Want a 'fix-er-upper' in San Fran??

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how f***ed up these progs are: something that can't be given away even in Massatwoshits commands millions of dollars there. Cuz around stinky bums who shit in the street.
I especially like the gas ‘monitor’ heater I front of the beautiful old fireplace. Where’s some Jewish lightening when ya need it?!?!

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I wouldn’t call one of the “painted lady” houses a piece of shit house. It just needs to be remodeled. A $3m remodel and she’ll probably get her money back and then some if she sells. If she doesn’t she’ll still have an iconic house in the most expensive city in the country. Hell, people drop $5m on arguably less around here.

Last edited:

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I wish her the best. Looks like a hard-working young lady. I wouldn't begrudge her a thing...

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I do not understand. If I had $6.5 million burning a hole in my pocket, the very LAST place I'd be looking to live is San Francisco. Or LA, or NYC, or ...

Cities suck. Crowded, noisy, stinky. And that's before the Bug-Of-The-Week infects half of it.

Haven't these people heard of Zoom, VPNs, ... ??
Different strokes...Before I moved to where I am now, I didn’t think I’d move out of the city.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
"Culver is a software engineer by trade who has worked in the industry since the early days of the internet and is now running a podcast app company."

She's 37 years old which means she was born in 1983. Early days of the internet? What, was she 10 when she started in the industry which really started (as we know it) in the early 90's? The WWW was "invented" in 1989 when she was 6 years old.
Amen.

1969, 1983, 1985 or 1995 depending on the landmark you choose (I don’t count “www” because http is just another protocol on top of tcp and therefore uninteresting)

R, crap I’ve been doing this too long

1969 - first IMPs connected; beginning of arpanet
1983 - “flag day;” arpanet converts to tcp/ip
1985 - NSFnet replaces arpanet, still noncommercial
1995 - CIX replaces NSFnet (well ... “augments”); First legitimate commercial use

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I do not understand. If I had $6.5 million burning a hole in my pocket, the very LAST place I'd be looking to live is San Francisco. Or LA, or NYC, or ...

Cities suck. Crowded, noisy, stinky. And that's before the Bug-Of-The-Week infects half of it.

Haven't these people heard of Zoom, VPNs, ... ??
If I had that money, I would blow it on stupid sh*t, then I would log into NES and enjoy the comments.

Some people love the outdoors. Some people love the city life. You dont make enough money to throw $6M at a house sitting around in a ranch using horrible satelite internet. Webex and Zoom are good for 80% of business, but there is still a good chunk that needs to be done in person.

I have closed some big deals (several million dollars) and I can tell you, no matter how many Webexe meetings I had, my relationship with the customer never progressed the way it did when we met in person, shook hands, talked business and went out for drinks.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had that money, I would blow it on stupid sh*t, then I would log into NES and enjoy the comments.

Some people love the outdoors. Some people love the city life. You dont make enough money to throw $6M at a house sitting around in a ranch using horrible satelite internet. Webex and Zoom are good for 80% of business, but there is still a good chunk that needs to be done in person.

I have closed some big deals (several million dollars) and I can tell you, no matter how many Webexe meetings I had, my relationship with the customer never progressed the way it did when we met in person, shook hands, talked business and went out for drinks.
...where I'm an Aspie so human interaction is generally painful. When I have to meet with customers, I drive, fly, ..., out and do so, then it's back to my cave.

If I had that kind of spare change, it would be good incentive to finish my private ticket. Hell, with that kind of bucks I'd hire my best friend who's a hair away from his commercial.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Every floor in those photos has asbestos tiles, the place has enough heavily leaded and cadmium containing paint to make batteries, knob and tube wiring + cotton jacketed wire, lead alloy soft brass threaded pipe and solder, water damage, pest infestations, toxic mold, and G-d knows what else biological and petroleum contamination. She's going to wind up spending the equivalent of the purchase price making the place habitable with everything wrong with it.
this.

Also keep in mind that this is SanFran where everything gives you cancer, i.e. to do anything you need to comply with billion of regulations. It would be cheaper to buy a toxic dump.

Reality is, it would be cheaper to wrap that house in plastic wrap, ship it to China and have exact replica made with less lead and asbestos. Can you imagine all the permits you need to pull on such a tight spot to do anything there?

Or, also I'm sure that taxes on that toxic dump will be mint.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
she should make a reality show out of this, you guys remember this classic "from the early days of internet" (actually):

if you thought that boats were bad investment ... lol

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Her (publicly known) net worth is $13m. She doesn’t care about the cost and if she’s making a show of some kind out of the remodel she’ll be getting some back. I’m betting she comes out ahead on the other side but like I said even if she doesn’t she has a great status house and has gotten some publicity.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
this.

Also keep in mind that this is SanFran where everything gives you cancer, i.e. to do anything you need to comply with billion of regulations. It would be cheaper to buy a toxic dump.

Reality is, it would be cheaper to wrap that house in plastic wrap, ship it to China and have exact replica made with less lead and asbestos. Can you imagine all the permits you need to pull on such a tight spot to do anything there?

Or, also I'm sure that taxes on that toxic dump will be mint.
You have a good point. Since everything causes cancer in Cali, what materials do they use?

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
You have a good point. Since everything causes cancer in Cali, what materials do they use?
lol, you just pay a bunch of money to douchebags and say that you hate Trump, and just like that all the cancer goes away and your private jet is going to exhaust pure ozone into atmosphere.

The only fools in a great Ponzi scheme of Cali real estate are the people who could not find even greater fools. In CA she has a stellar chance to come up ahead.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

out of their minds!!! Iconic home, but WTF, to to get a sandwich and there's a guy shitting on the sidewalk !!!

Photos:

New owner.......if she needs an electrician, I'm available.
Dayum...NOT GUILTY!

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
A good friend owned a tech company for decades. He had what he called the geeks in the basement. Much like you they preferred minimal customer contact but could do so if absolutely needed.

I don't think back then we had the understanding of what "being an Aspie" means. He just knew their comfort zone. Knew they were brilliant. And could solve serious technical issues with ease. And they loved pizza.

For customer interactions he prepped the customer with the notion that anything these guys say that seems obnoxious is really not. It's just part of who they are. Ignore the rough edges and you'll be rewarded with brilliance.

Fascinating how the tech world interacts so well with the Aspie world. So common these days.

:)

...where I'm an Aspie so human interaction is generally painful. When I have to meet with customers, I drive, fly, ..., out and do so, then it's back to my cave.

If I had that kind of spare change, it would be good incentive to finish my private ticket. Hell, with that kind of bucks I'd hire my best friend who's a hair away from his commercial.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Every floor in those photos has asbestos tiles, the place has enough heavily leaded and cadmium containing paint to make batteries, knob and tube wiring + cotton jacketed wire, lead alloy soft brass threaded pipe and solder, water damage, pest infestations, toxic mold, and G-d knows what else biological and petroleum contamination. She's going to wind up spending the equivalent of the purchase price making the place habitable with everything wrong with it.
$3mil to gut it???? I don't think so. Even in liberal MA it wouldn't be more than a couple-hunnert-thousands just to bring it to the studs. Even if you DOUBLED it for crazy-CA, it wouldn't' make a million. Then it's about what you put in - like the aforementioned used toilets and such.

I would hit it
She might pay you - it'll make the reno cheaper if hit by a vehicle I bet. But the foundations tend to be high, so bring a ramp.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
depends on neighborhood though. There's stinky bums in boston. Boston's a political shithole, but writing off the whole city as an all encompassing shithole because Mattapan and Roxbury exist is kinda dumb. LA has skid row, SF has tenderloin district. I wouldn't go anywhere near either of those areas. I'd never live in Boston or any other big city for that matter, mostly bc I hate people and like space...but I find most cities have some cool/fun shit to see and do if you can put politics aside for a day or 2.....
Lol Roxbury or even Dot doesn't hold a candle to Tenderloin or any of those places. Plus also in SF the "blech" is now sprayed all over the place, it's not just in Tenderloin
anymore. That said this lady's house is probably in a decent area.

SF has fallen quite a bit in recent years, though. Are there still reasons to go there? Yeah, if you have certain specific things in mind. Like I'll go to a Giants game if I have tickets or a really good restaurant. Generically as a tourist type deal though, where someone doesn't know what they're doing and they just want to traipse around like the tourists do in Boston or NYC? I would tell people to stay the f*** away from it. It's a f***ing dump in that regard. My mom adored that city for many years and now even she doesn't go back there when she's out west.

If I won powerball tomorrow I'd have a 2nd or 3rd house in CA..... probably on the peninsula, but it sure as hell wouldn't be in SF. Then again I'm biased because I was born on the
peninsula... [rofl]

-Mike

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
$3mil to gut it???? I don't think so. Even in liberal MA it wouldn't be more than a couple-hunnert-thousands just to bring it to the studs. Even if you DOUBLED it for crazy-CA, it wouldn't' make a million. Then it's about what you put in - like the aforementioned used toilets and such.

She might pay you - it'll make the reno cheaper if hit by a vehicle I bet. But the foundations tend to be high, so bring a ramp.
Oh yeah? 1 million to gut out, remediate asbestos etc, dig the basemt down, pour footings, restructure with steel to eliminate bearing walls at the interior, reframe, restore all the punky gingerbread with custom milled reproductions... custom paint.
That leaves only 2 mil for reproduction custom windows and doors, all new top of the line latest hi tech mechanicals, 4 level glass and stainless stair, elevator, the best kitchens and baths with marble everywhere, custom cabinets, riftsawn oak floors, on and on.
Hi end builders will know how to spend that 3 mil.

Top Bottom