• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wall safe question

glockstar

NES Member
Ok so im looking into buying a wall safe for the house. I want it to lay flush with the wall so that it can be covered with a picture or whatever. Not looking to spend a fortune maybe 300.00 or less. Dosent have to be huge either just enough to hold some cash, handgun, and maybe some paper work. Does anyone here know of a safe that fits all this for the price mentioned? Maybe a few ideas of what others have found that works.

Thanks, G.S

There are a lot of them out there.
Check out here for ideas:
http://www.buyasafe.com/Wall-Safes-s/8.htm

The two in the lower right are carried by a local store near me. I'm not concerned about security too much. Its mainly to keep me from looking down the wrong end of a gun and to keep it away from kids. This is on my short list.
They make with an electronic pad and also a biometric scan, which is supposedly faster.

Looking at that page you can also see a very high quality amsec safe. Remember, a safe is only as secure as the wall its screwed into.
Any wall safe retrofitted into wood studs can be pried loose in 1 to 2 minutes and just taken to be opened later.

Here's a link to the one I'm probably going to get. (my kids are approaching the age where guns must be locked at all times, not just hidden up high)

http://www.buyasafe.com/Wall-Safes-p/sl-20710.htm

Don

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is only ~3.5" of wall space between both sides of a studded wall, so the safes aren't very deep, especially if they use more than "tin can steel" for the front and back walls. So you can't store very much in them.

You should look at one or two in person before deciding to go that route.

I bought the Stack On safe from Walmart online and was delivered for about $80. I know its not the highest quality, but if its hidden well, no one will know its there. I used kitchen drawer sliders and attached it the wall above and below the safe and the other sides of the slides to the back of a wooden frame of a painting. You simply move the picture frame over to reveal the safe. Works assume, can't tell that its not a normal everyday painting and costs about $100! Several people stare at the painting and give compliments, but never knew what was behind it!

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is only ~3.5" of wall space between both sides of a studded wall, so the safes aren't very deep, especially if they use more than "tin can steel" for the front and back walls. So you can't store very much in them.

You should look at one or two in person before deciding to go that route.

If its an outside wall and the house was built in the last 30 years, there is 6" of space. 5.5" studs+ 1/2" sheetrock.

I bought the Stack On safe from Walmart online and was delivered for about $80. I know its not the highest quality, but if its hidden well, no one will know its there. I used kitchen drawer sliders and attached it the wall above and below the safe and the other sides of the slides to the back of a wooden frame of a painting. You simply move the picture frame over to reveal the safe. Works assume, can't tell that its not a normal everyday painting and costs about $100! Several people stare at the painting and give compliments, but never knew what was behind it!

Mallard, your link didn't work. I saw it in the HTML of your quote, but it doesn't show. So for the rest, here's his link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-Strong-Box-Wall-Safe-With-Electronic-Lock/11071343
I think thats a great idea. It doesn't make sense to buy a big dollar, highly secure wall save, since its easy to just take the whole safe. Even the Amsec with the 3/4" steel door only weighs 85 lbs.

A wall safe is to prevent a burgler from using the gun against you or to prevent a kid from getting at it. It will not prevent theft if the burglar has even a moderate desire for whats inside.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom