Walnut or Corn Media ?

I found that a cap of Nu-Finish was way too much in the small (5 pound) vibration tumbler from harbor freight. half a cap is plenty!

You can get corn cob media at the Grainger store.

Is Grainger now selling to the general public? I once had an account with them (necessary at the time) but let it expire. I then tried to make a purchase and they turned me away. This was quite a while ago.

Their outlet store, "DRILLSPOT" will do biz with anyone.

Pneumatic Blasting Media - Finishing Supplies - Machining

I wait until they have their sale, with free shipping.

Otherwise, it's Amazon for me on the crushed walnut shell media.

Is Grainger now selling to the general public? I once had an account with them (necessary at the time) but let it expire. I then tried to make a purchase and they turned me away. This was quite a while ago.

Im a noob but I inderstand that walnut shell works great but if you forget your brass is tumbling you can ruin it. You dont have to worry with corn cob.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

This week I forgot to turn off my tumbler for 2 days while cleaning 9mm. They look just fine and really, really, really shiny. [laugh]

I actually use a combination of both. My brass tends to come out super clean and smooth doing it this way as well. I use walnut first. For the super dirty brass, i do a quick buffing with a dremel before dropping it in the walnut, or i toss it. Once thats tumbled for a few hours, i throw it in to a corn cob media that i use to sweep away the walnut for about 10 minutes(i hear that walnut can scratch your dies). Then i use another batch of corn and leave it in with a capful of nufinish for a few more hours to get it super shiny.

I used walnut for years. I switched to the corn cob in a very fine grit. I find that the corn cob doesn't wedge itself in the flash holes like the walnut does. It's not as aggressive as the walnut, so I just let the tumbler run a little longer. Brass will come out very shiny with either one.

Seem to have hit on a good combo after some experimenting with some pretty dirty .223.
2 hours in the walnut and then 11/2 hours in the corn cob with the nu finish.
Man it comes out pretty [smile]
How fussy should I be about the interior?
Some of it still has a bit of carbon at the bottom , but not bad

Do some research on stainless steel media. Best way by far to clean brass. Inside and out. Primer pockets and flash holes are all spotless. Much better resaults in about half the time of other methods.

Last edited:
OOPS sorry forgot to quote

Yes they are. They have retail stores now.

I had an account with labsafety.com, which got bought out by Grainger. Grainger sent me a catalog, but because I didn't have a company account, Grainger wouldn't let me order from them. [Thinking]

I have to say that it would take something special for me to go back to a company that once told me it was to special to take my money.

Gary,
Thanks - That's what I bought last time and it did/does work well - price at Drillspot with shipping went up - I am buying it local this time.
I have a lot of brass to clean this winter I may try a bag of the 14-20 too.

I only buy when they offer free shipping but living here, I don't have a lot of options. $25 shipping is still cheaper than gasoline [wink]

As is with all my reloading gear, I am set for a long time anyway

CLINT SALES
117 ELLIOTT ST
PO BOX 314
BEVERLY, MA 1915
Phone: 978.927.3010

ask for Cindy. she can hook you up with grit o cob by the 50# bag.
she's awesome. customer service was great

They also have walnut shells at times. Worth a call and depending on your area it may be able to get delivered.

TY43215 - Depending on where "here" is I may be able to do another Green Member a favor and deliver a bag for you.

Walnut media
1 capfull Nu-Finish car polish
1 capfull oderless mineral spirits
1 USED dryer sheet

Mix everything for 5 minutes before adding brass.

I do this, but I use a 50-50 mix on the media, consisting of Lyman Green Corncob and Lizard Bedding from Petco. I have had my brass called "jewelry" so it must work. To expand on EC's statement about not using the Pet Store Corncob Bedding, if that crap gets into a small casing, it's there for good. Spend a few bucks on the good stuff. (Credit for the Nu-Finish idea goes to DukeinMaine.)

They also have walnut shells at times. Worth a call and depending on your area it may be able to get delivered.

TY43215 - Depending on where "here" is I may be able to do another Green Member a favor and deliver a bag for you.
I spoke with Cindy earlier today and plan to go there next week.
Price was very fair. Delivery is free when you buy a pallet - but I think that's like 20 bags.
I will ask about the walnut - Thanks

Thanks for the offer. I still have about 60# so I am set for now. Here is mid Cape area as a FYI but I am pretty sure PMD knew that [wink]

Picked up a bag today. I've got about 100 30.06 and 100 .22 Hornet cases in it now. I'd call them my worst cases. I have generally used what was available for media and just dumped out the Frankford stuff that was in the machine. I'll let you know.

I am now converted to Gritocobs.

Last edited:
can't beat the customer service. cindy was nice as could be.
i'm set for a while but i'll be ordering more from them in a few months

Back
Top Bottom