• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walmart Ruger 10/22 vs. Gunshop Ruger 10/22

Reptile

NES Member
I heard that the Ruger 10/22 comes in a cheap version and a better version.

I just bought the "All Weather" stainless version for $270. Dicks had it for cheaper, but they are sold out. I'm far from Four Seasons so I can't buy it for $239 from them.

How do I tell if the one I got was the higher quality version and not the Walmart version?

I'm pretty sure the "cheap" version is the new version regardless of where you get it. Check to see if yours has plastic triggerguards.

This will help:

It says this about WalMart:

"10/22RR - This is a 20 inch "Rifle" model. WalMart sells a stainless 22" version we all call the "Wally World Special"; it can only be found at WalMart."

WalMart.com has this:

I bought one last night. It does have plastic triggerguards, but I can't see any difference from any of the other new 10/22's I have been looking at in other places.

The Ruger box says it is a Model K10/22-22 (I think the K means Stainless). It is not listed on the Ruger website:

Thanks for responding.

Yup, I have the plastic trigger guard.

Mine is not actually a 22'' Walmart model. It is the standard 20''.

I like the synthetic stock better than the wood. That is more important to me than having a metal trigger guard like on the older ones

You may find that the whole trigger group is in a plastic housing - I think that that is what Ruger has gone to. I'm not real sure since I haven't bought a NEW 10/22 since 1981 - all the others I bought were used. www.rimfirecentral.com should have more info regarding this, though.

Ross

You may find that the whole trigger group is in a plastic housing - I think that that is what Ruger has gone to. I'm not real sure since I haven't bought a NEW 10/22 since 1981 - all the others I bought were used. www.rimfirecentral.com should have more info regarding this, though.

Ross

NES, Glock Talk, AR15.com, M4Carbine.net, now- Rimfirecentral!

Well, I have a 10/22 now, so I might as well join that forum too! [smile]

I must say- even though the parts are plastic, is seems like it will hold up.

Using this at Appleseed to become a rifleman will be a great step to eventually owning an AR.

Walmart firearm are the same as those from any other place - firearm companies aren't going to lessen thier products just for WalMart - too much at stake s far as reputation and liability is involved. Gotta love the dealers that make these claims.
Yes there are some parts on the current 10/22's that are polymer. Big deal? Nobody seems to mind plastic cars. Nobody seems to find fault with all the polymer hanguns? Having found out on pretty good authr=ority that these polymer parts may actually hold up better than thier previous counterparts and that the trigger assemblies are acyually bale to be manufactured with more consistant tolernaces. ppl in general just have a difficult time accepting chnages so when one happens it's jujts simply HAS to be for the worst. :roll:

I've a new 10/22 from Dicks and it does indeed have a plastic triggerguard/housing. OTOH, it seems no less rugged then any of the 'plastic' pistols I've seen/shot/owned. We'll see how it stands up.

I bought a 10/22 from Dick's last spring right after the plastic versions started showing up. I got an older one they had in stock that's all metal. The pink one I got for my wife at Bass Pro has the plastic.

Convenience won over preference. I wanted the Wally World 22" Rifle, but bought the 20" Carbine at Dick's today, and most of the parts to turn it into an LTR arrived from Midway today as well.

Not true. There's a specific 10/22 model that's a Walmart exclusive.

Yes there is, however they use the same reciever, bbls, etc as the standard cataloged models. The models contracted by Walmart as simply non-cataloged variations. It's done by them, and about every sizeable distributor as well as other retailers. Heck, if you've got the funds to back the run, you can contract a non-cataloged run yourself through a dealer or distributor.
Now if you're referring to the black laminate models that were for a while only avaialble from WM, these wre available from other sources after that contract expired with WM.

Walmart..the white trash circus you don't need to buy a ticket for. :)

Not true. There's a specific 10/22 model that's a Walmart exclusive.

Yes there is, however they use the same reciever, bbls, etc as the standard cataloged models. The models contracted by Walmart as simply non-cataloged variations. It's done by them, and about every sizeable distributor as well as other retailers. Heck, if you've got the funds to back the run, you can contract a non-cataloged run yourself through a dealer or distributor.
Now if you're referring to the black laminate models that were for a while only avaialble from WM, these wre available from other sources after that contract expired with WM.

Walmart..the white trash circus you don't need to buy a ticket for. :)

True, we have a Bass Pro model as well. It's a 20" barrel instead of Ruger's 18.5" barrel. And it's got fiber sights. We get it in every Christmas...it's also got a different stock. I picked up one just so I could use the receiver for a build.

Call the Sporting Goods @ Concord NH WalMart (or any other one that carries guns) and ask about the WalMart Number 004803375. They can tell you the price and whether or not they have it in stock.

For reference, the one I posted above was $238.12

Thanks. I'll do that. I'm a MA resident and I wonder if they'll sell to me. I know the laws but they may have some stupid store policy.

Im about go buy a 10/22 myself so thanks for all the info. I have found the standard model is abuot $199 everywhere i called. Walmart was $197 according to the concord store

Thanks. I'll do that. I'm a MA resident and I wonder if they'll sell to me. I know the laws but they may have some stupid store policy.

They sold me one, and I'm a Ma resident. However, their policy is to make sure you have a Ma license. Once I showed them that, I was good to go.

Back
Top Bottom