Waiting for my FID, purchased an ar15 upper, feeling real stupid now...

I bought a BCM upper with an Ops inc 12th Model muzzle brake and collar, Daniel Defense fixed iron sights, a foregrip, and a buffer tube, spring, and buffer. I'm waiting for the FID, and I read in a bunch of places that I can't own the whole rifle because it's a large capacity firearm since it can take mags over ten rounds. I dropped about 1500 on it all and read up on the laws just about every chance I could, and missed this somehow. Is this really true?

Anyone have any advice on what I should do with half a rifle? Should I just wait until I'm 21 and get the rest? Or is there any other suggestions for a rifle you guys got?

Feeling pretty dumb right about now...

You'll lose money if you sell the parts now, but if you can't afford an FID compliant rifle without selling, then you kind of have to. Other option is no gun until you turn 21 and get an LTC.

If you are looking for an FID compliant rifle, I'd look at an SKS. One of my favorites.

Good luck, that's a tough situation.

Wow $1500 just for the upper???

Yeah you can own an AR with an FID because it's large capacity...

You can't return the upper??

Yes it's really true. Unless you really need the money I would hold onto the upper, because you won't be able to recoup all your money. You will end up buying the same or similar stuff again once you get a LTC at the price you paid now or possibly higher.

Could you not use a bullet button and permanently attached magazine to be compliant?

I bought a BCM upper with an Ops inc 12th Model muzzle brake and collar, Daniel Defense fixed iron sights, a foregrip, and a buffer tube, spring, and buffer. I'm waiting for the FID, and I read in a bunch of places that I can't own the whole rifle because it's a large capacity firearm since it can take mags over ten rounds. I dropped about 1500 on it all and read up on the laws just about every chance I could, and missed this somehow. Is this really true?

Anyone have any advice on what I should do with half a rifle? Should I just wait until I'm 21 and get the rest? Or is there any other suggestions for a rifle you guys got?

Feeling pretty dumb right about now...

Wait until 7-10 months from now when Cankles is elected and takes office and the panic buying begins.

Your $1,500 'investment' will easily be 2x what you paid for it... maybe even 3x that if she nominates Bill "The Chubby Chaser" to replace Scalia on the SCOTUS.

You'll lose money if you sell the parts now, but if you can't afford an FID compliant rifle without selling, then you kind of have to. Other option is no gun until you turn 21 and get an LTC.

If you are looking for an FID compliant rifle, I'd look at an SKS. One of my favorites.

Good luck, that's a tough situation.

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at an SKS actually, I figured that'd be a nice backup choice.

I would hold onto it and finish it when the time comes, or sell it for a profit when another panic spike hits. You can still pew pew with it, just not quite as much fun.

Could you not use a bullet button and permanently attached magazine to be compliant?

I'm uncertain on how the law works with lowers, so even though the OP can claim that it's for a non AW or not for a pistol build,
and even though it's not a firearm under MA law, he'd still probably still need an LTC to purchase it.

Like others have said, Sit on it till you can complete it or make some money when the inevitable next panic hits.
Think of it as an investment.

Wow $1500 just for the upper???

Yeah you can own an AR with an FID because it's large capacity...

You can't return the upper??

Hey thanks for the reply, its supposed to be a kind of clone of the precision m16 the military uses as a DMR, the upper with the muzzle brake was around $1230, the other stuff I got added to the total price I payed. And I can't return it because I tried to take my hand guard off without owning a vice, I took a hammer to it after I unscrewed everything I needed and tried to pull it off, but that failed. I just hammered it back on and it left a few dings on the edges of it, also I don't want to go through the hassle.

Wait until 7-10 months from now when Cankles is elected and takes office and the panic buying begins.

Your $1,500 'investment' will easily be 2x what you paid for it... maybe even 3x that if she nominates Bill "The Chubby Chaser" to replace Scalia on the SCOTUS.

Hmm I hadn't thought about that before... Even with the few minor dents and dings in it from trying to take the hand guard off I could still get a good price on it if she is elected.

To OP: Technically, since MA doesn't consider a lower to be an actual firearm, you could buy one without any sort of license. Good luck finding an FFL in MA who will complete such a transaction, though. Same goes for buying a lower on an FID. Technically legal but no sane dealer in the state is going to complete the transaction. Too much potential liability. Just sit on the upper and wait till you get your LTC. Buy an SKS in the mean time.

PS. I work at a gun shop and recently had a kid come in in much the same situation. I refused to sell him a lower, but I did go ahead and make his upper mass compliant so he would be ready to go when he got the proper credentials.

Hey thanks for the reply, its supposed to be a kind of clone of the precision m16 the military uses as a DMR, the upper with the muzzle brake was around $1230, the other stuff I got added to the total price I payed. And I can't return it because I tried to take my hand guard off without owning a vice, I took a hammer to it after I unscrewed everything I needed and tried to pull it off, but that failed. I just hammered it back on and it left a few dings on the edges of it, also I don't want to go through the hassle.

Hmm I hadn't thought about that before... Even with the few minor dents and dings in it from trying to take the hand guard off I could still get a good price on it if she is elected.

Pics of the damage would be helpful. Just curious why you felt the need to take apart and hammer on your new "precision" unit?

What about this? http://www.dark-storm.com/dsi-ds-15-stripped-fixed-magazine-lower-receiver-black.html

Bushmaster made/makes one as well called the carbon 15
2eaf50b1244f053a6b564a7993579cbf.jpg

Last edited:
If you paid cash, good investment. If you charged it, you will end up paying $3k by the time you pay it off.

ANY AR or clone of such is defined as "large capacity" by MGL/CMR/Large Capacity List by EOPS so no mods will make it FID compliant. Sorry but you'll just have to wait until you get your LTC at 21.

s446.photobucket.com/user/dobrien11497/library/?sort=3&page=1

There should be 4 photos there, I tried to take the hand guard off because BCM puts a thin coat of oil on the upper when it ships, including on the barrel, I just wanted to clean it off because it was attracting a lot of dust and cat hair, and it was just annoying to have it there.

To OP: Technically, since MA doesn't consider a lower to be an actual firearm, you could buy one without any sort of license. Good luck finding an FFL in MA who will complete such a transaction, though. Same goes for buying a lower on an FID. Technically legal but no sane dealer in the state is going to complete the transaction. Too much potential liability. Just sit on the upper and wait till you get your LTC. Buy an SKS in the mean time.

PS. I work at a gun shop and recently had a kid come in in much the same situation. I refused to sell him a lower, but I did go ahead and make his upper mass compliant so he would be ready to go when he got the proper credentials.
If you read the instructions for Question 18 on the 4473, you will see that it is illegal for an FFL to transfer a lower, even if that lower can only be built into a rifle or shotgun, to a person who is under the age of 21.

MA law doesn't consider a lower to be a firearm, so it might be legal for an individual to sell a lower to someone between 18 and 21, but not an FFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a bad option.
Except for the problem of how do you get one into the state without either committing a straw purchase or having an FFL violate the GCA law on transfers to 18-21 year olds?

If you read the instructions for Question 18 on the 4473, you will see that it is illegal for an FFL to transfer a lower, even if that lower can only be built into a rifle or shotgun, to a person who is under the age of 21.

MA law doesn't consider a lower to be a firearm, so it might be legal for an individual to sell a lower to someone between 18 and 21, but not an FFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Except for the problem of how do you get one into the state without either committing a straw purchase or having an FFL violate the GCA law on transfers to 18-21 year olds?

Find a FFl a with a 07 hand him the upper and parts kit.
Believe it or not a FFl needs to have a 07 to assemble ar's.

s446.photobucket.com/user/dobrien11497/library/?sort=3&page=1

There should be 4 photos there, I tried to take the hand guard off because BCM puts a thin coat of oil on the upper when it ships, including on the barrel, I just wanted to clean it off because it was attracting a lot of dust and cat hair, and it was just annoying to have it there.

Holy crap. I'm usually the guy to support the newbies. but this single post is so full of fail that I couldn't resist. Cat hair nonwithstanding, if you found it necessary to beat a precision instrument with a hammer, I'm not sure there's much beneficial advice I could give you other than, "buy an AK, and don't shoot it." You literally became so frustrated with a machined part that you took a hammer to it? I'm at a loss for words. The fact that you didn't do your research about owning a complete rifle is your own doing.

Last edited:
Find a FFl a with a 07 hand him the upper and parts kit.
Believe it or not a FFl needs to have a 07 to assemble ar's.

It still doesn't matter. An FFL outside your state of residence cannot legally transfer you a rifle or shotgun if it is not legal for you to possess the same in your state of residence.

Back
Top Bottom