• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Want to get started the right way

on a CCW in Rhode Island. I am a Cumberland resident. Can someone please advise me as to what the first step is? I guess I am looking for a mentor here. I have firearm experience but currently hold no certificates or licenses. I am hoping to make this process as smooth as possible by starting with the right advice.

I may also be looking to purchase a handgun to use at a range in the meantime... so can someone also let me know how that process works... is it a piece of the CCW process?

Thanks

To purchace a handgun in RI you need to get a "blue card". To get a blue card, you just need to take a simple safety test. Every gun shop in the state gives the test for free. If you run across a shop that wants to charge you for the test, run, you don't want to do business with them.

To get a carry permit, you have 2 options:

apply through the AG. You will have to have a 'reason' to request the permit.

Apply to your police chief, by statute (11-47-11) shall issue. As you live in Cumberland, your chief doesn't follow the law. So if you decide to go the town route get a lawyer.

To purchace a handgun in RI you need to get a "blue card".

As you live in Cumberland, your chief doesn't follow the law. So if you decide to go the town route get a lawyer.

OK thanks so much. So the blue card allows me to have the handgun in my house, and transport it to and from a range... correct???
and the chief doesn't follow the law ... well why should he be any different than half the other political hacks in the state??!! [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom