Want a 'fix-er-upper' in San Fran??

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
"Culver is a software engineer by trade who has worked in the industry since the early days of the internet and is now running a podcast app company."

She's 37 years old which means she was born in 1983. Early days of the internet? What, was she 10 when she started in the industry which really started (as we know it) in the early 90's? The WWW was "invented" in 1989 when she was 6 years old.
Lol not sure if serious, even if the internet existed back then nobody was on it. It wasn't until the late 90s that it really started to go anywhere. The "dot com/dot bomb" era persisted from the late 90s well into the mid 2000s and it's still bustling today, but the bar for entry isn't as low as it was back then. Basically anyone that knew shit about computers could get a job on the west coast back then, and if she was smart coder type or engineer, she probably made a fortune, it was the type of thing where people were throwing so much cash around that you had chances to develop skills and then punch out and get a pay upgrade down the street, wash, rinse repeat..... and people also got to go to work at 10 am, and when you got to work there were fridges full of beer, juice, milk, soda, etc... bottles of wine too, and any snack food and entire freezers full of microwaveable stuff, and some places even went a couple clicks full retard and had full kitchens and such onsite, too. Some of these places succeeded, many failed. Lots of people built resumes out of that era, though. One of my few regrets was NOT going out there back then for a few years and riding the wave, even as a non coder I would have been able to put away some serious cash, then just punched the f*** out.

ETA: Reading the article it is sort of disingenuous in describing that, I agree it wasn't "early" but it's not she started in 2012 or something. [rofl] My guess is the person that wrote it wasn't
thinking and "wrote that because it sounded good" etc.

-Mike

Last edited:

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, I'm aware of when the "internet" came about. Being in the Navy in the 70's, we were using JTIDS (Joint Tactical Information Distribution System) which was a type of "internet" which had been around since the early 70's at least (before TCP/IP). This system was being developed by MITRE Corporation out of Mass since the late 60's. The data was distributed via RF and phone lines at that time. There were a few hubs around the world, all military, of course, but working in the Fleet Tactical Computer Center in San Diego at the time (1979 to 1981) there was chatter about a "new" type of distribution network in the works. The rest is history...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol Roxbury or even Dot doesn't hold a candle to Tenderloin or any of those places. Plus also in SF the "blech" is now sprayed all over the place, it's not just in Tenderloin
anymore. That said this lady's house is probably in a decent area.

SF has fallen quite a bit in recent years, though. Are there still reasons to go there? Yeah, if you have certain specific things in mind. Like I'll go to a Giants game if I have tickets or a really good restaurant. Generically as a tourist type deal though, where someone doesn't know what they're doing and they just want to traipse around like the tourists do in Boston or NYC? I would tell people to stay the f*** away from it. It's a f***ing dump in that regard. My mom adored that city for many years and now even she doesn't go back there when she's out west.

If I won powerball tomorrow I'd have a 2nd or 3rd house in CA..... probably on the peninsula, but it sure as hell wouldn't be in SF. Then again I'm biased because I was born on the
peninsula... [rofl]

-Mike

I know...I was just picking Murdapan and Rox as best available comparison....I'd honestly not be too scared walking through either of those 'hoods by myself.....A little uncomfortable sure, but not really scared. There's neighborhoods in LA that I wouldn't enter under any circumstances.

But yeah my point is the never ending herpa derp every city is as shithole except my tiny corner of NH shit is tired as hell. Reality is most big cities blow but there's still cool shit to see/do in most of them.

I'm with you on powerball...If I won I'd buy an ocean front house somewhere in San Diego or OC (or maybe monterrey/big sur) but I'd establish a homebase back east prob in NH. I would never buy a house in SF or LA no matter how much coin I had.....Politics aside, socal is pretty awesome....but the politics/cost of living/taxes etc make it basically insufferable as a place to live permanently. To add to my dilemma, I've been in talks with the partner about my boss getting sh*tcanned and me taking over. The raise would be huge, like stupid huge.....if I accept that keeps in in CA longer than I wanted to be here...if I decline, I'm passing up a ridiculous career opportunity.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
$3mil to gut it???? I don't think so. Even in liberal MA it wouldn't be more than a couple-hunnert-thousands just to bring it to the studs. Even if you DOUBLED it for crazy-CA, it wouldn't' make a million. Then it's about what you put in - like the aforementioned used toilets and such.
I've renovated houses like that before. Between abatement and structural work, in a tight urban area, within a heavily regulated jurisdiction, within a tight construction labor market,, within a seismic zone, it gets exponentially expensive before even getting to the renovation part.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've renovated houses like that before. Between abatement and structural work, in a tight urban area, within a heavily regulated jurisdiction, within a tight construction labor market,, within a seismic zone, it gets exponentially expensive before even getting to the renovation part.
I've been wondering who the previous owners were and why they let it get into a state of disrepair like that especially given
the tight housing market, the neighborhood and it being a desirable home.
But, now I'm guessing the cost of renovating it held them back, and they just decided to hold on to it until they could get the price
they wanted and then let the new owners deal with the renovation costs and hassles.

Could be worse, at least it doesn't look like Tyler Durdens house.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
Sometimes the previous owners, even if millionaires, are just plain cheap and or nuts. The last house I worked on similar to this one in SF the owner was filthy rich but their home looked like an abandoned estate in rural Alabama. Private jet and all, with their house falling down around them with holes in the roof and floors.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
"She has authored OAuth and oEmbed API specifications." - That alone was probably worth a pretty penny.
wiki sais that she "authored" then "co-authored" but RFC does NOT list her as author ... :confused:

looking at her "coding" contributions on github it's safe to say that she is neither a "software engineer" nor "developer"

dude, you forgot the worst scourge of all ... the "historical accuracy" ... from what I know from people who had to deal with this shit in MA, it's worse than asbesthos or lead removal. At least you got procedures for those, historic bullshit is basically old self-important ladies who want to make your life miserable to feel better about themselves and their self-worth.

Reactions: TLB

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

friscoeast

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Historic district be damned. My son lives in the historic part Arlington. Needed a fence around his inground pool. He put up a beautiful vinyl fence, but the historical society didn't like the color. He said sue me. Fence is still up!

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0

out of their minds!!! Iconic home, but WTF, to to get a sandwich and there's a guy shitting on the sidewalk !!!

Photos:

New owner.......if she needs an electrician, I'm available.
Skank tats. No thanks.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I do not understand. If I had $6.5 million burning a hole in my pocket, the very LAST place I'd be looking to live is San Francisco. Or LA, or NYC, or ...

Cities suck. Crowded, noisy, stinky. And that's before the Bug-Of-The-Week infects half of it.

Haven't these people heard of Zoom, VPNs, ... ??
Why are you equating what you like with what she likes ?

Of course you dont understand it, because you arent her.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I won powerball tomorrow I'd have a 2nd or 3rd house in CA..... probably on the peninsula, but it sure as hell wouldn't be in SF. Then again I'm biased because I was born on the
peninsula... [rofl]

-Mike
Quoting it because I cant believe you just wrote that. Did you start drinking early?

Reactions: TLB

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Quoting it because I cant believe you just wrote that. Did you start drinking early?
The weather and food there is amazing. The communism is horrendous, though. Would I live there full time? f*** no, but I have friends and family there too. If those two things
weren't there, I'd probably be less inclined to say that.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I would have a house in the foothills of the Sierra's if i had the cash...Fishing, snowboarding, dirtbike, street bikes, hiking, backpacking. Would be awesome.
If I was more into that I'd be on the Nevada side of the lake... two problems fixed at once... and you can just drive over the line, as needed. [laugh]

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Her net worth is 13 million, after buying and renovating, that's gonna be a big hit for her. I didn't see the estimated value once it's fixed? But I only skimmed

Top Bottom