• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Want to get into competition shooting.

I have finally decided to take the plunge and get into competition shooting. I am interested in any kind of rifle competition mostly. I have bought a CMP rule booklet for there vintage rifle matches. I am a lefty, FYI. What will I need as far as gear go's?

I could use my milsurps for CMP but I also am buying a ruger 10/22 from a Friend soon for short money. I suppose it could trick it out with stuff for rifle competition.

thanks

Forget the 10/22. It is not usable for any smallbore rifle competition that I know of.

Which milsurps do you have? There's probably an informal CMP match for what you have.

Outside of the typical CMP surplus rifle match, there is no rifle shooting sport in which off the shelf rifles are competitive.

Your Smellies would work in CMP vintage military matches. The SKS is a no go in CMP matches. No semi autos allowed in their vintage rifle matches (except for the M1), and only the M1, M14, and M16 are allowed in CMP Excellence In Competition matches.

If you hit a couple of CMP vintage rifle matches and you like the idea, consider buying a National Match AR15 and giving NRA Highpower a shot.

For vintage military matches you will need the following equipment:

A spotting scope so that you can see your shots on target and your score. Also a stand for it. A good pair of binoculars will do in a pinch.

Stripper clips (3 or 4) to reload your rifle during the rapid fire stages of the match. The slow fire stages require that you load only one cartridge in the rifle at a time. It will make sense when you see how the match runs.

A sling. Not just any sling, but a USGI M1 sling. That's the canvas sling that became std issue in WW2 to replace the leather M1907 sling. You could use a competition grade M1907 sling, but the M1 sling is MUCH cheaper, easier to use, and easier to find. If you have never used a sling to support a rifle during firing, you will be amazed at how much steadier the rifle becomes when you learn how to use one.

A place to lie down. That can be a purpose made shooting mat, a carpet, a canvas tarp, whatever. If the ground is dry and soft, you can even do without. You might want to wear some soft elbow pads for the prone stages of the match. Whatever you use to lie down on, make sure it is not slick. The reason why will become evident the first time you pull the trigger.

A heavy glove for your support hand. When a shooting sling is used properly, the tension over your support (left if you are RH) hand is going to be tremendous. So much so that you will not be able to take more than a few minutes without something protecting your skin.

Optional:

A heavy jacket to help with the sling. A heavy canvas jacket that fits tightly is good. A purpose built shooting coat made of leather or cordura and well padded is best, but they cost beacoup bucks.

Riverside Gun Club in Hudson MA also does CMP clinics (5/17, 6/21, & 10/14). They provide you with an M1 Garand, ammo, targets, and instruction. They cover the positions, commands, sequence, etc. You'll fire a full match, and at the end, you'll get a certificate of completion which you can use for placing a CMP rifle order. Well worth the price of admission ($30).

Also, if you haven't already, attend an Appleseed. You'll get more intensive training, and your 10/22 will be perfect for the class and subsequent practice (at a minimum, get some Tech Sights, a sling, and 4 magazines).

I strongly endorse the recommendations to attend a CMP clinic.

Unless you have a lot of self discipline, to include the self discipline to read technical books on position rifle shooting, a clinic will do you a ton of good.

Riverside Gun Club in Hudson MA also does CMP clinics (5/17, 6/21, & 10/14). They provide you with an M1 Garand, ammo, targets, and instruction. They cover the positions, commands, sequence, etc. You'll fire a full match, and at the end, you'll get a certificate of completion which you can use for placing a CMP rifle order. Well worth the price of admission ($30).

Also, if you haven't already, attend an Appleseed. You'll get more intensive training, and your 10/22 will be perfect for the class and subsequent practice (at a minimum, get some Tech Sights, a sling, and 4 magazines).

WOW only $30, I will have to check that out.Do any clubs around the south shore/cape/ southeast mass do clinics?

Country Pond Fish & Game Club, in Newton NH, has a number of CMP Shoots scheduled this year.

31 May, 12 Jul, 29 Aug, and 13 Sep - any semi-auto*
27 Jun and 18 Oct - AR-15 only
26 Jul, 16 Aug, and 4 Oct - bolt action only

The club has a covered firing line, so matches are held rain or shine.

*CPF&G does allow foreign semi-autos.

Country Pond Fish & Game Club, in Newton NH, has a number of CMP Shoots scheduled this year.

31 May, 12 Jul, 29 Aug, and 13 Sep - any semi-auto*
27 Jun and 18 Oct - AR-15 only
26 Jul, 16 Aug, and 4 Oct - bolt action only

The club has a covered firing line, so matches are held rain or shine.

*CPF&G does allow foreign semi-autos.

NH is too far for me.

Back
Top Bottom