• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Want to build my first AR

I would like to grab a Zombie upper and lower from AWS in their current group buy and build what will be my first AR-15 but am not confident at all that I will be able to do this. I have read through a ton of threads on here and honestly buying a complete upper seems like the easier thing to do. I feel like I could really use like a complete parts list so I know everything I need to get and can price it out... once I have the parts in front of me I have some confidence putting it together with some of the guides I have found online. What do you guys think?

It's really not as hard as you might think. You will need a couple tools that you might not already have (some small punches, vice block is handy but I assembled mine without it, some wrenches). It looks intimidating reading everything, but once you get your hands on everything it is pretty simple. If you can assemble a stripped lower with a lower parts kit, an upper won't be a problem. Easiest thing to do is come up with a list of things you like (various parts), post them up and let people chime in with what other parts you may be missing. There are a lot of small parts you might not think of when ordering (small things like roll pins, etc), so it's a lot easier to get them all the first time around and save on shipping.

And thanks thehoyt that is exactly what I needed to kind of keep track of all this. Changing my own oil and wrenching on anything large is easy... its the little parts that had me a bit worried haha

And thanks thehoyt that is exactly what I needed to kind of keep track of all this. Changing my own oil and wrenching on anything large is easy... its the little parts that had me a bit worried haha
Don't worry about the fact that the parts are little just make sure u buy a good lpk my spikes one saved me when I was building my second at cuz it had an extra detent which the rock river lpk didnt!

You can try AIM surplus, brownells, bravo company usa, midwayusa.com, etc. I usually go thru AIM surplus for everything. Good luck, you wont regret an AR.

Yup, these are all great places. Check out Rainier Arms as well. I've bought a ton through Midway, BCM, and Rainier.

Its a lot of fun and you don't need a ton of tools! And if you have any questions you know were to go. If you search this sight you will find all you need. Youtube is your friend!

If you buy a complete upper where the barrel is already assembled at least, then you need almost nothing for tools to build a lower. Probably $20 would cover everything needed for tools if you didn't already have them.

there are to many AR parts suppliers out there.....AIM is not mass friendly.
Are you building to build or trying to save money.
Saving money is a bit hard to do on a basic AR build unless you get good group buy prices and lots of free shipping.
I will give you a example. I was going to build a National Match Service rifle nothing super fancy just a NM model like RRA.Armalite,Bushmaster.CLE,WOA put out.
After priceing out all the things needed I was spending more on building the upper than a complete rifle from RRA.bushmaster,armalite ect ect.
Gunkings.com is another great place as they have odd ball madness sales. AR15sales.com is another good source for parts and uppers STAG,LMT,RRA
I purchased a good amount of AR parts for a complete Frankenbuild from places like E-gun parts, bobs gun parts, copes, and other surplus type web sites.
I even purchased the colt AR kits that where offered a while back with new barrels. Thing I did not know is the barrels where "in the white" and did not have the crowns finished or machined for the front sight pins. I lucked out though and found a willing trader to trade my barrel for his used carbine barrel.

sarcoinc can be hit or miss.....but find them to be one of the cheapest surplus dealers, Be warned customer service is not very good. products are hit or miss and tend to be just under as they describe. Last I looked though the barrels on the kits are coming in finished and fitted with front sight or they are finding surplus barrels to toss in the kit ?

http://e-sarcoinc.com/originalcoltgim16a2completepartssets.aspx here is one of the kits I got but at the time the barrel was note finished or even threaded for muzzle device. It also was a bit cheaper. I think they had the barrels finished or found a new supplier. This picture shows the delta ring seperate from the barrel nut. So you need to nock off the front sight to install delta ring ? still hard pressed to find kits less than these. mate it with a good group buy priced lower your into a AR for under 600.00 ? or you can buy one all done for you a little more ?

Last edited:
ar15builder.com seems pretty legit.. and it helps you visualize how the parts go together kind of. I enjoy building "dream ar-15's" on there haha

I am building to build not to really save money... just piecing it together instead of dropping 1k at once. Just looking to build a reliable SHTF and plinking rifle... I hate coyotes around my animals too [wink]

The key to success in an AR build is quality parts. I buy all of my parts from Brownells. You can save on tools, however, I use a cheap strap wrench from Lowes rather than a barrel nut wrench and I made all of my vice blocks to hold the upper and lower from soft pine 2X4s.

large clear bin with hand holes cut inside keep parts from going to fare when they fling.
2nd best thing toss a young kid on the floor they will find it, just watch closely before they eat it.

I'm looking to do the same thing. Building it to learn and be able to do it on my own. I'm slowly getting my parts and tools I need before I start. Looking to get the Spikes Stripped lower from Brownells soon. Need to call FS and make sure they will do the transfer for me. From there I can get my lower parts kit, Spikes Battle Trigger and etc. Focusing mainly on the lower right now and hopefully when that is done start working on the upper. Like you said pieace by pieace instead of droping 1K at once and not learning anything from it.

I'm looking to do the same thing. Building it to learn and be able to do it on my own. I'm slowly getting my parts and tools I need before I start. Looking to get the Spikes Stripped lower from Brownells soon. Need to call FS and make sure they will do the transfer for me. From there I can get my lower parts kit, Spikes Battle Trigger and etc. Focusing mainly on the lower right now and hopefully when that is done start working on the upper. Like you said pieace by pieace instead of droping 1K at once and not learning anything from it.

there's currently a group buy in the works for NES engraved lowers from YHM...you need to be green to participate though <hint hint>

there's currently a group buy in the works for NES engraved lowers from YHM...you need to be green to participate though <hint hint>

Is there any more details on the group buy such as time table of when they would arrive? There another post somewhere? Thanks

Alright guys I am back with a few more questions/looking for suggestions.

I have read through the thread who makes the best ARs and why and learned quite a bit there. I have already bought an AWS zombie upper and lower. I would like to build 14.5" and make it 16" with the welded muzzle device. Thats all I am really sure of I dont really know much about the differences in internals for the uppers so the more info and suggestions I can get here the better! Thanks in advance guys!

Not that it's a bad thing to go for the 14.5"; but, if you want to go out past 300 meters I'd say just go for the 16" or longer and put a muzzle device on it if you like the look (I do). Remember that a shortening the barrel does have an adverse impact on the performance of the round, which is negligable if you are just plinking. As for internals I would look at mil-spec parts; BCG's that are MP inspected, suppliers like Spikes, Daniel Defense, and Bravo Company have been recommended to me time and again.

This one is going to be more of a shtf rifle... I plan to build a more rangey one in the future with better optics and such but for now I just want something I can keep as light and maneuverable as reasonably possible... Now thats not saying if there isn't a killer deal on a 16" barrel I wouldn't be all over that [wink]

Back
Top Bottom