• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walther PPK? Carry gun option?

radioman

NES Member
My piggy bank is getting close to the amount necessary to buy a new or used carry pistol. I've been saving quite a wile so I want to make a wise choice. I own three full size 9mm semi pistols Ruger SR9, S&W M&P9, Beretta 92. I do carry the full size pistols all the time no problem. I just wanted to get something smaller for those warm days wearing shorts. I have the Ruger SR9c the S&W M&P9c and the Walther PPS on my list but I also wanted to ask opinions on the PPK. I know many people don't like the Ruger so please don't bash me for liking it. My SR9 is one of my favorite pistols and for the money the SR9c is high on the list. If I had to buy today I would get the PPS but I would like to get more information on the other choices.

Thank you

I have an older Manurhin PPK/S in .380ACP and have found it to be a good accurate pistol, if a bit smaller caliber than many people think is sufficient for self-defense use. It seems to be much better made than some of the newer models. The only downsides I can think of are that it is a bit heavy for pocket carry (at least for me) and they tend to have a rather heavy double-action trigger pull. Single action is nice tho.

I almost sold it a few years ago but thankfully was talked out of it by my FFL although he would gladly have taken it off my hands.

Don't overlook revolvers, radioman. I find a j frame to be the most comfortable for summertime pocket carry.

Don't overlook revolvers, radioman. I find a j frame to be the most comfortable for summertime pocket carry.

I do like revolvers very much. I have a 629 that I will have till the day I pass. The problem with a wheel gun is I don't want to get into another caliber. So unless I can find a 9mm or 44mag compact revolver I'm out of luck.[smile]

I carry a stainless Interarms PPK/s this time of year, IWB. If you decide on a PP variant, do yourself a favor and find one made before S&W took over U.S. production.

I've had two Interarms PPKs (not two PPK/s's, but two of the PPK model) and found them both to be very reliable. Only glitch I've had was that my first one would choke EVERY TIME on Blazer aluminum-cased rounds. OTOH, it fed Winchester Silvertips with 100% reliability.

Would I carry it? Does the fact that I have a pocket holster for it answer your question? Yes. It's concealable, reliable and I can hit what I aim for with it. Wouldn't use it for hunting mastodon, but that's what the 629 is for. [laugh]

I do like revolvers very much. I have a 629 that I will have till the day I pass. The problem with a wheel gun is I don't want to get into another caliber. So unless I can find a 9mm or 44mag compact revolver I'm out of luck.[smile]

I got ya. How about a Kahr PM9? I think there's one in the classifieds right now. Or a kel tec p11 may do it for you.

Would the .380 be a new cartridge for you? If so, have you asked around about availability/price of ammo?

I'd say go for it if you're looking for a heavy-ish gun with a crappy DA trigger in a marginal self defense caliber with snappy recoil.

I have a Walther PPS that completely disappears in my Supertuck IWB holster. Love the PPS! Never any problems with it. Actually looking to trade it or sell it to get a larger caliber. I'm just a one gun guy. Not really a need (for me) to have more than one. It's in excellent shape if you're interested... I would definetly recommend the PPS. You wouldnt even know you're carrying it...

In my opinion the PPK is too large and too heavy for the caliber. You can find a smaller firearm that weighs less with a larger bore on it. I'm not bashing .380. I personally carry a LCP but compare the two sizes and weights then you'll see where I'm going with this. .380 is hard to find and expensive to shoot. I've held a PPS. They're nice but the one I saw had a whole lot of reliability issues. One being, removing the backstrap disables the gun from firing (the backstrap on this particular pistol would become dislodged at times). Although the triggers on them are far from desireable M&Pc's are nice. Also if you have a go with a new caliber (.380) I'd recommend just going with a wheel gun and packing away .357. S&W makes airweights in the $450 range. Can't beat that. I have one myself. So my vote IMHO.. Stay away from the PPK.

I'd say go for it if you're looking for a heavy-ish gun with a crappy DA trigger in a marginal self defense caliber with snappy recoil.

On the other hand they are good cat guns and they don't come chambered in .40 S&W.

I have an older PP which fits that description. I don't shoot it or carry it, so what does it matter? It will just go to the kids and grandkids when I kick the bucket. Jack.

Heavy for it's size: Yes
Marginal SD caliber: Arguably so
Snappy recoil: You betcha

The DA pull on mine is, while of course heavy like all PP variants, very smooth and crisp. I juggled different weight hammer springs until I got a DA pull that wasn't so horrible, but still detonated primers every time.

I certainly agree that the PP guns are pretty much obsolete considering what you can find in pocket .380's nowadays, but I shoot mine well, can hit what I'm aiming at, and trust the gun to work. It's stainless so I'm not worried about destroying the finish as I sweat like a pig in this summer heat. When the weather cools down I'll go with the Makarov.

I have an older PP which fits that description. I don't shoot it or carry it, so what does it matter? It will just go to the kids and grandkids when I kick the bucket. Jack.

Yup. I have one too. I love the way it looks and feels, and it's pretty accurate. I wouldn't carry it for self defense though.

I just started carrying and decided on the PPK/S at least to start out with. It's easily concealed in shorts and a T shirt. I am comfortable with 380 auto as a defense caliber for now but probably wouldn't go any smaller. I have one of the newer S+W ones and it has been 100% reliable and reasonably accurate. Once it's out of DA mode follow up shots are pretty easy too as the trigger lightens up significantly.

I looking for a summer carry as well. I do carry the SR9 most of the time. I was thinking Glock 26 or Ruger LCR. Is the Glock 19 much smaller than the SR9?

I think I've made a mistake here. Am I wrong in thinking I can get the PPK in 9mm????

I thought I could, but from what I'm reading, I now think not! Do I have to go with the PPS if I want a small Walther in 9mm?

Thank you for the help.

P.S.--EddieCoyle do you have a suggestion or are you just busting balls??[wink]

I think I've made a mistake here. Am I wrong in thinking I can get the PPK in 9mm????

I thought I could, but from what I'm reading, I now think not! Do I have to go with the PPS if I want a small Walther in 9mm?

Thank you for the help.

P.S.--EddieCoyle do you have a suggestion or are you just busting balls??[wink]

The PPK is a straight-blowback .380. The PPS is 9mm.

I'm busting balls and suggesting the PPS. I carry one.

May I suggest a PPS in 40 S&W. or a P99C AS in 9MM ....Nice thing with the P99 is you can buy a pre ban 16 round mag for it....I also carried a PPK/S-1 with a Crimson trace. Few problems early on but worked them out...nice carry comfortable and shoots well...as do the other two I mentioned.

I went with the PPS (9) after many years w/the PPK.
The .380 ammo was difficult to locate & expensive to practice with.
I sent the PPK back to S&W for recall work (new saftey block),and picked up a PPS while it was "In the shop".
I liked the comfort & concealability and styling(...yes its styling [shocked]) so I upgraded to 9mm [laugh] and stuck with it.

...the P-99c is a great underrated carry Walther too,and pop up in the classifieds periodiacally for under $500.

Thank you for the help.

9mm Kurz=.380 Auto I have one and carry it. It's not the best carry gun and can be frustrating to shoot at times (blazer ammo). It's rough on the hands for range fun. BUT, I shoot it better than any of my other guns and feel comfortable carrying it cocked and locked. They definately need a few hundred rounds to be broken in before carry though. Go buy one!

haven't read all the thread, but I have been researching the sig p232 and its looking very good. Many of the criteria are specific and are beyond availability and power of the .380

Back
Top Bottom