• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waiting for my FID, purchased an ar15 upper, feeling real stupid now...

Hey thanks for the reply, its supposed to be a kind of clone of the precision m16 the military uses as a DMR, the upper with the muzzle brake was around $1230, the other stuff I got added to the total price I payed. And I can't return it because I tried to take my hand guard off without owning a vice, I took a hammer to it after I unscrewed everything I needed and tried to pull it off, but that failed. I just hammered it back on and it left a few dings on the edges of it, also I don't want to go through the hassle.

Do yourself a favor, and even if you do get a vice - do not just put your upper in it. There are vise blocks specifically made for this purpose that will let you secure the upper without damaging it. Without using a vise block, you stand a good chance of ruining it.

I looked at the pictures you posted - at least it's only cosmetic damage. But seriously, don't take that apart in that manner again. Repeated wailing on it with a hammer probably will knock it out of spec somewhere.

Holy crap. I'm usually the guy to support the newbies. but this single post is so full of fail that I couldn't resist. Cat hair nonwithstanding, if you found it necessary to beat a precision instrument with a hammer, I'm not sure there's much beneficial advice I could give you other than, "buy an AK, and don't shoot it." You literally became so frustrated with a machined part that you took a hammer to it? I'm at a loss for words. The fact that you didn't do your research about owning a complete rifle is your own doing.

Do yourself a favor, and even if you do get a vice - do not just put your upper in it. There are vise blocks specifically made for this purpose that will let you secure the upper without damaging it. Without using a vise block, you stand a good chance of ruining it.

I looked at the pictures you posted - at least it's only cosmetic damage. But seriously, don't take that apart in that manner again. Repeated wailing on it with a hammer probably will knock it out of spec somewhere.

I apologize for being a dick. Exodius said it much better here.

Yeah, looking at your pics, you are not going to sell that thing for anywhere near what you paid. Hang onto it until you can build it up. Once you have it to the range a few times, the dings won't seem so bad.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the OP, but looking at the pics was upsetting. Totally unnecessary. I'm still confused why a teen would spend $1,500 on their first AR upper... without even having a license in hand. Can this be attributed to affluenza?

What pics??

Never mind....

I see them...[shocked][shocked]

Hey thanks for the reply, its supposed to be a kind of clone of the precision m16 the military uses as a DMR, the upper with the muzzle brake was around $1230, the other stuff I got added to the total price I payed. And I can't return it because I tried to take my hand guard off without owning a vice, I took a hammer to it after I unscrewed everything I needed and tried to pull it off, but that failed. I just hammered it back on and it left a few dings on the edges of it, also I don't want to go through the hassle.

Looking at the pics, it's a freefloat handguard.

Normally one needs a barrel nut wrench to remove it (plus the vice blocks exodious mentioned).

Might even need a proprietary barrel nut wrench to remove it.

Looking at the pics, it's a freefloat handguard.

Normally one needs a barrel nut wrench to remove it (plus the vice blocks exodious mentioned).

Might even need a proprietary barrel nut wrench to remove it.

I have the exact same hand guard waiting to replace a stupid quad rail. You generally don't need a barrel nut wrench to remove free float uppers, and don't with this one.

They typically attach to a proprietary barrel nut and are unscrewed from the nut before the nut can be accessed.

I have the exact same hand guard waiting to replace a stupid quad rail. You generally don't need a barrel nut wrench to remove free float uppers, and don't with this one.

They typically attach to a proprietary barrel nut and are unscrewed from the nut before the nut can be accessed.

You're right.

I'm just overthinking things as usual. [thinking]

1. $1500 upper? [sad2]
2. Can't own AR? [sad2]
3. Beat the piss out of new $1500 upper? [sad2][sad2]

What the actual **** dude?

worf-facepalm.gif

The BCM KMR handguard is a slide on free float rail. The barrel nut is torqued on, the rail is then slid onto the barrel nut and then it is secured with two cross bolts. Unfortunately it can be a tight fit requiring the rail to be driven onto the barrel nut. It's easy to drive the rail on but it's much more difficult to drive it off since there's no good place to hit. The rail can't be twisted if it extends over the gas block. So straight on and straight off. If that helps.
Nice rail though. Well it was. A little touch up paint may help.

It still doesn't matter. An FFL outside your state of residence cannot legally transfer you a rifle or shotgun if it is not legal for you to possess the same in your state of residence.

One of those singe shot lowers or fixed mag lowers would be legal for him to own.....
He tells the 07 "I ****ed up big time, order me this lower and assemble it for me ".
Lower shows, he drops his parts off and the dealer makes him a non high cap semi auto .
Or with the single shot lower "auto ejecting bolt action lol ......

Why wouldn't that be legal for him own ?

I know some of you may seem a bit frustrated with the fact I used a hammer to get the rail off. Listen guys yea it was stupid, but I didn't put much thought into ever selling it anyway, if anything I would try to sand off the blemishes and paint black over it. Also I didn't just start smashing it with the hammer, I put some thought in it and knew it'd be fine. A few marks won't render it inoperable. I figured it would be marked up a little, the rail can take a few hits, it isn't that bad. If I thought that BCM didn't make a tough rail along with the rest of the upper, I wouldn't have even bothered buying it. Im probably just going to keep it and get an SKS. I don't mind waiting for an arbitrary age that limits my rights. Besides I'm stuck with ten rounds anyway, might as well get an old surplus rifle. So again, stupid thing to do, but it's not a big deal, it's just a few marks and the damage could easily be mirrored if dropped hard enough, or something similar.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do with half a rifle? Should I just wait until I'm 21 and get the rest?

If you are eighteen this is what you do. Lock the upper for the rifle you are not allowed in a closet, and then go join the Marine Corps.

Suddenly, as if by magic, the people of Massachusetts will consider you responsible and old enough to possess belt-fed, fully automatic, weapons. Not only that but they well also consider you if necessary mature enough to bleed out into the dirt of some shit hole that in Afghanistan would laughingly be referred to as a city -- all in the name of the people of the commonwealth.

By the time your enlistment is up you should then be old enough to, again as if by magic, possess that scary black rifle -- but only just old enough!

Good luck, and good shooting when and wherever that might be. [wink]

I know some of you may seem a bit frustrated with the fact I used a hammer to get the rail off. Listen guys yea it was stupid, but I didn't put much thought into ever selling it anyway, if anything I would try to sand off the blemishes and paint black over it. Also I didn't just start smashing it with the hammer, I put some thought in it and knew it'd be fine. A few marks won't render it inoperable. I figured it would be marked up a little, the rail can take a few hits, it isn't that bad. If I thought that BCM didn't make a tough rail along with the rest of the upper, I wouldn't have even bothered buying it. Im probably just going to keep it and get an SKS. I don't mind waiting for an arbitrary age that limits my rights. Besides I'm stuck with ten rounds anyway, might as well get an old surplus rifle. So again, stupid thing to do, but it's not a big deal, it's just a few marks and the damage could easily be mirrored if dropped hard enough, or something similar.

Ok so now you beat it off and cleaned off the corrosion inhibitor BCM applies to prevent rust in storage.....only to have to place it in storage anyway.....you poor bastard[wink]

I do give you credit for at least having the balls to admit you done ****ed up.

Now do not take it apart again.
Go buy one of those gun socks that have the VCI impregnated in them.
Give the upper a good coat of some sort of rust inhibitor the CLP. Since its going to be in storage for some time you need to check it for rust every 6-8 months.
If the barrel is chrome lined not much to worry about there. If it's a standard chrome Molly barrel would suggest you buy some VCI paper and place a,long strip in the barrel along with a good coat of CLP.

Then by all means if your going to work on your own guns get the right tools.
A derlin punch would have been a good choice along with a soft face hammer.

Good luck.....in the mean time make friends with a AR owner and see if he will let you use one of his lowers to shoot at the range.
http://www.amazon.com/Browning-VCI-Gun-Sock-Piece/dp/B001XKDDPK

Don't take sandpaper to it or otherwise try to file stuff down. It'll only make it worse, plus you'll end up stripping off more of the protective coatings. On the rail, you could try alumiblack or similar. On the gas block, assuming it is steel, you could cold blue it - though be advised the it won't look the same as what I am assuming is a parkerizing or similar.

You won't be stuck with 10 rounds once you turn 21 and can apply for an LTC. In MA to be legal you'll just have to get pre-ban mags, of which tons are out there.

If you are eighteen this is what you do. Lock the upper for the rifle you are not allowed in a closet, and then go join the Marine Corps.

Suddenly, as if by magic, the people of Massachusetts will consider you responsible and old enough to possess belt-fed, fully automatic, weapons. Not only that but they well also consider you if necessary mature enough to bleed out into the dirt of some shit hole that in Afghanistan would laughingly be referred to as a city -- all in the name of the people of the commonwealth.

By the time your enlistment is up you should then be old enough to, again as if by magic, possess that scary black rifle -- but only just old enough!

Good luck, and good shooting when and wherever that might be. [wink]

Well i know you said the Marine Corps... Buuut ive opted for the Army already, im in high school still and im going to college if i can, after college im looking to get my commision as a 2nd Lieutenant, join the infantry. I figured if i joined the military the state would "magically" let me own it and all that lol.

Don't take sandpaper to it or otherwise try to file stuff down. It'll only make it worse, plus you'll end up stripping off more of the protective coatings. On the rail, you could try alumiblack or similar. On the gas block, assuming it is steel, you could cold blue it - though be advised the it won't look the same as what I am assuming is a parkerizing or similar.

You won't be stuck with 10 rounds once you turn 21 and can apply for an LTC. In MA to be legal you'll just have to get pre-ban mags, of which tons are out there.

I hadnt thought of that before with the sandpaper, thanks. I knew about the pre-ban mags ill need when im 21, i just dread having to like every one else does you know? Thanks for the advice too, you guys are all a big help.

just as an FYI---

whenever you have a question about doing something to a firearm or firearm component you now know there is a lot of knowledge on here and on other sites as well. So before you take a hammer to anything firearm related in the future you can always ask on here. You are sure to find someone with that specific experience who is more than willing to help. You can also go to the manufacturer's website or to youtube or just do a general search on the web. Something will come up and you can find the proper instructions on how to approach that specific task.

Ok so now you beat it off and cleaned off the corrosion inhibitor BCM applies to prevent rust in storage.....only to have to place it in storage anyway.....you poor bastard[wink]

I do give you credit for at least having the balls to admit you done ****ed up.

Now do not take it apart again.
Go buy one of those gun socks that have the VCI impregnated in them.
Give the upper a good coat of some sort of rust inhibitor the CLP. Since its going to be in storage for some time you need to check it for rust every 6-8 months.
If the barrel is chrome lined not much to worry about there. If it's a standard chrome Molly barrel would suggest you buy some VCI paper and place a,long strip in the barrel along with a good coat of CLP.

Then by all means if your going to work on your own guns get the right tools.
A derlin punch would have been a good choice along with a soft face hammer.

Good luck.....in the mean time make friends with a AR owner and see if he will let you use one of his lowers to shoot at the range.
http://www.amazon.com/Browning-VCI-Gun-Sock-Piece/dp/B001XKDDPK

Yea the damage is just zoomed in real close but its barely noticeable from a few feet away, very miniscule. What you suggest helps a lot, and sadly it isnt chrome lined so ill have to get that VCI paper. Ive been trying to see what kinds of tools people usually have, most of the time its a punch and soft face hammer, ill look into that, thanks for the help.

Disclaimer: I don't know jack about MA law.

Practically speaking (maybe illegal in your state - I Dont Know!). You could buy an 80% lower and complete your AR.

Disclaimer: I don't know jack about MA law.

Practically speaking (maybe illegal in your state - I Dont Know!). You could buy an 80% lower and complete your AR.

He would need to get an incomplete lower with the mag well still closed. Then he could finish everything else, use it as a bolt action single shot, and then after turning 21 mill out the mag well.

Yea the damage is just zoomed in real close but its barely noticeable from a few feet away, very miniscule. What you suggest helps a lot, and sadly it isnt chrome lined so ill have to get that VCI paper. Ive been trying to see what kinds of tools people usually have, most of the time its a punch and soft face hammer, ill look into that, thanks for the help.

you are all good, and so is your upper.

i've done the same things in my youth,

the lesson you have here is

patience is a virtue .

One of those singe shot lowers or fixed mag lowers would be legal for him to own.....
He tells the 07 "I ****ed up big time, order me this lower and assemble it for me ".
Lower shows, he drops his parts off and the dealer makes him a non high cap semi auto .
Or with the single shot lower "auto ejecting bolt action lol ......

Why wouldn't that be legal for him own ?

Oh, I didn't realize it was a fixed mag or single shot lower. Yeah, that would work.

Has there ever been a known case where someone mated their $1,500 upper with a modified lower to be used as bolt action single shot? And is it lawful to karate chop said owner in the throat?

Someone once said that John Hancock was a young man whose brains were shallow and pockets deep. I think this applies here. Shit, if I had $1500 to spend when I was below 21, I wouldn't have spent it on half of a gun. Probably would've tucked it away and saved it for a S&W Classic-line revolver since I really wanted a Model 29 or a Model 22, Model of 1917.

OP, in all seriousness, you won't get your money back so just wait until you can buy a real lower in the future. Or move to RI or NH or Maine or VT - it's not that hard to bounce around unless you choose to tie yourself to someone or somewhere.

just as an FYI---

whenever you have a question about doing something to a firearm or firearm component you now know there is a lot of knowledge on here and on other sites as well. So before you take a hammer to anything firearm related in the future you can always ask on here. You are sure to find someone with that specific experience who is more than willing to help. You can also go to the manufacturer's website or to youtube or just do a general search on the web. Something will come up and you can find the proper instructions on how to approach that specific task.

Ill keep that in mind, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom