• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Walls of Steel" 2009

A big thanks to Jim, Bobby and Mr. Kelly our RO and all the great
folks at Wallum for putting on this match.
This had to be the toughest one yet with the heat and the small
targets (dang I gotta learn to aim !!)
Sorry I bolted quick Sat. afternoon without saying thanks as I had
to find some cool AC and rest a bit.
Again thanks, much appreciated and look forward to next year.

Damn, Michael, nice job. I saw the scores, you shot a 1.99 on the side match with a pump gun. That was smokin' fast. And those 3 plates were pretty darn small. I think they had bigger ones last year...

-Cuz.

Ummm, I HOPE they got it written down correctly. I shot the third string in 1.94, not 1.99.

Do you know if anyone bested it Saturday or today?

I just wish my pistol shooting was as good. I'll post a link to the videos as soon as they are done uploading.

Here they are. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=25230261354377CD

Last edited:
Michael,
The sheet I saw had you at 1.99 for the side match. Either way, nobody beat you as far as I know. Thanks for the videos, looks like you guys had a great squad. What gun did you shoot in Stock Auto? It looks like a Glock, but I don't know with all the problems you seemed to have...

-Cuz.

Ummm, I HOPE they got it written down correctly. I shot the third string in 1.94, not 1.99.

Do you know if anyone bested it Saturday or today?

I just wish my pistol shooting was as good. I'll post a link to the videos as soon as they are done uploading.

Here they are. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=25230261354377CD

It is official. There is a foul smell coming from Wallum today.

Bob

I thought that was from those green boolits that 10mmdave was shooting! [rofl]

Awesome time at the match. Jim and crew certainly know how to treat their shooters. Driving our equipment bags from the front stages to the back stages was sweet. For a minute there I almost felt like we were playing golf! [laugh] It obvious I have not shot open in a long time. I burned my open gun with my limited gun (althought the open pistol suffered a malfunction on 4 of 6 stages). On the other two the malfunction was behind the trigger! [rofl]

Had two great squads who did some excellent shooting and had some good laughs. Special thanks to jkelly (respectfully) for going above and beyond. He stayed an extra 1.5 to 2 hrs in the heat to run the squad through the stages a second time after he was already "off duty" and free to go home.

BTW, PMD had some smoking runs with the auto shotgun. If I remember correctly his best was 1.05 or something like that. [shocked] After seeing that I should have been smart not even taken mine out of the bag! I would have saved 20 bucks! [laugh]

Naaa, it is just fun to let it rip with the big boom sticks. I couldn't resisit.

Last edited:
Michael,
The sheet I saw had you at 1.99 for the side match. Either way, nobody beat you as far as I know. Thanks for the videos, looks like you guys had a great squad. What gun did you shoot in Stock Auto? It looks like a Glock, but I don't know with all the problems you seemed to have...

-Cuz.

Thanks Larry. I was running the G-21 in Stock division but it suffered the same fate as "Baby" did last match. Bad ammo! [sad]

I got a box of 5K Winchester 230 grain round-nose 45's about a year back.
What I didn't realize is that not all 230 grain round-nose 45's are created equal. See picture provided.

two-45s.jpg

The shape of the new bullets caused them to be seated more deeply than the Zero's I have been running for years. This is what has been causing my feeding problems.

I still had a great time. Thanks to all of the staff and especially John Kelly for his help as an RO.
When can we expect to see results?

Last edited:
As always great fun to shoot at Wallum Lake. I don't believe Jim and his staff can be thanked enough for the work they put in to running a great match. Always a great time with some of the best sportsmen I have ever met in this sport. Just waiting for the results so I can laugh at myself.

Dave

Nah,

It was me that stunk it up. After 3 stages of WTHell is up with this, I remembered that I changed out the springs in my gun. DUH !!!

By then I was nowhere to be found.

Good day, and shoot anyways,
Bob

Thanks Larry. I was running the G-21 in Stock division but it suffered the same fate as "Baby" did last match. Bad ammo!

Michael,
Not even a Glock can completely compensate for bad ammo. Although you didn't have nearly as many problems as with "baby".

If you have a video of your shotgun run please post it. I'd like to watch that.

-Cuz.

Nah,

It was me that stunk it up. After 3 stages of WTHell is up with this, I remembered that I changed out the springs in my gun. DUH !!!

Bob

I had my first fun with squibs after 2 years of successful reloading. I had my 1st 2nd and 3rd experience all in one day. Now I need a squib rod and powder check die.

I had my first fun with squibs after 2 years of successful reloading. I had my 1st 2nd and 3rd experience all in one day. Now I need a squib rod and powder check die.

And to think a couple people laughed at me on Friday because I had a small ball pein hammer and a brass rod in my pocket while shooting the first squad with my revolver!

Nah,

Bob

Hmmmmm - I have a really nice gun that might help you - I can always let you borrow it if you want[rolleyes]

Tom,

Check the walls of steel site again under results. Your computer may be saving a cached page so when you get there try hitting the refresh button. There is a link to an excel spread sheet.

Tom,

Check the walls of steel site again under results. Your computer may be saving a cached page so when you get there try hitting the refresh button. There is a link to an excel spread sheet.

NOTHING ???...ARE YOU ABLE TO COPY AND SND THE RESULTS TO ME EMAIL ?...I WILL PM YOU WITH MY EMAIL

Scores are in.

Yup, had to hit refresh. The spreadsheet is there.

Thanks again for a fun match guys. I now know how much I need to improve before next year's match. [wink]

Ouch, now I can see exactly what my meltdown on stage 2 cost me. Some day I will learn to keep it together for a whole match...

I'd still like to get still pics of the six stages if anyone has them. It was a fun match, can't wait until next year.

-Cuz.

Back
Top Bottom