Wallhanger: Mass Arms Co.

Did you ever go to the gun store and lament that you can't afford anything today? Not even that Mosin Nagant for $129? Well, I was in that spot today at Pete's in Adams when I took a relook at that venerable rusted clunker that I've noticed on the past few visits.

My son the Boy Scout was with me. He had just bought an MSR Pocket Rocket camp stove from Dick's, and he convinced me that I shouldn't leave Pete's empty handed, no matter how dire the finances.

So I figured this single shot 12 gauge for 15 dollars would look nice hanging on the wall. Even "as is", it's purty from a distance, but I'd like to get it cleaned up a bit.

This is a Mass Arms Company gun, one of the old "gun Valley" manufacturers, made in Chicopee Falls.

sg4.jpg

sg2.jpg

sg1.jpg

SG3.jpg

A couple of issues I need help with. The first is: I cant get the stock off the receiver. I've removed all the screws I can find. The barrel is off, hammer is out, but the trigger is still in, as well as the lever that allows the barrel to tip forward (top snap?). What else to I need to do for complete disassembly? Looks like theres a pin above the trigger. Does that have to be knocked out? Doesn't look like it should be needed for stock removal.

Next issue: I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement for the missing forestock. Any way that one might be fabricated? I don't know what the original might have looked like, and can't find much info on this piece.

Next issue: The stock is beat. There have been several repairs and the (an) owner's initials are carved into it. Best way to strip and refinish? I don't want to bring it back to new. In fact, I wan't the old character marks to remain. I just want to pretty it up a little.

Next issue: This is technically a functioning firearm (4472 and FA-10 required). I wan't to hang it on the wall, but don't want to permanently mutilate it, nor put on a trigger lock. Will removing the firing pin make me Mass legal?

Last edited:
Can't help with your questions but I thought this was interesting:

The Massachusetts Arms Company, of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts was a manufacturer of firearms and firearm-related products from about 1849 into the early 20th century.

The Massachusetts Arms Company was incorporated March 5, 1850 and was founded by Arthur Savage along with Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson, who later founded Smith and Wesson. It was an outgrowth of the Wesson Rifle Company.

Christian Sharps, who later founded the Sharps Rifle Company, transferred the manufacture of his first rifle to the company in 1849 or 1850.

The company also manufactured Wesson & Leavitt revolvers between 1850 and 1851.[1][2] These were said to be the first revolvers patented after Colt's.

In 1851, Samuel Colt filed and won a historic patent infringement lawsuit against the Massachusetts Arms Company. The company then limited its revolver production to relatively unpopular designs by Edward Maynard until 1857, when Colt's patent expired.

Maynard patented his revolutionary breechloading rifle in 1851. It was actually manufactured by Massachusetts Arms, which had been using Maynard's system under contract for several years. In 1855 they produced 2,000 Greene Carbines, a Maynard system firearm, for a British government contract. These carbines were used in the Crimean War.

Maynard's rifle was operated by a lever which when depressed raised the barrel to open the breech for loading. A brass cartridge, also developed by Maynard, was then inserted and the lever raised to close the breech. Once cocked the loaded rifle could then be primed by either placing a percussion cap directly on its nipple or by using Maynard's patented priming system to advance a primer to the nipple.

Also in 1857 the company received a contract to manufacture Adams revolvers under license for the U.S. government. Some 500 or so were produced and used in the U.S. Civil War.

The company also produced single- and double-barrel shotguns, including both box-locks and external central hammers. Later it manufactured a selection of 20- and 28-bore Maynard-action shotguns of 1865 and 1873 patterns.

With civil war looming some Southern states purchased Maynard rifles from the company for their state militias. Of close to 3000 sales, most were to Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi. The First Model Maynard was designated an official Confederate firearm.

The factory burned down in January 1861, halting production until the factory was rebuilt in 1863. The company then received an order for 20,000 of the simpler Second Model Maynard carbines. Deliveries of these guns began in June 1864 continuing through May 1865. As the war was then coming to an end few saw service. Some, however, are known to have been used by the 9th and 11th Indiana Cavalry and the 11th Tennessee Cavalry regiments.

In the late 19th century the company began producing revolvers on various Smith & Wesson patterns.

Production continued until the factory closed permanently during the Great Depression.

The Massachusetts Arms Company is also the trade name used by J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company for firearms produced for sale at the Blish, Mizet and Silliman Hardware Company of Atchinson, Kansas.

That's more information than I was able to find on Mass Arms Co., Pilgrim.

Well, I got the stock separated from the receiver. Gosh, there are a lot of little parts in there!

I thought my latest basket case was bad! It's a Springfield Model 5.

attachment.php

For stock refinishing, I usually sand the old finish off. I feel chemical strippers seep into the wood and make blotchy finishes. Then I wet the stock with plain water. That is what it will look like with a Tung Oil finish. If it's not dark enough I'll stain them and then Tung Oil them.

Nice find Gringo. I love old guns, especially ones made around here.

Unfortunately, in MA I don't think there is a way to make a functional firearm a wall hanger without somehow locking it. I'm sure someone with more legal savvy then myself will chime in, but I believe the storage laws still apply even if you remove parts to make it non-functional.

Next issue: This is technically a functioning firearm (4472 and FA-10 required). I want to hang it on the wall, but don't want to permanently mutilate it, nor put on a trigger lock. Will removing the firing pin make me Mass legal?
No. Removing the firing pin is not enough. You could always tack weld a plug in the chamber.

The law requires a lock, not an effective lock.

For instance I have an old display rack not unlike the one shown below. Technically it locks. You could probably find something similar that is more secure than the one I have. (No, it isn't in use for it's intended purpose).

s7_616121_imageset_01

Are you sure it was post-1898 manufacture? If it's an antique you can hang it anywhere you want - it's a "non-firearm."

Actually, I don't know. But I think they made the inexpensive shotguns mostly post-1900. I'm thinking that this piece dates to the 1910s or later. But who knows?

And out here ... who cares? I'm hanging it.

I'm a little concerned about cleaning up that stock, but I'm hopeful that most of the boo-boos will buff right out. [wink]

That's an interesting story about Mass Arms..I wonder if all the wingnuts in this state realize just how important Mass was in the firearms business a while ago.Hell,I didn't until I read Pilgrims post..LOL

Mass needs to get back to it's roots.

I'm a little concerned about cleaning up that stock, but I'm hopeful that most of the boo-boos will buff right out. [wink]

Each boo-boo on that stock has a story and is part of that gun's history.

That's an interesting story about Mass Arms..I wonder if all the wingnuts in this state realize just how important Mass was in the firearms business a while ago.Hell,I didn't until I read Pilgrims post..LOL

Mass needs to get back to it's roots.
You're talking about wingnuts. If they knew the history they'd have a rally on Boston Common celebrating the demise of every defunct Massachusetts firearm manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom