• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walpole

I'm looking a the application checklist which includes the following:
"Letter to the Police Chief noting specific reasonable belief to fear personal injury."

How the heck do you do that without sounding paranoid?
Uh, watch the news on any given day?

Please don't flame me. I'm really looking for some guidance here.
Thanks.

I'm looking a the application checklist which includes the following:
"Letter to the Police Chief noting specific reasonable belief to fear personal injury."

How the heck do you do that without sounding paranoid?
Uh, watch the news on any given day?

Please don't flame me. I'm really looking for some guidance here.
Thanks.
When they say that they're usually looking for a history of violent attack or threats thereof against you. They'll often ask for police reports and the like.

And they're allowed because it's their own little fiefdom.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I got my class a unrestricted in Walpole a few years ago, no issues, chief was cool. New CoP?

I just listed my kids as a reason: I'm responsible for their safety, taking all reasonable legal precautions.

And the LTC is obviously for when I'm *not* in Walpole: I don't need an LTC at home. Yes, Walpole is safe, but we occasionally go places that aren't as nice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What a dickbag CoP. You should move. Or just write a letter saying that you don't currently fear for your life, but as much as he doesn't like it, this is still technically a part of the US and you have rights. That should get you a restricted license instead of nothing at all.

Last edited:
I got my class a unrestricted in Walpole a few years ago, no issues, chief was cool. New CoP?

I just listed my kids as a reason: I'm responsible for their safety, taking all reasonable legal precautions.

And the LTC is obviously for when I'm *not* in Walpole: I don't need an LTC at home. Yes, Walpole is safe, but we occasionally go places that aren't as nice.

This gives me an idea. Tell him you routinely travel to and through areas that are not as safe as Walpole. Just kidding, good luck.

And if it wasn't for suitability you could ignore this BS add on and he couldn't deny you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Do you own a business? Carry large amounts of cash? Make a nightly deposit? Anything like that will do.

Thanks for the helpful answer. Unfortunately, the answer is "no" to all of those questions but I see how you're thinking. Maybe I can come up with something. I guess the worst that could happen is I can possess firearms, buy ammo, etc. but can't have a loaded gun in my car or on my person (pointless). From what I can figure about the confusing Mass firearms laws is that they are designed to make ME a criminal when all I want to do is exercise my right to self defense (God forbid) and not run into legal trouble. Thanks again.

bkibler, I don't know if there is a new CoP in Walpole. That's worth looking into. Maybe it won't be big deal. Do you remember having to write such a letter? When I was originally thinking I might move to Norwood, I contacted the Chief there. Great guy! Unfortunately I couldn't find a place that I liked AND could afford.

tell him you have a hooker habit and usually the cops have dibs, so you need to protect yo' shit

Slap Shot, I like your style. Condoms and concealed weapon.... What else does a guy need? I need a carry license for when I'm carrying cash to lady friends LOL

Do you ever hike in the woods in areas where there are coyotes and other predators?

I used local criminal activity in my town to indicate it was not 100% safe for citizens (non-criminals). Google for violent crime (i.e. hold-ups, break-ins, drug busts, etc.) that involves regular citizens that occurred in your town.

I had to do that in my town as well. I said I routinely hike in the western part of the state where I come into close contact with black bears.

My town had a space for that and i've always just left it blank or written ALP. Never once was asked for clarification.

How about I'm a conservative Trump supporter living in an anti-Trump State and I am constantly harassed and threatened by far left liberals?

This.

Experience with Walpole PD over the past couple years has led me to only one opinion, they are incompetent JBTs. So no surprise when I hear their CoP is as described. The FD on the other hand, great people.

bkibler, I don't know if there is a new CoP in Walpole. That's worth looking into. Maybe it won't be big deal. Do you remember having to write such a letter? When I was originally thinking I might move to Norwood, I contacted the Chief there. Great guy! Unfortunately I couldn't find a place that I liked AND could afford.
Turns out there has been a new Walpole CoP since 2015. I got my class A under the old chief. I had to fill out the "specific reasons for requesting" letter, but the chief didn't give me any grief.

During the in-person interview, you can highlight other reasons to consider you worthy: military experience, FID cardholder for 15+ years prior, hunted since a kid, etc. I also told the full story of defending my family at gunpoint as a teenager (rural farm, county sheriff was 30 minutes away). Be honest, transparent, and come across as an upstanding good guy, and it might help.

It's ironic, because when I moved to Walpole from Norwood 6 years ago, I figured I was moving to a more rural, presumably "greener" town. I guess a new chief can change all of that.

Back
Top Bottom