• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waiting Time for LTC ?

Sorry to keep bringing back an old thread but I had to gripe somewhere !!!

Applied: 11/12/07 (Called 9/27/07 to schedule the Earliest Appt.)
Check Cashed: 12/11/07

Still waiting... its been 7 weeks 2 days since I applied.

I was told it will take 8 weeks and I would just receive it by regular mail, so I will call the CHSB on Jan 7th, when it has been 8 weeks then my local Police Dept...

[sad2]

FWIW here is an e mail I received back from GOAL today:

Ray:
thanks for writing to us with your story. May we share it with the Governor? It's illustrative of the many problems with the licensing system.

The fingerprint check is done by the state police. We generally do not hear complaints about their turn around time. If your license was delayed by the "fingerprint check", it means that the check was not sent off in a timely fashion, at the time you applied. Or it means that the electronic request was lost in the vast internet somewhere...

GOAL STAFF

Nancy Snow, Chief of Staff

Sorry to keep bringing back an old thread but I had to gripe somewhere !!!

Applied: 11/12/07 (Called 9/27/07 to schedule the Earliest Appt.)
Check Cashed: 12/11/07

Still waiting... its been 7 weeks 2 days since I applied.
Why don't you gripe here: www.goal.org.

As has been mentioned before, GOAL wants to hear these stories so that they can work on getting this sort of thing rectified.

And if you're not a GOAL member, why aren't you?

Why don't you gripe here: www.goal.org.

As has been mentioned before, GOAL wants to hear these stories so that they can work on getting this sort of thing rectified.

And if you're not a GOAL member, why aren't you?

I am a GOAL member, and I have in fact let Nancy know of my situation.

Frankly they seem more interested in "Renewal" Delays and have told me there is not much they or I can do...

EXCELLENT.

As for anything that can be done... About the only other thing I can think of is that it's been mentioned here before that writing or calling your state Rep or Senator to have THEM put pressure on sometimes helps. I'm not sure if that will get the local COP all pissed off at you or not, though... [thinking]

Other than that... I sympathize, but there's not much I can do other than that. Hope that makes you feel a little better, at least.
friday.gif

Folks - if you want to help end these delays, please contact the GOAL office with your story and timetable of your application problems. We will also need your contact info and your permission to act on your behalf. Then we can send a complaint to the GOV and get some action. Complaining here doesn't help your situation. Help GOAL help you.

Folks - if you want to help end these delays, please contact the GOAL office with your story and timetable of your application problems. We will also need your contact info and your permission to act on your behalf. Then we can send a complaint to the GOV and get some action. Complaining here doesn't help your situation. Help GOAL help you.

Does this apply for NEW permits or just renewals, because on the GOAL site refers to Renewal delays...

Where is the page for New Permit Delays.... perhaps I missed it or it was implied...

http://www.goal.org/news/renewaldelays.htm

Anything to do with the application process. We want to flood the Governor's office with complaints in hopes that someone at the state level will start to take accountability for this garbage of a system.

Anything to do with the application process. We want to flood the Governor's office with complaints in hopes that someone at the state level will start to take accountability for this garbage of a system.

Frankly they seem more interested in "Renewal" Delays and have told me there is not much they or I can do...
Straight from the Executive Director's mouth. Look, just because they can't speed up YOUR application doesn't mean that they're not interested or don't want to do anything - GOAL doesn't have any official status - think of them as MA's NRA. Only a LOT more responsive and with a LOT fewer fundraising letters. What they want is ammunition - that YOU, and every other person with licensing problems have to supply - so that they can TRY to get this miserable system changed.

Call CHSB first to see if you can ascertain when your app was submitted and the status of your license.

Then you'll have something to judge the APD's response by. [wink]
Not only can you call them, but I found them quick, efficient, and friendly! When I made the call, the guy on the other end was very sympathetic and helpful, and determined in under a minute where my LTC app was.

I just got off the phone with the CHSB and a lady told me I need to contact my Local Police office, not the CHSB to find the status of my permit. Does this make any sense? Is there someone specific or a specific extension I need to dial after I call the CHSB? Has the CHSB been scolded by some PD to not give out info!!! Did I reach the wrong extension? What gives? I called, hit 3 for the "Firearms support services" then 8 to talk to a Staff person. All I can think is a got an ill informed staff person Or I did not ask the right questions!

7 weeks, 3 days since applying....

Last edited:

First time LTC applicant here. I waited 5 months for the process to complete. Local dealer has been waiting 5 months on his renewal. I cannot fathom the reasoning (sic) behind these delays? Perhaps those apps utilizing the ink-based fingerprint capture system are getting left in the IN BOX longer those apps with digitally captured prints?

Last edited:
First time LTC applicant here. I waited 5 months for the process to complete. Local dealer has been waiting 5 months on his renewal. I cannot fathom the reasoning (sic) behind these delays? Perhaps those apps utilizing the ink-based fingerprint capture system are getting left in the IN BOX longer those apps with digitally captured prints?

Where you at in W. MA?

I just got off the phone with the CHSB and a lady told me I need to contact my Local Police office, not the CHSB to find the status of my permit. Does this make any sense? Is there someone specific or a specific extension I need to dial after I call the CHSB? Has the CHSB been scolded by some PD to not give out info!!! Did I reach the wrong extension? What gives? I called, hit 3 for the "Firearms support services" then 8 to talk to a Staff person. All I can think is a got an ill informed staff person Or I did not ask the right questions!

IF the PD has yet to submit your app, there is nothing for CHSB to process. CHSB should be able to tell you whether it's even received your app.

IF the PD has yet to submit your app, there is nothing for CHSB to process. CHSB should be able to tell you whether it's even received your app.

She would not tell me anything, did not want to even know my name... She said to call the PD and asked who told me to call the CHSB, I said, "no one, doesn't the CHSB work for me and the commonwealth!!!" silence on the other end... that was the end of that conversation....

So I drove home from work... opened my mail box, WHAT IS THIS!!!!

7 weeks 3 days, received my Neutered LTC Class A restricted to sporting.... I am joining NES momentarily!!! Thank you everyone!!!

Esp Scriv!!

Renewal update .... Appointment on 12/4 - Check cashed 12/21.
Hoping that is a sign of about 2-3 weeks more wait time.

I received my LTC-A no restrictions on 1/4/08.
One month to the date of my original appointment with the PD.
Overall for me it was a smooth process from start to finish.

She would not tell me anything, did not want to even know my name... She said to call the PD and asked who told me to call the CHSB, I said, "no one, doesn't the CHSB work for me and the commonwealth!!!" silence on the other end... that was the end of that conversation....

So I drove home from work... opened my mail box, WHAT IS THIS!!!!

7 weeks 3 days, received my Neutered LTC Class A restricted to sporting.... I am joining NES momentarily!!! Thank you everyone!!!

Esp Scriv!!

when I called the CHSB, they told me to confer with my police department. I told them that I was unsure as to what the Police Departments answer was and wanted a second opinion, and the guy spoke right up and told me the stage of the process the permit was at.

I suggest for people in future if the person on the phone at the CHSB isnt being helpful to tell them that you either got a vague answer from your PD or perhaps even tell them you felt like you were getting the runaround from your PD and wanted to double check.

Attleboro told me 4-6 weeks, and also told me to call if I didnt have it at the 6 week mark. I called at 6 weeks and 1 day, and they said it should be coming. I got my permit at the 9 week mark, which is actually ok by me considering one of the weeks was the holiday week and I sorta think that perhaps if it wasnt a holiday week, the clerk wouldve been around to call me sooner than 9 weeks. Either way, no hassle, no neutering of permit.

Attleboro = 9 weeks for me.

Just got my LTC-A Restrictions: None in Franklin today.

Applied the morning of Jan 2nd, and it came today Feb 5th. Day short of 5 weeks.

Its my first. As far as I can tell Franklin is as green as you can get. Overall very friendly, very easy process. As far as I am concerned Franklin should be the model for how LTC application and renewal should be in MA.

is that your first in Franklin? I was under the impression the first LTC-A in Franklin was restricted....

brought paperwork in the second to last week of october and recieved it today. the woman I spoke with in regardss to it was very nice. she was a straight shooter from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom