Wal-Mart bonehead

Titan

Banned
My wife did the customary 'ammo check' at Wal-Mart last night.

She was only able to snag some CCI Mini-Mags. They happened to be 36grain plated hollow points.

When she was going through check out at the front of the store (too late for sporting goods to be manned), the clerk indignantly questioned her with...

"Those are hollow points, you know. You're not going to use those to rob a bank are you?"

Mrs Titan appropriately lit into her for her attitude, but she was awful lucky I wasn't there.

+1 to your wife for letting that moron have it. I'd have gone a bit further and asked her boss if it's store policy to question all shoppers if they plan to use purchased products for illegal activities. Do they ask anyone buying household cleaners or fertilizer if they're gonna make a bomb with the stuff? F'ng jerk.

I would have nicely explained to the cashier what the bullets are being used for because yelling at her would just make her think gun owners are a-holes, and maybe she'd learn something if I nicely explained to her they're for target shooting, etc.

Then I'd go rip the manager a new a-hole!

And, if the cashier was hot, I'd ask her if she'd like to join me on the range sometime! [wink]

There seems to be a common thread around here about Wally-world and its employees.

Makes me happy that I go to a gunshop to get most of my ammo.

There seems to be a common thread around here about Wally-world and its employees.

I have never had a bad experience at WM beyond waiting for the guy to come. But then again I try to get up to NH to buy my ammo...

I would LOVE to make my ammo purchases at a gunshop instead of supporting these super-companies, but unfortunately, I need to feed me and mine. The gunshops near me just can't compete with WM's prices. [sad]

i was buying some .45 and 9mm the other day (maybe 350 rds total) and the conversation went something like this:

clerk: "you sure are buying a lot, what are you hunting with this?"
me: "nothing. these are pistol calibers."
clerk: "oh, so you'll be hunting pedestrians then? hurr hurr."
me: "no. the people in the state house say i can't hang those 'trophies' above my fireplace."

after i'd mentioned the price and availability of ammo he told me about the places he could go and get "two or three" guns and how i could just sell the ammo to someone and turn a profit. i told him to just stop talking to me unless he wanted to discuss all what he just said with the police.

total W-T-F. blew my mind.

after i'd mentioned the price and availability of ammo he told me about the places he could go and get "two or three" guns and how i could just sell the ammo to someone and turn a profit. i told him to just stop talking to me unless he wanted to discuss all what he just said with the police.

total W-T-F. blew my mind.

It's amazing what comes out of some peoples mouths. I was at a friends party a few weeks ago and ended up talking guns and AR15s in particular to a couple of the guys there, when one of them tells me "You know, I could get you a select fire AR..." I told him I would forget what he just said and that he shouldn't ever mention that to anyone else ever again.

I knew the guy for 5 minutes! I must seem really trustworthy.

That you are surprised that a minimum wage employee in a minimum skill needed position at Walmart was uninformed is odd. [wink] Can't expect the best and brightest at Wallyworld.

My wife did the customary 'ammo check' at Wal-Mart last night.

She was only able to snag some CCI Mini-Mags. They happened to be 36grain plated hollow points.

When she was going through check out at the front of the store (too late for sporting goods to be manned), the clerk indignantly questioned her with...

"Those are hollow points, you know. You're not going to use those to rob a bank are you?"

Mrs Titan appropriately lit into her for her attitude, but she was awful lucky I wasn't there.

"No, you see in .22lr, 36 grain weight, these are MUCH too light to consider robbing a bank with. I'm planning on using these to shoot small, cute, furry woodland creatures in the head and splatter their brains about the forest."

BINGO!! support those who are actually supporting your hobby. People are obviously free to shop wherever they want, but I'll only buy from gunshops in this state. in northern NH where you can find 'em next to the beer in a convenience store I might pick them up on the way out (would have if there'd been any .45 ammo).

I would've said "I don't need to rob a bank, I have a REAL job that I've applied myself to get, I'm not a cashier" *

* This doesn't reflect my actual views, it's just what I'd use for a response.

Oh man, thats genius! "I don't need to rob a bank, numbnutz, I'm not a high school drop out working as a WalMart cashier!"

That you are surprised that a minimum wage employee in a minimum skill needed position at Walmart was uninformed is odd. [wink] Can't expect the best and brightest at Wallyworld.

I hear you, but I expect some minimal training for anyone dealing with the public.

If cashiers can constrain themselves enough to not ask how I'm going to use condoms, birth control, or any number of other things I might buy, I expect them to keep their politics out of my ammo purchases also.

simple tell the manager you will sue them for defamation , tell them to either fire that worker or face a lawsuit , why does walmart hire idiots when there are better people suited for that job out there.

While I have run in to some of these brainiacs at Wal-Mart, I would like to stick up for them on the ammo question. The cash registers ask questions that have to be answred before they continue. I believe that it asks if it's either rifle or pistol or hand gun ammo - not sure on that, but... There are people out there who don't know anything about guns, and all they do know is that they have to ask these questions in order for the sale to continue, so, lighten up.

There is ignorance out there, but not everyone is stupid.

While I have run in to some of these brainiacs at Wal-Mart, I would like to stick up for them on the ammo question. The cash registers ask questions that have to be answred before they continue. I believe that it asks if it's either rifle or pistol or hand gun ammo - not sure on that, but... There are people out there who don't know anything about guns, and all they do know is that they have to ask these questions in order for the sale to continue, so, lighten up.

There is ignorance out there, but not everyone is stupid.

+1, you could at LEAST explain to them what you can do with each ammo, so you can be mad at them next time...

The cash registers ask questions that have to be answred before they continue. I believe that it asks if it's either rifle or pistol or hand gun ammo - not sure on that, but...

The moment their cash register prompts them to inquire whether I intend to break the law is the moment my brain prompts me to inquire as to where else I can buy ammo. [grin]

The moment their cash register prompts them to inquire whether I intend to break the law is the moment my brain prompts me to inquire as to where else I can buy ammo. [grin]

+1 to your wife for letting that moron have it. I'd have gone a bit further and asked her boss if it's store policy to question all shoppers if they plan to use purchased products for illegal activities. Do they ask anyone buying household cleaners or fertilizer if they're gonna make a bomb with the stuff? F'ng jerk.

Don't you think you might have gotten further if you had a conversation with the clerk and given her some education rather making yourself and gun owners sound like a bunch of jackasses? I mean come on, telling off the WM clerk isn't going to do squat but annoy a sheep, you want to maybe do something, talk to the manager or call corporate. Please don't make all us gun owners look like deusche nozzles because you have to get on your high horse because the non gun educated WM clerk doesn't know the answer to the registers questions or is attempting to make small talk because they are afraid of guns (probably due to lack of education) and what ELSE guns can be used for other than robbing banks (since remember, thats all the hear about guns for on the news - cops n' robbers).

I'm not talking about breaking the law and the ignorant "you gonna rob a bank" comment - I was refering to the Pistol or rifle question - Dear. [smile]

I was at Hudson NH recently and got 6 box of Mini Mags. The lady asked will these be used for Pistol or Rifle...

I said YES.

She demanded I give her a proper response... kinda gave me some 'tude.....

So I said Ok this box is for pistol, that box is for rifle that box is pistol etc,,,, mmm THEN I changed my mined....No make it rifle, no darnnit I need 235 rounds for Pistol and whats the math on that for 600... etc...

Needless to say I took a few extra minutes she finally "figured it out" and just started pressing buttons.

I was refering to the Pistol or rifle question - Dear. [smile]

I hear many stories but i have never had any problem buying ammo at walmart. No one has every said anything out of the ordinary. I just go in, do my thing and im out.

I've been asked by the WM geniuses when buying .22 ammo, "is that for a pistol or rifle?"

Just look at them and say, "all depends what I load it into."

Brilliant.

When asked the "Pistol or Rifle Question" at Walmar, answer "machine gun" and watch the reaction.

Don't you think you might have gotten further if you had a conversation with the clerk and given her some education rather making yourself and gun owners sound like a bunch of jackasses?

So, you would have just politely said to the clerk, "Why no, I don't intend to rob a bank with these hollow points, I just plan to put them into my defensive sidearm and use them as a very effective means of dispatching a bad guy should my life be in immediate danger." You think that would have calmed her nerves?

I mean come on, telling off the WM clerk isn't going to do squat but annoy a sheep, you want to maybe do something, talk to the manager or call corporate. Please don't make all us gun owners look like deusche nozzles because you have to get on your high horse because the non gun educated WM clerk doesn't know the answer to the registers questions or is attempting to make small talk because they are afraid of guns (probably due to lack of education) and what ELSE guns can be used for other than robbing banks (since remember, thats all the hear about guns for on the news - cops n' robbers).

I seriously doubt that one of the questions the register prompted that brain dead employee to ask had anything to do with bank robbery. I can also think of a few other topics, such as the weather, for small talk. If they're not mature enough to use discretion and have respect for a customer's privacy, they don't have any business working in that capacity with the public.

I'm reminded of another Walmart story about a week ago here on NES where an employee, after seeing someone's LTC, loudly said something like "don't mess with this one, he's got a gun". You think reasoning with an idiot like that and explaining in the 15 seconds you have there how 2A works is going to be an epiphany for them? I'm fairly sure that a statement like that said at the wrong time and in the wrong company might result in the LTC holder getting a visit by the local PD. I'd rather they just said "Hello" "Your total is X" "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart" and stay the eff out of my business.

I got fed up with Walmart Not having the ammo I was looking for.
Their crappy policies ,the clueless pox faced teen behind the register all high & mighty with a $8.75 hourly wage.
I prefer spending $2-$3 more to support my local gun shop.I avoid the cluster f**k that is WW & They always have what I need.
You can get advise/small talk from a full time professional and support a local small business.
I'll admit I'm a CHEAP guy,but I find plenty of ways to save a couple extra bucks to avoid WM's ammo headache.

Last edited:
I've been asked by the WM geniuses when buying .22 ammo, "is that for a pistol or rifle?"

I think that question has to do with the ID shown. If you answer 'pistol' and show them an FID. I don't think they'll sell it to you.

I have heard of people not being sold 9mm on an FID. Walmart only sees this as a pistol round.

Fortunately, out my way, I never get second looks or stupid questions when buying ammo.

So, you would have just politely said to the clerk, "Why no, I don't intend to rob a bank with these hollow points, I just plan to put them into my defensive sidearm and use them as a very effective means of dispatching a bad guy should my life be in immediate danger." You think that would have calmed her nerves?

I seriously doubt that one of the questions the register prompted that brain dead employee to ask had anything to do with bank robbery. I can also think of a few other topics, such as the weather, for small talk. If they're not mature enough to use discretion and have respect for a customer's privacy, they don't have any business working in that capacity with the public.

I'm reminded of another Walmart story about a week ago here on NES where an employee, after seeing someone's LTC, loudly said something like "don't mess with this one, he's got a gun". You think reasoning with an idiot like that and explaining in the 15 seconds you have there how 2A works is going to be an epiphany for them? I'm fairly sure that a statement like that said at the wrong time and in the wrong company might result in the LTC holder getting a visit by the local PD. I'd rather they just said "Hello" "Your total is X" "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart" and stay the eff out of my business.

If it was me checking out I probably would have asked her why she though I was going to rob a bank with the ammo I was purchasing? When she didnt have a good answer, I'd politely tell her theyre for target shooting. Im sure you remember the time before you were a gun owner - gun "stuff" was curious to you, as the general non ltc holding public is completely unfamiliar with ammo, etc, and honestly, I'd go stare at the guns and stuff at Sports Authority when I was little, im sure the awe with the stuff is similar if you're a clerk at WM and someones buying ammo... As I said in my first post, I'm going to give the clerk the benefit of the doubt and I think the clerk was trying to make idle conversation and just said the wrong thing, and had she *thought* about what she was saying, it would have been different, but then again, she wouldn't be working at Walmart as a clerk. This is separate from the people bitching about WM workers asking for replies for the questions they get from the register. Some just dont know squat about guns.

The clerk that yelled "this guys got a gun watch out" - separate issue - and for her to yell something like that is uncalled for. But thats different from cashiers questioning you based on the script from the register or a clerk trying, but failing, in making civil conversation. I dont think that having a 2A convo with her is going to do squat, but I was not implying it would for "this type" of clerk. Shes the one that you should tell "hey, thats private info, why are you yelling about it." IMO thats very different than bitching out a clerk because they don't know anything about guns...

Back
Top Bottom