Wait time?

SteaminPete said:
:D :D Finally!!! Just got the permits in the mail yesterday after I called the PD inquiring about the status and was told that it was mailed a couple of days ago. Funny that the postmark was the 7th and I rec'd on the 8th and the permits were dated 03/28 ?.
Anyway I took a trip to Matchshot Firearms in Gardner,MA this morning and purchased a S&W 642 for my wife. As for now we will share until I decide to go with a revolver or semi-auto. :D :D

Congrats! (Sometimes they wait until you call before they "suddenly get it back"... ahem...)

LenS said:
Time to bug them again!

The officer said it will take 6-8 weeks, so I was going to give them the full 8 weeks before I bug them. I suppose 6 weeks is a decent bug time, though, since it's 2 days past the state requirement.

Martlet said:
The officer said it will take 6-8 weeks, so I was going to give them the full 8 weeks before I bug them. I suppose 6 weeks is a decent bug time, though, since it's 2 days past the state requirement.

Call and ask. I'm hearing it's taking some folks longer than even 8 weeks.

Northboro ran in to a problem with Brent's last name. They never contacted him about it. He waited and waited. Finally after a while he called to check, they informed him of the problem doing the Back Ground check because of the last name. He corrected them on it and had his permit a week later.

One thing you must realize. . .

From their point of view, they are "doing you a favor" and thus if they have any problems, they are unlikely to contact you and request clarification. They'll wait for you to bug them, hoping that you won't and they won't have to deal with the issue at all.

Lynne means that we all have a "record" on file with CHSB and NCIC now that they have our fingerprints, BOP, pictures to get a "mother may I" LTC.

Personally no biggie, as my info has been on file with the FBI, DOD, NRC, US Navy, etc, since I got my first security clearance in 1966.

LenS said:
Lynne means that we all have a "record" on file with CHSB and NCIC now that they have our fingerprints, BOP, pictures to get a "mother may I" LTC.

Personally no biggie, as my info has been on file with the FBI, DOD, NRC, US Navy, etc, since I got my first security clearance in 1966.

Oh. Yeah, I've been on file since I joined the military and went SOS.

Lynne also means that she has a problem being kept in the same computer as "criminals". I'm NOT one and I sure as hell don't plan to be one. [evil]

LenS said:

Just a matter of time before they start requiring DNA.
Visions of "smart weapons" from the movie Judge Dredd.

Nickle said:
Anybody that is military, ex-military, had a Federal security clearance or an FFL or ex-FFL is in the computer, with your fingerprints.

...along with the rest of the criminal element. Somehow that just doesn't seem right. But, that's me.

The only reason we're in the computer is so that our "data" will show up quickly IF we commit a crime. I'm in there several ways, none of them criminal.

When our state ran their own background checks, I ALWAYS got a 1 day delay when buying a firearm.

I don't have a problem with being on anyone's computer system because I'm licensed. What I *DO* take offense to is that our information is kept with the Criminal History Systems Board. I'm not a criminal. There's other systems out there (state police to name just one) that could keep the records - not the CHSB.

Psst, the CHSB is sorta part of the "State Police". The Secretary of Public Safety runs the MA State Police, MCJTC/MPTC/etc., CHSB, FRB, etc.

MA State Police really are just the police enforcement arm. CHSB and FRB are the data processing arm of the organization.

I have been told by CHSB that our LTC records are in a separate database from the criminal records.

ALL the databases are linked together so that court cases can flag CHSB if needed, RMV if needed, etc.

Physically CHSB appears secure, as they will not even allow Public Safety Committee members of the Legislature access to the building to see what they do or how they do it! :?

Database access is secure, but like any other database, a determined individual with good hacker skills can probably break in and steal, change, etc. the data if they were really determined to do so.

LenS said:
Psst, the CHSB is sorta part of the "State Police". The Secretary of Public Safety runs the MA State Police, MCJTC/MPTC/etc., CHSB, FRB, etc.

MA State Police really are just the police enforcement arm. CHSB and FRB are the data processing arm of the organization.

I know that dearheart...then let the FRB keep them.

Have I ever told you I HATE this state?

:D

Lynne said:
I don't have a problem with being on anyone's computer system because I'm licensed. What I *DO* take offense to is that our information is kept with the Criminal History Systems Board.

You're referring to an "in state" situation. I was referring to the NCIC. I just didn't want any confusion. If you fall into the criterea I mentioned earlier, you'll be in a part of the NCIC database.

Back
Top Bottom