Walther G22

Brin747

NES Member
15 year old son has some cash burning a hole in his pocket. Took him to our favorite gun ship and they have one of these that he's taken a liking to. The price is right but I don't know anything about these . Any feedback?

He already has a 10-22 so he's just looking fora fun plinker and he likes the look and feel of this one.

15 year old son has some cash burning a hole in his pocket. Took him to our favorite gun ship and they have one of these that he's taken a liking to. The price is right but I don't know anything about these . Any feedback?

He already has a 10-22 so he's just looking fora fun plinker and he likes the look and feel of this one.

Have had one for maybe 5 years great gun. Shoots great, I put a better scope on it and it is accurate.

I've wanted one for a while. Any of the feedback I've seen on them has said that they're fun, but ammo picky and a pain in the wang to field strip/clean.

He looked at the M&P but it's out of his budget. The G22 is half the price and in nice shape. He can't afford to feed an AR, just wants a backyard plinker with some style.

G22? you mean P22? It's okay I think if I had to do it again I'd try the Sig Mosquito?
My P22 was new about 700 rounds ago and it runs okay. Might be the ammo but it has it's issues like fail to fire or fail to chamber or fail to eject. A lot of fail to chambers then a smaller bit of ejects and the rare fail to fires.

Good gun to practice malfunctions though. [grin]

If you get to try one out, try it first and see what you think.

G22? you mean P22? It's okay I think if I had to do it again I'd try the Sig Mosquito?
My P22 was new about 700 rounds ago and it runs okay. Might be the ammo but it has it's issues like fail to fire or fail to chamber or fail to eject. A lot of fail to chambers then a smaller bit of ejects and the rare fail to fires.

Good gun to practice malfunctions though. [grin]

If you get to try one out, try it first and see what you think.
G22 is the rifle
The G22 looks cool ans has rhe extra mag that is in the stock but I would go with an M&P 15-22 that is prob around same price

I owned a G22 for a while. On the plus side, it was super compact and quite accurate. The unusually tight barrel did make it very ammo sensitive, though. Brands that worked fine in my other .22s wouldn't even chamber, let alone extract reliably. Still, I don't think this is a huge deal with a rimfire gun. Just experiment until you find something it likes.

What killed it for me was the polymer optics rail - which was way too flexible, especially with a scope. There are rumors on the Walther forums about a shim you can order from the importer to stiffen up the mounting, but I couldn't see how this would help much. The rail is part of the stock and even the lightest pressure would alter the alignment to the barrel assembly. Put the gun in the case, POI changed. Adjust the scope zoom, POI changed. Leave the gun on the bench on a sunny day, POI changed. Pretty frustrating unless you were just plinking.

Replacing the scope with a small red dot (Burris FastFire) did seem to help a little with the wandering POI. Less weight on the rail, I guess. But I really wanted magnification and couldn't deal with constantly re-zeroing the rifle, so I ended up trading it in.

YMMV, obviously. Lots of G22 owners seem happy and it's a clever design in other respects.

He looked at the M&P but it's out of his budget. The G22 is half the price and in nice shape. He can't afford to feed an AR, just wants a backyard plinker with some style.
I've got one. Fun little toy. Very gentle to shoot. Don't recall it being picky about ammo. I still prefer the M&P15-22 over all other .22's... but for something really different, the G22 is not a bad choice.

Well, as it turned out we went back to pick it up and someone had walked out the door with it 10 minutes earlier. This after it had sat on the shelf for 6 months.

So now he is looking at a Mossberg 715T.

Back
Top Bottom