• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wal-mart ammo nearly 50% off.

May not have been a shop but just a flipper or someone who saw a good deal....
Or someone who shoots a lot. When I was young , single and every minute and $ where mine a range trip was usually 5-7 different cals with 200 rounds through each was easy
If that was 9mm at 10c round thats only 10k rounds . Thats just a few weeks practice for some or someone who never has to worry about 9mm for a life time.?

Go for it.
Support your local laying down next to a Dick’s grabbing anti gun loving store to save a couple of bucks.
If money is that tight you’re doing something wrong.

How’s that?
I think alot of people are doing it wrong- not by choice . Out side government or union contracted jobs lots of peoples pay have not kept up with cost of living increases . The way i see it walmart is not making money they are just selling off the contract ed ammo , So Win,Fed,Remingron can get paid?
Dig deep enough into these companies and theres plenty of reasons t o boycot almost all of them.

A buddy of mine snagged the Winchester 44 mag for $17 at his local Walmart. Even better. That’s getting close to what it costs me to reload 44 mag with a 240 gr JSP....

Hey that was me! 🤣 Also snagged 1K of .223 and 600 rounds of 9mm... "I needed the brass."

As another member mentioned, you either get the deal or someone else will. At the cost that these are going out, Walmart can't be making a significant amount of money on them, I'm okay with screwing them by only buying a loss-leader.

Walmart is def losing money on this. Their margin is not the ~50% off they are offering no way

Interesting I may have to check that out today while I’m out and about.
Thanks for the heads up

I know a lot of people on here will not shop at Walmart and I understand. But for those looking for cheap ammo. Nearly all types of ammo will be 40-50% nationwide.

9mm .09 cpr
223 as low as .12 cpr

GOOD LUCK

I hit Danvers today to see what the fuss was about. Wouldn't normally shop Wallyworld but an inventory dump isn't exactly supporting their business. Any other day I'd shop Targetsports. Report:
  • Only handgun ammo and .223/5.56 was on sale. All other rifle and shotgun ammo was regular priced.
  • All 9mm was utterly gone
  • All visible* brass .223 ball was gone. Tiny bit of steel .223 and hunting .223 left
  • Very little .38, .357, .44, or .40S&W (which really surprised me because the guns are giveaways and people keep saying it's a dead caliber)
  • Tons of .380 and .45ACP--if you want a scare-proof caliber right now I'd say look into these
  • Some .32ACP
  • A couple guys showed up while I was there saying they'd heard about the clearance
  • The Walmart employees were actually very responsive and patient for once
*I found a case of Federal brass .223 misfiled behind the shotshells. Bought that for .17/rd, as well as .380, .38, .44, and .40 for basically half price.

I was just browsing that brickseek site and they have Federal 44 mag 240 gr 50 round boxes for $19. That's the cheapest 44 mag ammo I've ever seen. And 17 cents for 38 spl? Not bad for the non-reloader.

Federal .44 was $17/box for me EDIT: Nope, read my receipt wrong--it's $19. Still bought the last box they had.

Last edited:
True. A WM manager once told me that their margin was 35% on ammo.

Did you ask him what kind of crack he was smoking? [rofl]

I realize there are margins on everything in retail, but I figured 30 or 35 points on ammo was nonexistent. Especially at the deep-discount level.

ETA: Wouldn't surprise if it was, say something like 35% on a box of 30-30, but that's something they typically sold for a rapey price anyways. I'd be very
surprised if it was that much on bulk.

-Mike

Walmart getting out of this class of ammo is a good thing imho as it will end up with local shops getting more support.

Yes and no. It depends on who buys out the production capacity. If all those shitty mid level distributors do it, anyone who doesn't stockpile is going to get
raped (more) the next time there's a demand spike on the ammo market.

Mids upon hearing WalMart is basically exiting the bulk ammo business:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiUj_pzCiAQ

The Mids that service most small dealers,, pretty much rape the shit out of smaller FFLs. You can tell when an FFL is buying an ammo from a mid because you take 10-20% off of it and it's still stupidly overpriced. The signs are pretty obvious, when dealers would clean out Wal Mart to buy ammo... that their mids were going full royphnol cosby on them.

The one useful thing that WalMart did was act as a slight "truth table" vs the rapey practices of mids on ammunition. Walmarts prices didn't fluctuate that much even
under duress. I suspect this is because their profit margin was always "cost + X%" where X really was a static value most of the time.

On the other hand... If the big buyers groups do it, then the consumer (generally) wins because those people are more likely to sell ammo to consumers at reasonable prices, because they're buying factory direct. No middlemen to f*** with the market and rape. Think volume leaders on ammo, larger gun shops like SO, 619DW, or ammo brokers like target sports, etc. Those guys don't buy their ammo from shitty mids, or at least they don't buy 85% of it from those a**h***s.

-Mike

I hit Danvers today to see what the fuss was about. Wouldn't normally shop Wallyworld but an inventory dump isn't exactly supporting their business. Any other day I'd shop Targetsports. Report:
  • Only handgun ammo and .223/5.56 was on sale. All other rifle and shotgun ammo was regular priced.
  • All 9mm was utterly gone
  • All visible* brass .223 ball was gone. Tiny bit of steel .223 and hunting .223 left
  • Very little .38, .357, .44, or .40S&W (which really surprised me because the guns are giveaways and people keep saying it's a dead caliber)
  • Tons of .380 and .45ACP--if you want a scare-proof caliber right now I'd say look into these
  • Some .32ACP
  • A couple guys showed up while I was there saying they'd heard about the clearance
  • The Walmart employees were actually very responsive and patient for once
*I found a case of Federal brass .223 misfiled behind the shotshells. Bought that for .17/rd, as well as .380, .38, .44, and .40 for basically half price.

Federal .44 was $17/box for me
Great score! How many rounds were in the case of .223?

Great score! How many rounds were in the case of .223?

500 rounds to the case. Here're the prices I worked out from my receipt:

17.5 cents brass .223
14 cents brass .380
35-45 cents defensive .380
18 cents brass .38 lead
13 cents aluminum .40
15 cents brass .40
22 cents brass .40 JHP
38 cents brass .44
17 cents brass .45

They had a ton more .45, including a bunch of 200-round boxes of aluminum case for $30. I don't shoot .45 so that's all yours.

17.5 cents brass .223
14 cents brass .380
18 cents brass .38 lead
13 cents aluminum .40
15 cents brass .40
22 cents brass .40 JHP
38 cents brass .44
17 cents brass .45
Wow, good looking out there! Don't know if I've ever seen cases of .223 at WM before. Nice.

Hudson, NH is pretty well stocked. Even the ammo they said they were going to stop selling...
Don't buy ammo there, but I do use their pharmacy.

Wow. 2 days later and 2/3rds of glass case is gone...

Fark Walmart.

17.5 cents brass .223
14 cents brass .380
18 cents brass .38 lead
13 cents aluminum .40
15 cents brass .40
22 cents brass .40 JHP
38 cents brass .44
17 cents brass .45

They had a ton more .45, including a bunch of 200-round boxes of aluminum case for $30. I don't shoot .45 so that's all yours.

I rarely go into a WM, but figured I'd try today and overheard a Fairhaven WM employee say someone had purchased nearly $
I rarely go into a WM, but figured I'd try today and overheard a Fairhaven WM employee say someone had purchased nearly $

17.5 cents brass .223
14 cents brass .380
18 cents brass .38 lead
13 cents aluminum .40
15 cents brass .40
22 cents brass .40 JHP
38 cents brass .44
17 cents brass .45

i bought boxes of 200 brass .223 for $25 .13cpr

Fug it, I don't feel bad about buying WM's ammo at a price they lose money on it. Bought 1275 rnds of 223/556 in Manchester today, the Federal 100 Value packs were $15. At 15 cents a round, they are losing money. The clerk said a few gun shop owners were in earlier....good for them, they can make a buck in the deal.

Yes and no. It depends on who buys out the production capacity. If all those shitty mid level distributors do it, anyone who doesn't stockpile is going to get
raped (more) the next time there's a demand spike on the ammo market.

Mids upon hearing WalMart is basically exiting the bulk ammo business:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiUj_pzCiAQ

The Mids that service most small dealers,, pretty much rape the shit out of smaller FFLs. You can tell when an FFL is buying an ammo from a mid because you take 10-20% off of it and it's still stupidly overpriced. The signs are pretty obvious, when dealers would clean out Wal Mart to buy ammo... that their mids were going full royphnol cosby on them.

The one useful thing that WalMart did was act as a slight "truth table" vs the rapey practices of mids on ammunition. Walmarts prices didn't fluctuate that much even
under duress. I suspect this is because their profit margin was always "cost + X%" where X really was a static value most of the time.

On the other hand... If the big buyers groups do it, then the consumer (generally) wins because those people are more likely to sell ammo to consumers at reasonable prices, because they're buying factory direct. No middlemen to f*** with the market and rape. Think volume leaders on ammo, larger gun shops like SO, 619DW, or ammo brokers like target sports, etc. Those guys don't buy their ammo from shitty mids, or at least they don't buy 85% of it from those a**h***s.

-Mike

Dude... Why haven't I seen this video in my late night drunken youtube travels?

Amazing.

I checked the link. *If* my local walmart had it in stock, it'd be $9/100. Crazy low prices for WWB 9mm.

Probably a dozen or more boxes left on the shelf in Gardner this afternoon, I didn't ask if they had more in the back.

Just went to raynham. Picked 1000 rounds of 556 for $150. 10 boxes of 300 blk 220 grain for $7.00 each. 200 round box of 45 ACP for $30. Also picked some 308 and 6.5 CM hunting ammo, just good to have, about $0.80/round probably not sale pricing but i was there.

I am more than happy to have WalMart subsidize my ammo costs because they are ass munching communists now. I find it very ironic.

I'm calling it's gonna be like the $300 WASRs and a week from now the classifieds are going to be overflowing with $1-under-retail new ammo.
Yup, but according to a lot of folks here it's "the free market" and fine for individuals here to do. Wait for your LGS to do the exact same thing in a crunch and the pitchforks come out with screams of gouging.

We Ma. gun owners get exactly what we deserve, if the lions share of us are so eager to f*** one another over why shouldn't retail outlets and the antis?*

*Not looking for an answer, I already know it'll turn into a hurr durr free market chest thumping justification fest from the gougers.

I hit mine yesterday before work to see what was still available and I got there right when the lady at the counter was putting new price stickers on everything [shocked]

The good news I think I can deliver is .22 ammo is not going away and I say that because if it's not getting discounted, Walmart is going to continue selling it. I mean, it's probably the ammo Walmart sells the most of anyway. My hope is that with all the inventory they're selling, they replace the ammo case with a larger variety of .22 ammo. I'm pretty tired of only having like 4 different loads of CCI and whatever bulk Remington/Federal/Winchester .22 is there.

So while I was there I was surprised everything except .357 and .44 Magnum was available. I was hoping to get some .357, but IIRC the only stuff Walmart had for .357 was the Winchester 110 grain stuff that flame cuts the top strap of revolvers, so no big loss. What I really needed was .380 and I got a couple boxes of that, but it sucks that it's not the same price as 9mm. $30 for 200 rds; that's still a good price and was even better than the Federal .380 Black Friday ammo.

I didn't need it, but at the prices they're selling for I grabbed 800 rds of 9mm. When the steel case stuff is less than 8 cents/round, you'd be crazy not to buy it.

What I wanted to see was how low unpopular calibers were going for and sadly .32 ACP even at discount the price is still higher than what I can get it for on the internet. .25 was hella cheap at $11 a box. I don't shoot .25 much, but at $11 I would shoot it more.

My foucs was to get the stuff I knew was going to disappear, so 9mm and .380 were mostly it. I don't really need any more .40, .45 ACP I rarely shoot, and I'm well stocked with rifle ammo. I will probably go back in the next week or two and see what's still on the shelves and how much lower the price will be.

I figure Walmart is looking to get as much back as the can and will lower prices on stuff that isn't selling. It beats just giving it all away for free to whoever.

Back
Top Bottom