waiting period dicks sporting smithfield ri

Hello, I realize that i should not be shopping there, but they had the 10/22 take down in stock @ 40$ below msrp. They are the only one in my state that has this particular rifle in Stock.

I filled out my Normal paperwork. Then was given a second page for the smithfield police department. It was basically a mirror of the normal papers but i had to sign and date front and back, and put my name on top in front of a statement. I was told i then need it to be notarized before i can hand it in for my background check. So off to ups 7$ for notary. I went straight back to Dicks sporting to hand in my extra paperwork required for a background check.

I found the gentleman i had originally done the paperwork with because he also had to witness me sign a third portion and he also had to sign it. Since i was there same day with my notarized paperwork I asked him if i would be able to pick it up next Thursday (5-16)because that is a full 7 days wait. ( i did all of this wed 5/8 ) what he said seems odd and surprised me. He told me that the federal law is a seven day wait but because they are so busy i should receive a call in 10-14 days to pick it up!

Next question i asked the gentleman was if i have my ccw permit may i use that to bypass my waiting period. He told me this question has come up in the past, but his manager said that is not legal. He went on to say it is different for law enforcement.

My question to all of you is, does this seem correct? I feel the manager may be giving false information to the " lodge" department. Thank you for any help.

There is no federal 7 day wait. I have never heard of getting anything notarized. A retail store managers' word on the law should not be taken as accurate.

The application must be notarized, but usually the gunshop takes care of that. The 7 day waiting period is per the state and you are only exempt if you have a town CCW issued. AG's permits still require the 7 day waiting period.

We have a full 7 day wait. Day of purchase does not count. So closer to 8 day wait. But can they make me wait longer than the law states?

If they are closed on the 8th day, then they can make you wait longer. Of if they wait a day or two to send in your paperwork, then I believe they have to make you wait longer.

You're dealing with Dicks. They call it Dicks for a reason, its full of them. A bag of dicks. Now stop complaining and do the right thing by buying it online, shipping it to an LGS and paying the transfer fee if you can't find it in-state. Stop encouraging Dicks to remain in business by buying things from them.

The application must be notarized, but usually the gunshop takes care of that. The 7 day waiting period is per the state and you are only exempt if you have a town CCW issued. AG's permits still require the 7 day waiting period.

100% accurate info here.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, what Swamp Yankee said... Dicks should be avoided like a plague.

This too lol

Here's what I said a year ago at CRAL:

I had the same problem with that Dicks years ago for an 870. NICS check was fine, it took the local police 2 weeks to approve the sale. Seriously, WTF? The local police need to grant me permission?
They (Smithfield PD) outright told me gun sales weren't a priority to them and to let me know it wasn't just me, they told me there was a stack of them sitting around.

When I bought the gun and had this extra form given to me I asked what the heck it was. I'd never heard of needing to get approval from the local police before.

Dicks sporting goods is not allowed to have any of my money they refuse to sell evil rifles but I can by all the 556 and 762x39 I want eh?

Nope support 2a or don't half assery pisses me off. Yeah yeah free enterprise they can sell what they want and I can choose to by elsewhere

Thought the day of purchase did count if it was before noon.

11-47-35.2

[h=1]TITLE 11
Criminal Offenses[/h][h=2]CHAPTER 11-47
Weapons[/h][h=3]SECTION 11-47-35.2[/h]
§ 11-47-35.2 Sale of rifles/shotguns. – (a) No person shall deliver a rifle or shotgun to a purchaser until seven (7) days shall have elapsed from twelve o'clock (12:00) noon of the day following the day of application for the purchase, and when delivered, the rifle or shotgun shall be unloaded and securely wrapped, with the bill of sale for it to be enclosed within the wrapper with the rifle or shotgun. Any citizen of the United States and/or lawful resident of this state who is eighteen (18) years of age or older, and any non-resident member of the armed forces of the United States who is stationed in this state and who is eighteen (18) years of age or older, may, upon application, purchase or acquire a rifle or shotgun. At the time of applying for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle the purchaser shall complete and sign in triplicate and deliver to the seller the application form described in this section, and in no case shall it contain the serial number of the rifle or shotgun.
(Face of application form)
Application to Purchase Shotgun or Rifle
Date Hour A.M. P.M.
Name
Address
(Street and number) (City or town) (State)
Date of Birth Place of Birth
Height Weight Color hair
Color eyes
Scars
Tattoos
Other identifying marks
Are you a citizen of the United States
Are you a citizen of Rhode Island
How long
Where stationed
(Armed Forces only)
Have you ever been convicted of a crime of violence
(See § 11-47-2 General Laws of Rhode Island)
Have you ever been adjudicated or under confinement as addicted to a controlled substance
Have you ever been adjudicated or under confinement for alcoholism
Have you ever been confined or treated for mental illness
From whom is shotgun or rifle being purchased
Seller's address
Seller's signature
Applicant's signature
(See § 11-47-23 for penalty for false information on this application)
(Reverse side of application form)
AFFIDAVIT: I certify that I have read and am familiar with the provisions of §§ 11-47-1 – 11-47-59, inclusive, of the general laws of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, and that I am aware of the penalties for violation of the provisions of the cited sections.
Signed
County of
State of Rhode Island
Subscribed and sworn before me this. . . . day of. . . . A.D. 20. . .
Notary Public

(b) The person who is selling the rifle or shotgun shall, on the date of application, sign and forward by registered mail or by delivery in person, the original and duplicate copies of the application to the superintendent of the Rhode Island state police or the chief of police in the city or town in which the seller has his or her residence or place of business. The superintendent of the Rhode Island state police or the chief of police in the city or town in which the person has his or her residence or place of business shall mark or stamp the original copy of the application form with the date and time of receipt and return it by the most expeditious means to the seller. The triplicate copy duly signed by the seller shall within seven (7) days be sent by him or her by registered mail to the attorney general. The person shall retain the original copy duly receipted by the police authority to whom sent or delivered for a period of six (6) years with other records of the sale. It shall be the duty of the police authority to whom the duplicate copy of the application form is sent or delivered to make a background check of the applicant to ascertain whether he or she falls under the provisions of § 11-47-5, 11-47-6, 11-47-7, or 11-47-23. If, after the lapse of seven (7) days from twelve o'clock (12:00) noon of the day following application, no disqualifying information has been received from the investigating police authority by the person who is selling the rifle or shotgun, he or she will deliver the firearm applied for to the applicant. Upon the finding of no disqualifying information under the provisions of the above cited sections of this chapter, and in no case later than thirty (30) days after the date of application, the duplicate and triplicate copies of the application will be destroyed. Retention of the duplicate and triplicate copies in violation of this chapter or any unauthorized use of the information contained in them by a person or agency shall be punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000). The provisions of this section shall not apply to bona fide sales at wholesale to duly licensed retail dealers, nor to purchases by retail dealers duly licensed under the provisions of § 11-47-39.
(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to full-time members of the state police, full-time members of city or town police departments, persons licensed under §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-11, or to sales of air rifles or " BB guns" or to sales of antique firearms as defined in § 11-47-2.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1990, ch. 37, § 1; P.L. 1990, ch. 300, § 1; P.L. 1996, ch. 146, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 128, § 1.)

Back
Top Bottom