Wait time?

I'm new to MA, and just applied for my LTC. What is the usual wait time before you receive an answer? From the stories I heard, should I just expect to not get it and appeal?

Edit: Oh, and hi! Thanks for the opportunity to post!

This will vary all over the place depending on what town you now live in, their attitude towards civilian gun ownership, their attitude to doing their jobs in a timely manner!

Another factor is where you lived before and whatever delays happen in getting your records from those states' system.

That said, even for MA residents it has recently taken as little as 2-4 weeks and as long as 6 months.

Knowing the particular town and talking to others with LTCs in that town will give you a better feel for the local politics. [NOTE: MA Laws allow each chief to play god and make his own rules in addition to the mandated state process.]

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay here and learn/contribute a lot!

Welcome aboard.

All depends on the town you are in. Randolph was pretty quick. I got my license in about 3 weeks.

Good luck.

Martlet said:
I'm new to MA, and just applied for my LTC. What is the usual wait time before you receive an answer? From the stories I heard, should I just expect to not get it and appeal?

Welcome to the board Martlet. I live in Holden and it took about 7 to 8 weeks for mine.

derek said:
Martlet said:

Welcome to the board Martlet. I live in Holden and it took about 7 to 8 weeks for mine.

I was amazed at the process. I've never had to write a letter explaining why I "needed" a firearm.

Amazing! I didn't mind taking the class, even though my instructor made it a waste of time. At least in theory it's a decent idea.

Having a local police chief as the end all for a state-wide license, particularly when he can make his own rules, seems a little absurd, though. Maybe it's just because I'm from Maine. Heck, I got my first gun there on my tenth birthday.

Welcome Martlet.

I live in Franklin and it took 11 weeks to get my LTC. Applying was easy, I was in and out of the PD in less than 15 minutes as it was all done on the computer.

Good luck.

The web page says if I don't get anything back in 40 days I should assume I won't and appeal. Would you say that's good advice, or I should wait? Do they tell you if you're declined?

Unless you are a convicted felon,or have a history of drug/spouse abuse etc...You will get a LTC.It's all in what class they "let" you have.

If "they" deem you have no reason to carry concealed,you will get a "B". I think they are other versions of the B license like "only to and from the range" etc..

I had to call and on the last possible day,they said come pick it up.I live in Wooostaaahhh.The outgoing chief deemed I was responsible enough to carry concealed.

I was amazed at the process. I've never had to write a letter explaining why I "needed" a firearm.

That's nothing.I had to have 2 (two) letters of recommendation printed on BUSINESS letterhead.I wrote them myself and had 2 people sign them :) Shoulda seen the praises I gave myself..LOL I turned them into the sheriff's office myself,so I knew they had them.They gave me a phone # to call to check up on the progress.

Martlet said:
The web page says if I don't get anything back in 40 days I should assume I won't and appeal. Would you say that's good advice, or I should wait? Do they tell you if you're declined?

I would simply stop by your local PD after about 8 weeks and ask them if you haven't received it yet.

Greg said:
Unless you are a convicted felon,or have a history of drug/spouse abuse etc...You will get a LTC.It's all in what class they "let" you have.

If "they" deem you have no reason to carry concealed,you will get a "B". I think they are other versions of the B license like "only to and from the range" etc..

I had to call and on the last possible day,they said come pick it up.I live in Wooostaaahhh.The outgoing chief deemed I was responsible enough to carry concealed.

I'm not a convicted felon, no drug or spouse abuse. I guess I'll just have to wait a few months and give them a call if I haven't heard anything.

I work in Worcester. There are some nutty areas there.

Yes Worcester is a shit hole. Just be glad you dont live in Worcester. The police Chief there wont give out "Any Lawful Purpose" permits there. And if you have one and want to get it re-newed, it will get down graded.

I can't wait to move to NH. Speaking of which, can I have my MA resident LTC changed to a Non-Resident LTC? What is the process?

There are some nutty areas there.

Ya,and I live right near one of them.(Greatbrook Valley) I think they might have actually just felt sorry for me,being the only law abiding citizen within 2 sqaure miles of the "valley"..lol

Just wait,then call after the 30th day,that's what I did.they said it wasn't ready,or actually back from some statewide check thingy.I just called back on the next to the last day and it was ready.

Sounds good. I'll try that. I guess I'm just impatient because I'd like to get my firearms out of storage.

I work across from city hall. That bus stop is a scary place.

Martlet said:
Sounds good. I'll try that. I guess I'm just impatient because I'd like to get my firearms out of storage.

I work across from city hall. That bus stop is a scary place.

During the day it's not so bad. Your situational awareness should keep you out of harms way for the most part until you get your LTC. It gets a little hairyier <-- SP at night, but there isnt a good reason for you to be down there anyways. The good resturants are no where near there. :D

I spent 5 years with a drug interdiction unit in South America. I didn't mean scary afraid, I meant more scary "wow these people are mentally unstable". Walking down the streets of Quito at night, now THAT'S scary! [shock]

Martlet said:
I spent 5 years with a drug interdiction unit in South America. I didn't mean scary afraid, I meant more scary "wow these people are mentally unstable". Walking down the streets of Quito at night, now THAT'S scary! [shock]

LOL most liberals in MA are "mentally unstable" Did I just say that out loud?

derek said:
Martlet said:

The first night I went out to for a drink here, I went to the Porthole in Lynn. It was a real dive. The bartender wouldn't serve me until I took my Bush/Cheney button off.

You have got to be shittin me! You should have walked out. Not to mention that the bartender probably claims about $20K annually and skips out on taxes from all tips collectively. Class act

Derek,

Unlike FL, if you leave MA and want a MA NR LTC, you have to go thru the whole process (and $100 all over again). Difference is that the MSP does NOT require doctors letters, letters of recommendation, or proof of 1000 sit-ups to get a LTC-A/ALP.

In fact (at least up til now) if your LTC was lost, destroyed or stolen you had to pay again, fill out all the paperwork again, just like a normal renewal . . . and you are considered "unlicensed" until you actually have the LTC in your hands! [Not at all like a DL!] There is some talk that they may reissue lost/stolen/destroyed LTCs for a nominal fee, but nothing has been done to set that up yet.

Where we live it took my mother-in-law 6 months to get hers and took me 9 months to get mine. Plus we put our applications in early. Ours were just renewals too. [evil]

derek said:

ROTFLMAO!! [lol]

But to answer the original question... It can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. My hubby and I are instructors and that's the range that our students have experienced. It also took hubby 138 days to get his renewal.

Now, having said that, as long as you "fit the bill", if you haven't heard anything from them (the PD) in 40 days, call them and ask about your license. If they tell you that it has not come back as yet, then call your state Rep's and Senator's office (you ARE registered to vote in the state, yes? If not, don't bother calling cuz they won't help you). The MA general laws state they have 40 days to get back to you. If you're a voter, call them and complain that you haven't gotten your license yet, and, that it's past the 40 days alloted by law. They should do something to help. FWIW

Lynne said:
derek said:

ROTFLMAO!! [lol]

But to answer the original question... It can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. My hubby and I are instructors and that's the range that our students have experienced. It also took hubby 138 days to get his renewal.

Now, having said that, as long as you "fit the bill", if you haven't heard anything from them (the PD) in 40 days, call them and ask about your license. If they tell you that it has not come back as yet, then call your state Rep's and Senator's office (you ARE registered to vote in the state, yes? If not, don't bother calling cuz they won't help you). The MA general laws state they have 40 days to get back to you. If you're a voter, call them and complain that you haven't gotten your license yet, and, that it's past the 40 days alloted by law. They should do something to help. FWIW

My reps will tell me to go screw. Every time I call them it's to tell them they ticked me off again, and I can't wait to vote against them in the next election.

It has been eight weeks today that my wife and I applied in Ashburnham. Being curious I looked up the cancelled check and it was only deposited 04/05/05, dated 02/10/05. This just seems odd, but possibly the late deposit is the result of the chief stepping down a few weeks after we applied, and now we have the previous chief as acting temporary chief. If the paperwork got held up along with the check I am not going to be very happy as I am getting real itchy to go to the range with my wife and our new guns. [evil] :x [twisted]

SteaminPete said:
It has been eight weeks today that my wife and I applied in Ashburnham. Being curious I looked up the cancelled check and it was only deposited 04/05/05, dated 02/10/05. This just seems odd, but possibly the late deposit is the result of the chief stepping down a few weeks after we applied, and now we have the previous chief as acting temporary chief. If the paperwork got held up along with the check I am not going to be very happy as I am getting real itchy to go to the range with my wife and our new guns. [evil] :x [twisted]

It's very possible the change of reins has held things up, but I would call them and ask what the status is. State law says they have 40 days to get back to you...it's been longer than that. (who expects anyone in any type of power in this state to follow the damn laws??)

:D :D Finally!!! Just got the permits in the mail yesterday after I called the PD inquiring about the status and was told that it was mailed a couple of days ago. Funny that the postmark was the 7th and I rec'd on the 8th and the permits were dated 03/28 ?.
Anyway I took a trip to Matchshot Firearms in Gardner,MA this morning and purchased a S&W 642 for my wife. As for now we will share until I decide to go with a revolver or semi-auto. :D :D

Back
Top Bottom