Walnut or Corn Media ?

I use corn cob grit because it is cheaper. This allows you to dump it before a dangerous concentration of lead develops. You can improve the cleaning/polishing by adding metal polish or Nu Finish car polish.

I find the lizard liter crushed walnut works just fine. Get a petco or pet smart rewards card and watch for sales. Look for damaged bags or just ask. I pretty much got a life time supply buy buying several bags when on sale buy 1 get one 1/2 off plus 5 large damaged bags for 2.50 ea. I use a mix of 50/50 Nufinish and oderless mineral spirits. I cant say how many rounds I get out of a batch of media in the tumbler but I changed mine after 2 years when it seemed to just be turning into dust?

When I dry-tumble, I use corn 10/14 grit cob blast media (from Grit-O-Cobs) and Nu-Finish.

Never use corn cob kitty litter or pet bedding.

I use The Andersons Grit-O-Cobs as well. 40lb bags available at the local boatyard. They use it for blasting bottom paint.

Thanks guys.
The nu finish is a new one on me.
Tumbler should be here this week.
Got a ton of brass just waiting.

Walnut media
1 capfull Nu-Finish car polish
1 capfull oderless mineral spirits
1 USED dryer sheet

Mix everything for 5 minutes before adding brass.

Naturally since i asked for advice here, I do a combination of all of the above[rofl]

I use NuFinish and mineral spirits with the Harbor Freight walnut blast media in a Harbor Freight 18 pound tumbler. The Nu Finish is the key to long-lasting super shiny brass.

Chris

Im a noob but I inderstand that walnut shell works great but if you forget your brass is tumbling you can ruin it. You dont have to worry with corn cob.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

converted my dad to a rock tumbler and steel pin media after 1 batch.... super clean cases, much quieter then a vibrators and a hell of lot less dust (better yet no dust what so ever)

a little more $$ up front but we have been using the same 7lbs of steel pins for 8 months. rinse out the tumbler bucket with the pins in it with water till it comes out clear and reuse.

I've had two tumblers fail on me where the failure mode was that they just stopped running and got really hot - enough to partially melt the plastic bowl.

Therefore, the idea of adding an inflammable liquid like mineral spirits to the already combustible dry media has little appeal to me.

that walnut shell works great but if you forget your brass is tumbling you can ruin it.

What does "ruin" mean? I have tumbled nickel overnight removing the nickel plating, but I am confused how the walnut shells can ruin the brass.

Chris

I've had two tumblers fail on me where the failure mode was that they just stopped running and got really hot - enough to partially melt the plastic bowl.

Therefore, the idea of adding an inflammable liquid like mineral spirits to the already combustible dry media has little appeal to me.

yup, listen to this, but I think you meant a flammable liquid[smile]

Last edited:
When it takes way too long to clean your brass.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

CLINT SALES
117 ELLIOTT ST
PO BOX 314
BEVERLY, MA 1915
Phone: 978.927.3010

ask for cindy. she can hook you up with grit o cob by the 50# bag.
she's awesome. customer service was great

CLINT SALES
117 ELLIOTT ST
PO BOX 314
BEVERLY, MA 1915
Phone: 978.927.3010

ask for cindy. she can hook you up with grit o cob by the 50# bag.
she's awesome. customer service was great

Thanks. I am running low and haven't found a new supplier since Beede in Lowell went out of business.

yup, listen to this, but I think you meant a flammable liquid[smile]

inflammable and flammable are synonyms FYI

I've been using the frankford arsenal cleaner and media that came with the package tumbler deal and will be moving to corncob and nufinish once it's no longer effective.

Well the tumbler came in and we did our first bunch of 9mm.
Used the nu- finish and they came out shiney as a new penny [grin]
Another question I had was , do you add more polish each batch you do.? Or just the one time for each tumbler of media?

i add some every now and then when it seems they're not shining up as nice.
if they're coming out really dull almost matte it could be that the media is just really dirty. toss it and refill

Back
Top Bottom