amounts of money.

Eventually, I would like to bring in outsiders (NES?) for competitions. They used to do pin matches, and I suppose we could again. They never really advertised, but I bet if we did, it might generate some interest.

For now, it would just be for bragging rights, and maybe a couple boxes of .22 ammo or something. I want to keep prices low, to get people interested and coming back for more.

Other thoughts:
  • Winter Shoot (short notice, on the crappiest Winter day possible)
  • Winter Pin Shoot (since nobody else seems do do one in the Winter)
  • 10/20/30 Shoot (10 shots at 10 yards, 20 shots at 20 yards, 30 shots at 30 yards; those with most black missing wins)
  • mixed .22 rifle/pistol shoot, win based on either one, or combined scores?
  • dueling tree $5 to enter, $1 for each new level?
  • 3-gun: We did one of these before, mostly 9mm for pistol, 12 ga for shotgun, and mix of 9mm carbine, 30-30, AR for rifle. It was "interesting", but actually pretty fun. Lots of room to make up different types of 3 gun contests, always keeping safety top concern.

Tricky area:
1)_Since this is new territory, it could be anywhere from 1-5 people, to who knows how many. Need to have a means of accommodating different turnouts.

2) How to avoid pissing matches over scoring. How to run a match (money, registration, scorekeeping) and safety at the same time.

Any input welcome.

@Coyote33 , I like the idea. I know this is a shooting forum but I would love to see it include archery as well. We have such a nice club there (Auburn right?). The club and its active members/board have done such a nice job updating the shooting range, which will soon include at least half the archery course and the range. The shooting opportunities, both bullets and arrows need to be utilized more. BTW, thank you and the board for your efforts.

I am also a member at WPRC. I have done a few of the pin shoots and one or two of the IDPA shoots. They are a blast. The pin shoots cost $5 for a member $7 for non-members. The non-member invite is a great idea because it helps to promote shooting and 2A. I believe all the money goes to the club. I have no problem paying a club $5 for the privilege of an organized shoot. The pin shoots are four people at a time, two people shooting against each other. Winners move on the next round. Then they have a non-winners round, so everyone gets plenty of opportunity to shoot. I would say that everyone goes through a hundred rounds (thank god I reload). Pin shoots are easy to measure. It is easy, it's knocked off the table, or it's not. The pins are set on the back edge of the table so you do not need a cannon to knock them off. There are always two judges (one for each pair). I guess the same should apply to target shooting. RO/judge makes the final call. They are also very big on promoting safety.

I really enjoyed the IDPA shoots. The problem is that it is pretty much an all day commitment and I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of work that goes into organizing seven stages. But man, they are fun. And such a valuable learning tool. Stress, unfamiliar situations, shooting for speed, accuracy and weird shooting positions. I would love a stripped down version. Maybe a single stage, evening event. The opportunity to go through it twice would be fun so you could compete against yourself.

I did not get an opportunity to do the pin shoots at WPRC last year. But now that you brought this up, I am thinking I need to get to one of the pin shoots soon :)

I believe WPRC runs their pin shoots all year long.

Pete

Like I said, I'm new to this, so "organization" will be a learning experience. On top of that, attendance figures could be anything.

I've initiated and run several shoots, some more successful than others.

Some stuff I learned:

1) plenty of lead time - last minute match is an invitation to headaches
2) get firm commitments from participants in advance!
3) keep the format simple...thinking s a bad thing
4) post the rules...keep them simple too
4a) make one person the Ruler of the Match, to decide all questions/disputes
5) segregate the functions Registration from 8:00- 8:45; range and rule briefing 8:45-9; first shot at 9
6) get help

7) prizes are good for encouraging turnout, but can make the scores more important.

Any questions, PM me, or post here.

My most successful shoots:

Annual Trap Turkey shoot
Inter-club Trap shoots (when we were Defenders/Hosts....we'll get the damn trophy back next year!)

These have been for 10-50+ shooters. All Trap, and most of the people were familiar with the general format, which helps with the Herding of the Cats. [laugh]

2) get firm commitments from participants in advance!

My most successful shoots:
Annual Trap Turkey shoot
Inter-club Trap shoots (when we were Defenders/Hosts....we'll get the damn trophy back next year!)

How do you get these "firm commitments"? Get money up front comes to mind. Yes, no?

Our club has a well oiled trap program, with contests etc. Perhaps I can lean on them for some assistance.

Hey, maybe we'd be interested in these inter-club shoots at some point.

Thanks for the tips.

I would be interested in attending a shoot like you described. I would make it open to non-members as a way to bring in new members. I am not a member at Auburn but could see myself paying a guest fee for a couple shoots to see how I like the club.

We have some sets of these dueling trees, for .22 and another for large cal pistol.
Two shooters, each with 6, 10, or whatever rounds, start with 3 targets each side. At the buzzer, get all the targets on the other guys side before you run empty.
Wicked fun. Run pairs and eliminate. Champ gets a prize.

View: https://youtu.be/qBpTP4depWc

I’m in (I hope) and a member. Quick experience, went a few times with a friend to a little competition kind of thing at a club in Uxbridge over the summer. They set up clays (6) on a large cardboard template, six rounds each magazine two magazines, two shooters standing side by side. A dedicated person keeping score, an air horn and 30 seconds, on the clock, head to head. Fastest wins, or most shot clays wins. Next round was winners v winners, and losers v losers, etc and so forth till the cream rises, or the sun went down. Set # of rounds, and a head to head to decide overall winner. No prize, just fun. It was simple, fun, and cheap I don’t remember exactly but I think it was cheap like $5. It was a LOT of fun, .22 v.22, etc. did I mention it was A LOT of fun. They did advertise on fb and did allow non members (in fact I think most people there were non members, attendance was 12-15 something like that). That’s my two cents.

If you have time maybe attend a pin shoot, a bullseye match and a local steel challange and see how they,re run and watch the RO,s for tips on a safe match. Research can be fun!! Until you have a few matches under your belt keep a cap on the number of competitors.

The trick is finding a balance between the precision shooters and new shooters.
Stuff geared towards one typically causes the other to shy away.

.22 Egg shoots are a great start. Handgun or rifle. Start with paper, move out to bigger paper (good example is paper sized eggs with a red or black dot placed randomly on the egg, and call it an X), then out to steel eggs.
A timer and steel will draw a crowd. A shoot box also causes the most experienced shooter to lose all fine motor skill.
Even a watered-down version of steel challenge will work. 6", 8"' and 10" plates vs. the 10"12" and 18x24". Make it 6 or 7 instead of a stage of 5.
Throw in a plate rack or dueling tree and you have yourself a good time.

I'm dying to do a .22 version of walls of steel with knock downs/ knock overs, its just getting a week or so to cut the steel and make the stands.

Good luck with what you go with, this sport definitely needs more stuff like this. Brings in the new shooters.

I’m in (I hope) and a member. Quick experience, went a few times with a friend to a little competition kind of thing at a club in Uxbridge over the summer. They set up clays (6) on a large cardboard template, six rounds each magazine two magazines, two shooters standing side by side. A dedicated person keeping score, an air horn and 30 seconds, on the clock, head to head. Fastest wins, or most shot clays wins. Next round was winners v winners, and losers v losers, etc and so forth till the cream rises, or the sun went down. Set # of rounds, and a head to head to decide overall winner. No prize, just fun. It was simple, fun, and cheap I don’t remember exactly but I think it was cheap like $5. It was a LOT of fun, .22 v.22, etc. did I mention it was A LOT of fun. They did advertise on fb and did allow non members (in fact I think most people there were non members, attendance was 12-15 something like that). That’s my two cents.

You wanna help?

@TrashcanDan : No steel targets. Only paper targets, nothing on the ground. Not sure if exceptions for competitions. I'll ask.

I have tried to get different events going over the years. The big problems I have run into.
1. Club boards or “Approval” process
2. If your stepping on toes of other groups. Example if you need the “rifle” range to shoot a long distance pistol event. Or need the trap parking lot for over flow for event
3. Finding a slot on the calendar that’s not going to piss one member off
4. Getting folks to actually show up

Other things is participation based on skill alone . You won’t really get new shooters add some luck and random ways to “win”

I been trying to get a mini 22lr mini Fclass type match going for a few years now.

How’s club participation in events now?

Good luck and I say don’t stick yourself limited to members only , your more inclined to get more people to show.

Generally insider events tend to attract the same shooters over and over and generally if there is prizes involved you will get “the shooters who always win” issue.

I have tried to get different events going over the years. The big problems I have run into.
1. Club boards or “Approval” process
2. If your stepping on toes of other groups. Example if you need the “rifle” range to shoot a long distance pistol event. Or need the trap parking lot for over flow for event
3. Finding a slot on the calendar that’s not going to piss one member off
4. Getting folks to actually show up

Other things is participation based on skill alone . You won’t really get new shooters add some luck and random ways to “win”

I been trying to get a mini 22lr mini Fclass type match going for a few years now.

How’s club participation in events now?

Good luck and I say don’t stick yourself limited to members only , your more inclined to get more people to show.

Generally insider events tend to attract the same shooters over and over and generally if there is prizes involved you will get “the shooters who always win” issue.

I help run monthly .22 plate matches at my club in CT. By permission of the executive board, our matches are open to guests (brought by members). We addressed the “the shooters who always win” issue by running the first sets, and then breaking the group into three sets based upon their win/loss record. Then we shoot for the best out of each group. So we have an "A" class winner, a "B" class winner and a "C" class winner. That got us out of the same people winning all the time, and encouraged others.

I help run monthly .22 plate matches at my club in CT. By permission of the executive board, our matches are open to guests (brought by members). We addressed the “the shooters who always win” issue by running the first sets, and then breaking the group into three sets based upon their win/loss record. Then we shoot for the best out of each group. So we have an "A" class winner, a "B" class winner and a "C" class winner. That got us out of the same people winning all the time, and encouraged others.
Then it introduces the sandbaggers! Lol.
Its all fun and if you can get folks to show up your doing well.

Back
Top Bottom