1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Walking is faster than USPS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CrackPot, Sep 12, 2018.

1. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

So I ordered a $5 electronic item and it was shipped USPS first class by the supplier. Here is a summary of how the trip my package went on

9/4: Shipped from Quakertown PA
    9/4: arrive Philadelphia PA distribution center
    9/5: depart Philadelphia
    9/6: arrive Atlanta GA <== WTF?
    9/7: depart Atlanta GA
    9/8: arrive Atlanta GA <== 2nd time is a charm? still WTF?
    9/8: depart Atlanta GA
    9/8: arrive Atlanta GA <== 3rd time
    9/8: depart Atlanta GA <== not sure we really know how to get out of Atlanta yet
    9/8: arrive Lithonia GA <== town of ~1200 people.
    9/9: arrive Atlanta GA <== never left Lithonia but we are back in Atlanta for the 4th time
    9/9: depart Atlanta GA <== what makes you think leaving the 4th time will work
    9/10: arrive Lithonia GA <== 2nd time visiting a small town. Maybe they have a good BBQ place
    9/12: arrive Shrewsbury MA <== no, we dont know what happened the last 2 days
    9/12: depart Shrewsbury MA
    9/12: arrive at my post office

To summarize, going from PA to MA we made a detour to GA. We visited Atlanta at least 4 times and Lithonia GA at least twice. We ate some good BBQ. We then arrived in my town 8 days after we were shipped. Google maps says you can walk from Quakerstown to my town in 93 hours or just under 4 days.

2. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

I once mailed something to NE iirc, and according to the tracking at least, it went to Honolulu HI and then back.

3. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

You should try ordering cigars online. You see some wild trips from overseas shipments!

kalash likes this.
  4. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

I will never use the USPS for any shipping. They are terrible and don't stand up to their promises

5. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

You should come visit me in Georgia; then you'll understand. Your package was just RELUCTANT to leave Georgia and go to Massachusetts. Who can blame it?

connor, dingbat, wegman and 2 others like this.
  6. Penniepup1

Penniepup1 NES Member

I’m still waiting for my 40th birthday card from my mother, that was 8 years ago. We live in the same city.

connor and dingbat like this.
  7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I ordered some supplies from Harry's Razor late last week. Maybe Thursday. Their default option is FREE shipping.

OK, They're in CT, I'm in MA. Free will take, what? - 3 days tops?

9. Nine days from shipping to arrival. Because they use some a-hole "we'a canna shippa for'a a'cheep'a" company that is really just packaging everything in big bins for USPS.

So my razors and shaving cream went from Whateversville, CT to Long Island (Long Island??? Isn't that across the sound?? So they sent it by boat?) to Queens for processing. It started processing on Sunday. Still in sort. USPS is STILL waiting for the package.

I complained to Harry's. I got a terrible answer. I could have bought everything I needed at Target. Chose to give them the extra profits by buying direct. THEY defaulted to ship-hole transport co, not me.

Totally shocked at this point. Sitting 3 days in a warehouse. And Harry's can't care less. ????

8. Sparky123

Sparky123 NES Member

Walking ? Don't you mean crawling ?

9. clampett

clampett NES Member

We don't have a mailbox at our NH property. We have no problem receiving packages from UPS, FedX and the white Amazon vans, but if someone tries to ship us something using USPS, we will always get an "undeliverable" message when tracking the package.
    It is plane to see. The USPS absolutely sucks when compared to private shipping companies.

10. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

I had a previous experience where my package "disappeared" and never showed up again on tracking. I talked to my local PO and learned something important.

Big volume shippers will deliver multiple packages destined for the same geographic area in large overpacks. They supply all the individual tracking numbers of what is inside. The USPS just tracks the single large package and whenever they scan the large package, all the little packages are updated. When they finally open up the overpack at some distribution center, they then individually scan all the little packages.

On my previous experience, when they opened it up, my smaller package was not there (or so they claim). So it "disappeared"

I suspect a lot of the tracking entries for my package above are the overpack. For whatever reason the seller packaged everything for GA likely based on the predominance of what was inside.

You can get the level of detail, actual package vs over pack only from inside the USPS system. My local PO was able to distinguish that level of detail when I asked for help.

dingbat likes this.
  11. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

USPS FLAT RATE PRIORITY MAIL BOXES(up to 70lbs) are the best deal in the shipping business. Nobody does it cheaper or faster.....nobody.

quincy likes this.
  12. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

I shipped a book USPS Pririty Mail from Granby MA to Malden (IIRC) MA. It made it there the next day. My son shipped a USPS "If It Fits It Ships" from Granby to Ames IA this past Friday. It was there on Monday.

Maybe it's because I talk nice to the PostMistress. [wink]

dingbat and quincy like this.
  13. clampett

clampett NES Member

What good is a flat rate priority mail box when they refuse to deliver it to your property?

14. Steve Marshall

Steve Marshall

I ship about 1,000 Flat Rate packages a year. I receive about 500. All through USPS. In 3 years 2 packages that I sent did the "Tour of the Midwest". In that same time I got one customer complaint due to a vehicle running over the damn thing, so needless to say the brass was missing. My auctions end on Saturday evening. By Wednesday I start receiving Money Orders. Waah, Waah, Waah.

15. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

So is sleeping.

Any of you guys remember buying something from an old comic book and having to wait 8-12 weeks for it? I do...

[​IMG]

dingbat likes this.
  16. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

17. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

I ordered something online Sept 2nd, $5 shipping, they shipped USPS. I have been tracking it for nine days. Post office says label has been printed but they are still waiting for it to be dropped off by the sender. It arrived yesterday (Sept. 11th). Status online at post office just got updated today. I understand somewhat if they get a truckload dumped on them from a large carrier but this transaction only involved two parties, the sender and the snail circus.

AHM likes this.
  18. FPrice

What you experienced is pretty common, and NOT the PO's fault. Many large shippers will print up shipping labels as soon as they receive an order but not ship it out for up to a week while they get the necessary items together, package them, and then get the PO to pick them up. Usually the first two. Aydin Coins and Olight have both done this to me.

19. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

wish I could go to Hawaii for 49 cents.

Bear, enbloc and headednorth like this.
  20. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

So your cheap $5 electronic with free shipping took a week. The horror!

dingbat likes this.
  21. Choctaw

That makes sense. But they did receive it at the post office in New Mexico at some point and never really acknowledged it before it arrived in Ma.

It was actually two knives for which I paid $5 shipping. It wasn't the length of the trip. I fully expected a week or two. It was the total lack of updates until the item had already arrived. I know we are spoiled, instant gratification. I was just commenting how the post office compares to other carriers.

22. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

This thread isn’t all about you. I was commenting on you know, the OP, and the basis for which this thread exists. ;)

Choctaw likes this.
  23. FPrice

It has been my experience that it usually takes the PO up to 24 hours (or overnight at least) to put the tracking number in the system once they get the item. They are not perfect but they have been reliable for me.

24. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

That was because they wouldn't order the product until you paid. Plus there was a week or better for payment to clear. Worst was things like "send in 3 proof-of-purchase from Frosted Choco-Yo's and we'll give you this stupid Cracker-Jack prize. . . in 8-12 weeks."

LOL. I recall reading that one.

enbloc likes this.
  25. Choctaw

^^ Sorry! Gosh that was like 4 hours ago! :)

26. enbloc

Wishes are like a$$holes... they both stink. Take me with you?

greencobra likes this.
  27. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

only if you promise to stop using those giant, bold letters in your posts. you're always yelling at us. [angry2][laugh]
    grouch!

enbloc likes this.
  28. enbloc

Lol. That's just a little "Cut & Paste" magic from the Tread Title. I'll try to tone it down...
    ~Matt

greencobra likes this.
  29. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Especially when shipping bullets.

There is a reason it is called US Snail.

30. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Yes, bullets, brass and heavy machine parts.