• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Want to build 1911

I am doing something very similar. I purchased a 1911 frame and am going to put a Colt .22 ACE upper on it. I have the other parts coming. My intent is to build a .22lr Colt 1911. I have the Kuhnhausen video as a guide plus I plan to ask a lot of questions along the way.

Call Caspian and talk with them. I'm sure that they can give you some good advice on what's necessary to finish the gun.

I am doing something very similar. I purchased a 1911 frame and am going to put a Colt .22 ACE upper on it. I have the other parts coming. My intent is to build a .22lr Colt 1911. I have the Kuhnhausen video as a guide plus I plan to ask a lot of questions along the way.

Hi Frosty,

That's interesting. Why are you going to use .22lr? Ammo cost? I've got the
Kuhnhausen book and will be reading it during my hip rehab. Is the video better
than the book?

Thanks,

TBP

Kart EZ-Fit barrel with tools
Brownell's has a set of stones and jigs you can use to fit the hammer sear along with instructions. Supposed to be safe and easy.
Disconnector scraper
Lapping compounds to fit the slide to the frame
Headspace gauges (very important when fitting your own slide/frame/barrel) Excessive headspace is your enemy and it can grow over time...
Calipers, good ones, $40+ I found got me a very accurate pair.

Kunhausen vol 1 and 2 is a must.

USGI parts from ebay, buyer beware of fake parts. You can even get a chrome lined barrel if you want but fitting can be touch and go with a used or already fitted part. USGI slides + barrels come around from time to time.

Cylinder and slide sells the hammer you need along with disconnector and sear.

EGW slidestop.

Wolf mainspring, ISMI recoil spring.

Colt factory grip safeties are available from Brownells and they are similar to the 1911A1 grip safety, you can also get a MSH that matches the A1 from Colt too... Grip safety, trigger, thumb safety and MSH generally need to be USGI for a good match. S&A makes serrated ones that might match.

Pins and barrel links, firing pin, FPS, EGW oversize, ed brown, wilson combat.

That's interesting. Why are you going to use .22lr? Ammo cost?

No, parts mainly. I've had the .22 ACE upper for almost 20 years now. I was going to use it on my IPSC gun for practise, but then I had the gun modified a bit and decided (rightly or wrongly) not to mess with it.

So it was either sell the upper or build a .22 practise gun. The latter seemed like more fun, so.....

I think that the book and video is the best way to go. I like visual learning so the video helps me a lot, but having the book open on your workbench can help you also.

Back
Top Bottom