• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walls of Steel 2012

For those who've shot the match before, how bad is the traffic Friday AM coming down 495 from Westford/Chelmsford/Lowell? Is it better to take 290 to 146 or 495 to 85-16-122?

What's the ballpark finish time for the afternoon session?

Thanks

For those who've shot the match before, how bad is the traffic Friday AM coming down 495 from Westford/Chelmsford/Lowell? Is it better to take 290 to 146 or 495 to 85-16-122?

Thanks

Jar,

If it were me I would take 290. Others probably know better than I but in my experience I've found 290 to be better.

As far as wrapping up Friday PM I would say around 4:30.

The more help from the squad resetting targets and picking brass etc... the better. Obviously.

Jim

I can't wait! Sunday can't come soon enough. I went to the range tonight for a little practice and to make sure my silly amount of new magazines function properly. To anybody who has shot this before: any tips for someone shooting this event for the first time?

I can't wait! Sunday can't come soon enough. I went to the range tonight for a little practice and to make sure my silly amount of new magazines function properly. To anybody who has shot this before: any tips for someone shooting this event for the first time?

Bring lots of ammo. If you think you got enough then bring more! You can always bring it home if you don't use it. For a first timer I would bring 300 minimum.

Dave

To anybody who has shot this before: any tips for someone shooting this event for the first time?

I would only offer two pieces of advice.

First: Don't forget to use your front site. After all is said and done this is probably where most shooters go astray. They see big targets and think " Look at the size of those! This is going to be easy!" Then you find it isn't so easy when you're pulling the trigger faster than the bullets can miss the targets. Very humbling.

Second: Probably most important of all. HAVE FUN!

Jim

I would only offer two pieces of advice.

First: Don't forget to use your front site. After all is said and done this is probably where most shooters go astray. They see big targets and think " Look at the size of those! This is going to be easy!" Then you find it isn't so easy when you're pulling the trigger faster than the bullets can miss the targets. Very humbling.

Jim - hope you got the form I just sent in Monday.

Question on magazines: From the descriptions I'm reading, it looks like I could be using up to 4 & 5 mags per stage (stock 1911, 8 round mags). Is there like a barrel or something next to the shooting position (like in Steel Challenge), or do I need to be shoving them all in holsters (and pockets!)?

Not Jim but I would bring more mags than that [wink]

Table starts from low ready and spare reloading devices can be arranged on the table as you like them. Remember, with no misses a stage will eat up 4-8 round mags.

Edit to add: See #8

Walls of Steel Rules

ANY UNSAFE GUN HANDLING WILL RESULT IN A MATCH DISQUALIFICATION. ANY SHOTS STRIKING THE TABLE OR ANY ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE WHILE IN THE ACT OF RELOADING WILL RESULT IN AN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION!
1. ALL SHOOTERS MUST CHECK IN AT LEAST 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO THE SHOOTERS MEETING FOR EACH REGISTERED SLOT. Even if you shot an earlier slot.

2. SHOOTERS MUST ATTEND MANDATORY SHOOTERS MEETING 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO EACH STARTING TIME.

3. All weapons will be bagged or holstered until the Range Officer tells you to handle your weapon. Actions will be closed and hammers will be dropped before bagging or holstering weapons!

4. No more than 10 rounds in gun to start and no more than 10 rounds in a magazine at any time.

5. Start with gun in hand, muzzle touching table OR draw from a holster. Shooters choice.

6. ALL safeties must be ON for single action pistols. Hammers down, safety off, finger OUT of trigger guard on double action pistols.

7. At start signal, begin shooting, continue to shoot, reloading as necessary until ALL targets are down. Time will end on last shot fired.

8. Reload from belt or table. Shooter’s option.

9. ANY ammo, magazine, moon clip, etc. that falls to the ground is DEAD and cannot be picked up during the run by the shooter or any squad member.

10. Please come prepared with enough magazine/speed loaders to complete the ENTIRE stage without reloading mags, or having someone else reloading mags, during the run.

11. ALL targets are knockdown and must fall. Any target left standing will incur a 5-second penalty.

12. NO RESHOOTS and NO ALIBIS after the first shot is fired on a stage.

13. NO RE-ENTRIES in the same division.

14. There will be designated gun handling areas. No ammo is allowed in these areas. Any handling of guns outside of these designated areas will result in disqualification.

ANY UNSAFE GUN HANDLING WILL RESULT IN A MATCH DISQUALIFICATION. ANY SHOTS STRIKING THE TABLE OR ANY ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE WHILE IN THE ACT OF RELOADING WILL RESULT IN AN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION!

Last edited:
Not Jim but I would bring more mags than that [wink]

Table starts from low ready and spare reloading devices can be arranged on the table as you like them. Remember, with no misses a stage will eat up 4-8 round mags.

Unfortunately, 5 is all I have (other than the two S&W mags that don't seem to feed properly in a REAL Colt 1911). Might shoot it with my Officer's ACP; I've got 5 or 6 mags for that, plus I can stuff in the 8 round full size mags if needed.

Unfortunately, 5 is all I have (other than the two S&W mags that don't seem to feed properly in a REAL Colt 1911). Might shoot it with my Officer's ACP; I've got 5 or 6 mags for that, plus I can stuff in the 8 round full size mags if needed.

Wish I had some I could let you take. I don't shoot 45 anymore.

Thanks
290 to 146, easiest way to get there from Chelmsford, (my home town btw[grin])
Never have had a problem in the morning or afternoon,
but there's a first time for everything [smile]

Yes Ross, you REALLY want to have a handful of 10-round magazines for this. Mag changes eat up time.

Jim, Same side matches as last year? scope/iron .22 pistol, and pump/auto shotgun? If so I'm definitely going to have to bring the double stroller.

Lets see, four pistols, two shotguns, 300 rounds of .45, 300 rounds of .38Super, box of 12ga, a box of .22, magazines for all of them, water, snacks, have I forgotten anything?

Oh yeah, that's right Gary. My brass rod and a hammer just in case........... [laugh]

I was able to break away from work Tuesday and lent a hand on setup.
I saw 4 of the stages were all ready. and the other 2 were real close.
If you have never shot a big falling plate match before by all means you should try to swing by.
I believe Guns and Gear will have a booth and I'm also setting up (Moon Clips R Us) .

I was able to break away from work Tuesday and lent a hand on setup.
I saw 4 of the stages were all ready. and the other 2 were real close.
If you have never shot a big falling plate match before by all means you should try to swing by.
I believe Guns and Gear will have a booth and I'm also setting up (Moon Clips R Us) .

I am looking forward to meeting you

Gary

I don't know when your shooting but I have a few Chip McCormick power mags that hold 10. I'm going to be shooting Friday so if you get stuck I'll will bring them with me.

dwarven, If you are shooting Saturday morning and still looking for spare 1911 mags I got you covered. I have 10 mags you may use, all 8 rounders. I'm running a 9mm so I wont be needed them at that time.

Good luck to everyone shooting tomorrow. I have to wait until Saturday for my chance at the steel, but I'll be thinking of you guys all day. Keep us posted on the match and post some pics of the stages, or better yet videos.

-Cuz.

dwarven, If you are shooting Saturday morning and still looking for spare 1911 mags I got you covered. I have 10 mags you may use, all 8 rounders. I'm running a 9mm so I wont be needed them at that time.

I am shooting on Saturday morning, so I think I'll take you up on that - thank you; very generous of you!

Got to go message Jar and let him know I don't have to drag him off his way home tomorrow!

Good luck to everyone shooting tomorrow. I have to wait until Saturday for my chance at the steel, but I'll be thinking of you guys all day. Keep us posted on the match and post some pics of the stages, or better yet videos.

-Cuz.
Got the camera batteries charged. Will try to remember to take videos of the stages.

I am shooting on Saturday morning, so I think I'll take you up on that - thank you; very generous of you!

Got to go message Jar and let him know I don't have to drag him off his way home tomorrow!

You are welcome. I'll look for you Saturday morning

-Cuz.

Hey Cuz Better bring a lot of ammo, LOTS OF AMMO!!! Stage 1 targets are awfully small and they dodge the bullets. Think last years stage 4 but smaller and stage 4 is still there also.

Back
Top Bottom