• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walmart Survival Gear

Hiltonizer

Banned
Hey All,

I thought this might be a good idea for a thread (sticky maybe if it takes off?)

We have some pretty well organized Walmart's in New England with robust outdoor sections. An added benefit of living in an 'affluent' part of the country with every type of outdoor activity is available to us locally. There other departments can be key as well... Walmart brand bleach is a great deal and no different than Clorox. I've also found a lot of their generic food stuffs to be a "great value" (their new generics name, not-so-ironically)

But with Walmart being Walmart, some of the prices are too good to be true.. but always bring quality concerns into question.

What I'm hoping to start here is a thread where we can all contribute reviews on 'great Walmart deals', and 'worst Walmart buys' so we can make it a good reference for people looking to prepare on a budget.

----
Good

- Ammo needs to discussion
- Remington brand backpack, roughly $20... seems well built, but far from ideal as survival pack. Should make an excellent 72hour or GHB.
- Ozark Trail brand hatchet, $5. Upon further research, this is actually a re-branded Coghlan's. Has resisted rusting to my suprise after over a years use, gets the job done. Softer metal requires sharpening more often than higher priced hatchets, but also makes it easy to sharpen with something as common as a flat rock
- Foil blanket, $1sh, these appear to be standard fair.. did not seem any lesser quality than a name-brand one I also have (got it cheap for a GHB)

Bad
- Ozark Tents and Sleeping bags, not worth the price savings. Flimsy materials, do not hold up. Not much cheaper than than Coleman MAXX equivalents

These are just a few examples off the top of my head, I hope others can contribute.

A question I have is that i've seen LARGE selections Gerber and Buck knives there as late... but are they really Gerbers and Bucks or cheap alternatives re-branded to appease Walmarts pricing policies? (Sort of how Home Depot will sell outsource manufactured brand appliances because HD will incist on special pricing)

Most of my GHB is Wal-Mart purchased. Keeping in mind that my GHB is only meant to get me home-most of the gear is worth the cost and is plenty durable for what I consider to be no more than a 3-7 affair.

Most of my GHB is Wal-Mart purchased. Keeping in mind that my GHB is only meant to get me home-most of the gear is worth the cost and is plenty durable for what I consider to be no more than a 3-7 affair.

Good point Paul.

In my case, and i'm sure in many others.. a GHB might involve 2-3 overnights. But the same mentality still applies. To me, a 72hb and a GHB are one in the same, therefore my GHB would become a 72hb as it's always in my truck, and I'm never without my truck!

Another good item for this:

Ozark Brand Multi-Tool, $20 IIRC. I have had one for fishing for over 2 years now, no signs of rust, still pretty sharp having only been sharpend when I first got it.. very sturdy for the money.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75043&page=8

Post 72 you'll see most of the gear is Wally World. I would bag the multi-tool (Ozark anyway) for something a bit more durable. That will come in handy farther down the road than the trip home. I had one in my tackle box for a few years and upgraded when I had the cash. Wasn't too impressed. In a pinch though-something is better than nothing.

I picked up fleece zip blanket for $10 at Walmart. It rolls up/compresses small, weighs around a pound, and will keep you warm even if wet. I was comfortable sleeping in the 40's. You also can slip it inside your sleeping bag for extra warmth. Cheaper upgrade than buying a new bag. YMMV on price and comfort range.
I have a surplus wool blanket that is much warmer, but bulkier, and no use to me if it gets wet.

Hey All,

I thought this might be a good idea for a thread (sticky maybe if it takes off?)

We have some pretty well organized Walmart's in New England with robust outdoor sections.

A Sticky for made in "Red China" camping gear available at Walmart...Seriously?........Um, 1 vote for No.

I can get Mountain House at my local Wally World, not a great selection but one of the cheapest places to buy by me.

I second this, they only have 2-3 different meals, but they are priced about 2 dollars lower than any other store in my area.

Not Walmart, sorry to thread jack... but if you're looking for good prices for very good gear, join REI and attend one of their quarterly garage sales. If you stick around to the end, you can often bargain with the guys and get cheaper prices. For instance, a used Gregory backpack just picked up a few months back for under $20. Inflatable kayaks, NIB $150 each. Car top carrier $100. $200 Hiking shoes because the eyelet (steel insert) was missing, $5 after bargaining with them. Killer backpacking tent $30. I could go on and on, I've bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from this store, but most often shop the clearance and garage sales now. Just get there early, the line forms a few hours early and bring breakfast with you.

Over on the Bison blog, I noticed that he commented that Walmart is now selling super pails of wheat for about $22. Anyone see these in NE or know more about them?

Big thanks to the anonymous coward who neg repp'd me for starting this thread...

That said, Walmart (in Seabrook at least) has good prices on hard rifle cases and plenty to choose from ~$20 IIRC.

Hey Hiltonizer, I pos rep'd you to counterattack. LOL

Seriously, the REI garage sale is coming up soon. Natick is the one closest to me. 1/30/10 at 10 am - but get there early if you're planning on being there. I'll be the one first in line sipping a hot chocolate and waving $1 bills.

Walmart.

i got my range bag there, cost $30 bucks, still holding up. can hold a good 700 to 1k rounds of ammo and two pistols no problem.

it's the green one. not sure of the brand.

SHARPS - knives, ax, machettes ect, can be had relatively cheap. may need sharpening

anything "generic" is pretty good... i.e jeans to use at the range, foam ear plugs, targets, staples, staple guns

but IMO - anything "specialty" should probably be closely examined... such as back packs (ruck sack if you may), boots, tents, coats ect...

One of my favorite purchases at Target, (I think it was) was a Wind Up Flashlight with a plug in the end for devices with the car charger. Light was only 20 bucks, the LEDs are bright enough, and there is a strobe function. Granted it takes a few minutes to charge Cell Phones and iPods with this thing, but in a pinch it works. I tested it out while at my last Annual Training in VA. 5 days in the field and charging my cell phone with this thing. Never did sit and try to charge it all the way, but enough to make a short call.

Back
Top Bottom