• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waiting for my FID, purchased an ar15 upper, feeling real stupid now...

I'm sorry, I was working on the assumtion that you were 18 or over -- if not you should be discussing all of this with the parent or guardian that endorsed your FID application.

I'm out [rolleyes]

No no i am 18, i did all of the paperwork myself and signed for it all, my parents dont care for firearms much sadly.

Find a FFl a with a 07 hand him the upper and parts kit.
Believe it or not a FFl needs to have a 07 to assemble ar's.

Not quite.

If you buy parts, assemble them into a functional firearm, and then offer them for sale. Its manufacturing.

If someone hands you a box of the same parts and asks you to assemble them the same way, Its gunsmithing. (Still need an 01 FFL)

Not quite.

If you buy parts, assemble them into a functional firearm, and then offer them for sale. Its manufacturing.

If someone hands you a box of the same parts and asks you to assemble them the same way, Its gunsmithing. (Still need an 01 FFL)

Thanks for the correction.
Check your pm box in a few.

I'm uncertain on how the law works with lowers, so even though the OP can claim that it's for a non AW or not for a pistol build,
and even though it's not a firearm under MA law, he'd still probably still need an LTC to purchase it.

Lower is an "other" from a dealer so you have to be 21 for the NICS check to clear.

it is good that you are here to get advice. there are a shit ton of laws in MA, and they are by no means clearly written.

If you are planning on college, maybe check out a college in a free state, like Vermont. it will be easier for you to go hunting/shooting there. but the minute your car crosses back over the state line to MA, you have to be following the MA rules.

Don't take sandpaper to it or otherwise try to file stuff down. It'll only make it worse, plus you'll end up stripping off more of the protective coatings. On the rail, you could try alumiblack or similar. On the gas block, assuming it is steel, you could cold blue it - though be advised the it won't look the same as what I am assuming is a parkerizing or similar.

You won't be stuck with 10 rounds once you turn 21 and can apply for an LTC. In MA to be legal you'll just have to get pre-ban mags, of which tons are out there.

I hadnt thought of that before with the sandpaper, thanks. I knew about the pre-ban mags ill need when im 21, i just dread having to like every one else does you know? Thanks for the advice too, you guys are all a big help.

What he needs to do is take a small stone and knock off the high points that he has created, then try to dress the transitions so they aren't so obvious. Not a big deal, but done right its much better than as it sits.

Birchwood casey makes some aluminum blackening.

Don

80% and STFU about it.

Legal in SC, not legal in MA.

You have to register it when you build a functional firearm in MA.

And if you are looking to break the law, then just do a secondary transfer with no paperwork in a state that doesn't require one.

My point is just that in MA where the OP is from, doing an 80% lower gets neither the law abiding citizen, nor the law-breaking citizen anything. Unless you want to do an 80% lower for the satisfaction of making it.

Well, that is perfectly legal in most of the country. Just not MA.

Yeah, i'm in MA and so is the OP. If not, I'd say go for it. My son is 19, I have 80%ers in the safe and a mill in the garage lol. Still, he's lucky he can shoot all my stuff whenever he wants. I wish he wanted to more.

I feel bad for the OP, but looking at the pics was upsetting. Totally unnecessary. I'm still confused why a teen would spend $1,500 on their first AR upper... without even having a license in hand. Can this be attributed to affluenza?

1500 dollars is not a lot of money these day , in my early 20 1500 dollars is the average amount of money that i spend to build my gaming computer systems,cost add up fast. just put that upper away kid , buy an sks for 350 dollars and learn how to shoot with it, it a fun gun , will go boom every time .and save the rest of your money to spend on women and fast cars , they are more fun than gun .am 38 now and i still run around with my fid ,that get me an sks , shot gun ,308 bolt action and a pellet gun , that all one ever need.

VCMan - you seem to be suffering from Affluenza even more than the OP. It is sad to me that you were raised with so little regard for money that you consider $1500 to be nothing. $1500 is a mortgage payment to most people. Its 4 months of car payments to others. Its 50 hours of work to someone who makes $30/hr.

The OP's problem perfectly illustrates so many many things done wrong.

Has the OP ever even shot a rifle? a real one?

He would be far far better served by a 10/22, an M&P 15 Sport, $500 worth of ammo and a couple of appleseeds.
Kids these days are more worried about having tacticool hardware they used to play in some stupid video game than actually learning how to use something a bit more pedestrian.

Every new AR owner should start off with a basic rifle, if only so they can learn what their preferences are. An M&P Sport could be sold after a couple of years for about $100 less than new. It seems like an excellent investment in preventing the spending of beaucoup bucks on something that is sub-optimal.

VCMan - you seem to be suffering from Affluenza even more than the OP. It is sad to me that you were raised with so little regard for money that you consider $1500 to be nothing. $1500 is a mortgage payment to most people. Its 4 months of car payments to others. Its 50 hours of work to someone who makes $30/hr.

The OP's problem perfectly illustrates so many many things done wrong.

Has the OP ever even shot a rifle? a real one?

He would be far far better served by a 10/22, an M&P 15 Sport, $500 worth of ammo and a couple of appleseeds.
Kids these days are more worried about having tacticool hardware they used to play in some stupid video game than actually learning how to use something a bit more pedestrian.

Every new AR owner should start off with a basic rifle, if only so they can learn what their preferences are. An M&P Sport could be sold after a couple of years for about $100 less than new. It seems like an excellent investment in preventing the spending of beaucoup bucks on something that is sub-optimal.
This right here is great advice. Find out what you like with $500 then spend more. It's a lot cheaper to get the fundamentals down with 22lr than 223

This right here is great advice. Find out what you like with $500 then spend more. It's a lot cheaper to get the fundamentals down with 22lr than 223

When I was 18, I bought my first rifle and it was a M91/30 for $120. Cheap gun, cheap ammo and it was my first centerfire rifle. No complaints, I just grew out of it.

When I was 18, I bought my first rifle and it was a M91/30 for $120. Cheap gun, cheap ammo and it was my first centerfire rifle. No complaints, I just grew out of it.
It's too bad the Soviet ammo isn't so cheap anymore. My first rifle was an Sks for $150 when I was 16. Ammo was under 12 cents a round shipped

Would you suggest this to your own 18 year old son? I would not.

Yes I would. I happen to believe in the constitution as written, not as interpreted by MA. As for what you would or wouldn't do. That is your business. Live as you see fit.

You have to register it when you build a functional firearm in MA.

And if you are looking to break the law, then just do a secondary transfer with no paperwork in a state that doesn't require one.

My point is just that in MA where the OP is from, doing an 80% lower gets neither the law abiding citizen, nor the law-breaking citizen anything. Unless you want to do an 80% lower for the satisfaction of making it.

I'm all too well aware. I spent my first 38 yrs in fall river and was licensed to carry a hg before you had to be 21 to get one. Hence the STFU about it part. I certainly don't advocate shitbags going out and working an angle just to get a gun to rob or kill with. But AFAIC, if you're old enough to be handed an M4 to go die out on a battlefield with, then you're old enough to have the neutered version to go plink with at the range. Getting away from all that bullshit was no small part of why I moved down here.

In MA possession of an M&P 15 Sport or even the M&P 15-22 is illegal with a FID, you need a LTC for them as they are considered "large-capacity" by the large capacity roster.

How's that flinch working out for you? Ha.

If you want a Mosin you won't outgrow, consider a Finnish Mosin. Its like a Mosin for riflemen. Great trigger, excellent sights. Nice stock.

Don

Last edited:
How's that flinch working out for you? Ha.

If you want a Mosin you won't outgrow, consider a Finnish Mosin. Its like a Mosin for riflemen. Great trigger, excellent sights. Nice stock.

Don

Dry firing prevents/cures flinching, at least as far as I can tell.

Dry firing prevents/cures flinching, at least as far as I can tell.

Of course. It was said tongue in cheek. A mosin is quite a rifle to start off on. If it worked out, then fantastic. I really enjoy shooting my mosin's, but they don't get much use since I bought a finnish Mosin. Its like all that is good about a Mosin Nagant with all that is bad fixed really nice.

Don

Back
Top Bottom