• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Want to buy a new bow for bow season

dreppucci007

NES Member
Ok guys, I want to buy a new bow for bow season, but need advice on brands, and where is a good place around here to go, be fitted, and buy everything. I've heard KTP is a great place to go for this, but didn't know if anyone knew of a better place or a closer place, or both.

As for brand, I'm leaning towards either a Matthews or a Hoyt, but have heard Alpine (I think) is good, too, but don't know much about them.

Thanks

BTW, how many bow hunters do we have here on NES?

Nothing wrong with either maker. They are popular around here because most places carry them. You can find a TON of information on this site;

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2.htm

They have great info on fitting the bow to yourself and matching arrows to the bow also. I bought my rig from them a while back. They will also paper tune the bow (This insures the arrow will fly straight.) before sending it out to you.

If you have a chance to shoot a couple of bows I recommend trying one using the parallel limb technology. Very, very smooth !

Here’s what I use;
Diamond Victory SC 2005, TruGlo Extreme 5 Pin Sight, Shurz-a-Peep String Peep, Quickshot Whisker Biscuit, Hi-Tech 4" Stabilizer, Tru-Fire Patriot Caliper Release

The Diamond line is actually the last year’s Bowtech line. Unless you need to have the absloute latest gear it’s a good way to save some $$. They have real people there to assist you in placing your order, answer questions and just generally help you along.

I also recomend this forum:
http://www.archerytalk.com

Me. I used to hunt MA until I got pissed at them for any number
of reasons, but mainly due to the tick infestations and the lack
of Sunday Hunting. Now I mainly hunt VT. I have a camp there
(with apple trees).[smile]

I used to hunt with Bear recurves but I'm selling them off. I now
hunt with a Jennings Split-T Hunter that I purchased about, never
mind, but it was when Jennings was owned by Tom Jennings, not Bear.

Here's a pic of my last Bear recurve (1969) that is for sale on eBay
as we speak.

KodiakHunterForeBay-1.jpg

TBP

That's a cool website, Dennis...thanks. As for a place to go, I wouldn't mind somewhere around here so that I can have someone fit it for me.

TBP, nice bow! That looks real nice. I never considered a recurve bow, I was thinking more along the lines of a compound bow.

get a mathews switchback reedys archery in middleboro will set you up. you wont mind droping the money cause the service is sooo good. im saving money in my piggy bank to get one. good luck

and dont get the whisker bisket. get a nice drop away that holds the arrow. youll thank me. has change my whole shot. lets me shoot an extra 10-12 yards that i used to with teh whisker.

oh yeha if you didnt know i love bow hunting. reedys will allow you to shoot there and test out stuff. so you cna go from there to the tree and hunt

TBP, nice bow! That looks real nice. I never considered a recurve bow, I was thinking more along the lines of a compound bow.

A compound bow is a good choice. This is a 60 pound bow that, because I
draw 31.5", was about a 70 pound draw for me. I used to work up for archery
season with three bows. The first was a 40, then the 50, and then this one,
the 60. It would take me a month before I was shooting this one comfortably
and I had to do it at least every other day to keep the muscles in shape.
Otherwise I would have to drop back down, and work up to it again. I can
no longer draw this bow all the way back. A compound is a much better choice
for beginners, but nothing beats hunting with a recurve or a stick bow. It brings
you back in time, big time. The greatest modern archer of all time was
Howard Hill and he shot with a stick bow that was reportedly over a
100 pound draw! If you want to read some really good archery books, get
"Hunting The Hard Way" by him. He has a couple of others as well.

I have taken four deer with a bow, three from the ground and one from
a tree stand. I hated hunting from a tree stand as it was like shooting
fish in a barrel. You need to hunt on your feet, and with your smarts, to
really appreciate the pursuit of the whitetail deer, and outwit him. You are
in his domain and when you get one you know that you have arrived as
his worthy adversary. At least that is my opinion. YMMV.

BTW, I have taken only one deer with a rifle. I'm a much better hunter
with a bow than I am with a rifle.

TBP

Blue Northern sells bows and I assume the do fitting.

Also, you may try:

Buzz Bower's Sportsmen's Den
198 North Main Street (Rt 12)
Troy, NH 03465

I was in there a while back and they are heavy into archery/bow hunting.

If you don't mind the drive (you're in Burlington, so it is about 1.5 hours. Wave to me as you drive through winchendon)

What Bigbear said, Reedy's is top notch. Right in Middleborough center. Now is definitely not the time to get set up though. It can be a mad house in there during the season. I have waited for an hour on a couple of occasions to have something fixed, try going at an off hour.

Ok guys, I want to buy a new bow for bow season, but need advice on brands, and where is a good place around here to go, be fitted, and buy everything. I've heard KTP is a great place to go for this, but didn't know if anyone knew of a better place or a closer place, or both.

As for brand, I'm leaning towards either a Matthews or a Hoyt, but have heard Alpine (I think) is good, too, but don't know much about them.

Thanks

Try

Ric's Archery Bait and Tackle
Still Alive Taxidermy
101 Marguerite Ave
Leominster, MA 01462
978-537-0065
ask for Brandy. He's very knowledgeable.

I picked up a mathews Ovation on ebay for cheap. It was in great shape. I went to Reedys in Middleboro to get accessories, they are a great shop to deal with, very helpful. I went in with a Bow that I did not get there, bought a few accessories, they spent an hr with me teaching me about bows, accessories and then taught me how to shoot and sighted in my bow.

They are like the FSguns but for bows

Back
Top Bottom