VP9 or Canik TP9SA or P320

I cant decide. I'm about to purchase a new striker-fired 9 millimeter.
I can't decide between the vp9, Canik, or P320.
I was trying to decide between the vp9 and the P320 but the Canik just seems like a really great gun for the price.
Any advice or suggestions from actual owners? I would welcome the opportunity, if possible, to meet someone at the Taunton range to try out one of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can't speak for the VP9 or the P320, but if you are going to get a Canik go with the TP9SF, not the TP9SA. The SA has a decocking button that seems to drive people nuts. I have the SF and so far I have to say it's on par with my Glock 17 and 22. There's a little take up on the trigger, but the trigger break is clean and crisp. For the price you can't go wrong.

I've heard great things about the P320, but never shot one. I do have a VP9 and its a tack driver and the best stock trigger on a striker fired gun that I have shot.

The Canik is pretty new, so not sure how they are and if there will be any problems down the road.

So my vote is for the VP9

Is the vp9 pretty easy to take down and clean? Also is it really worth twice as much as the Canik?
They look so much alike and I've seen great reviews on both but the truth is I could buy two Canik pistols for the price of one vp9.

Is the vp9 pretty easy to take down and clean? Also is it really worth twice as much as the Canik?
They look so much alike and I've seen great reviews on both but the truth is I could buy two Canik pistols for the price of one vp9.

I love my VP9, I almost bought a TP9 in FDE just to have one. THE VP9 field strips easy but the actual trigger group and such is harder than lets say an M&P. My buddy bought a brand new VP9 and the trigger return spring somehow inverted from the factory or nobody in QC actually checked it. It was a pain to get back in place.

+1 for the VP9

You could buy 2 top round steaks for the price of a Porterhouse, then you would have 2 less good cuts of meat.

Find someone who has one, and it will be an easy decision to make.

Easy enough to field strip and clean. But as said above, don't try the trigger group.

And as also said, two lesser steaks do not make a porterhouse. Buy once cry once.

Looks like a lot of positive info for the vp9.
That's what I was leaning towards. The Sig P320 I'm sure it's great pistol but it just looks bland and cheap plasticky.
The VP9 just looks like so much nicer gun and it looks freakin gorgeous in grey. Are the stock sights pretty good or should they be upgraded?
Also if anyone has a vp9 and would be willing to let me try it out I'd happily supply the ammo and a cup of of Dunkin Donuts.

Last edited:
I am a member at Taunton, I typically go Saturday mornings, but am encumbered with in-laws this weekend. If you have time, I will PM you before I plan to go next.

I am a member at Taunton, I typically go Saturday mornings, but am encumbered with in-laws this weekend. If you have time, I will PM you before I plan to go next.
Sounds good. Thanks.

I like the stock (glow in the dark) sights better than the night sights. I had my choice and went standard. But for me this is a fun gun not home defense.

I personally will leave the stock sights in place. No need to upgrade them.

For the $$ Canik hands down.
you can get them for 350.00 and comes with a decent Range Kit
The 320 is around 589 ish and a Great Gun.
Not a Big fan of the VP9.
15895024_10101164480304425_2865392706555029344_n.jpg6286651_01_canik_tp9sf_budget_glock_17__640.jpg

Last edited:
So I went to my local shop and fondled a few guns.
The Canik was decent but it just felt cheap and the grip was too smooth and slippery.
The VP9 was a little better but the grip was also a little too smooth and I just wasn't crazy about it.
The P320C melted into my hand perfectly and the textured grip felt great. I was surprised how much I liked it.
I also diddled a P30SK and absolutely loved it. I am not crazy about the DA/SA of the P30 but it felt like a superb little gun.
As of now i am trying to pick between the P320C and the P30SK... so hard to choose.

have owned all 3 of these pistols. everything you're looking at is top notch. none are junk. it simply comes down to personal preference. for me the VP9 just didn't fit right and after extended shooting sessions (200+ rds) my trigger finger got some bite from the trigger guard. sold the VP9. the P320 and TP9SF are keepers. 2 of the best striker guns out there. the P320 is a brilliant design and amazing shooter. the TP9SF is also fantastic.

i'm an HK fan and mostly shoot a USP 9 and P2000 9. why are you looking at the P30SK? why not checkout a full size HK like the USP or a P30 (not S model)? typically people find these hammer guns a bit harder to shoot, but they are some of the finest built pistols out there. you really can't go wrong with a P320, TP9SF or a full size HK.

although the canik is cheaper by at least $200, I do not believe the build quality is any less than the sig or HK. it also shoots just as well.

Last edited:
why are you looking at the P30SK? why not checkout a full size HK like the USP or a P30 (not S model)?

It happened to be right next to the P320C in the case and I asked to look at it. As soon as I put it in my hand I loved the compact size of it and the way that felt. I wasn't originally looking at it but the more I handled it the more I liked it.

If the Canik tp9sf Elite come to Massachusetts then I'd probably pick it up in a heartbeat.

It happened to be right next to the P320C in the case and I asked to look at it. As soon as I put it in my hand I loved the compact size of it and the way that felt. I wasn't originally looking at it but the more I handled it the more I liked it.

If the Canik tp9sf Elite come to Massachusetts then I'd probably pick it up in a heartbeat. Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

the TP9SF elite does nothing for me. what's the point? it's the same model w slightly shorter grip and fiberoptic sights. nothing special there. and i'm not sure about the shorter mags in 10rd variety. they may not even exist. if looking for "cool factor" i suppose the elite model might be nice, but if looking for a shooter just go with the standard model.

if you really like the P30sk, then get your hand onto a P30 full size. there's a reason why the P30 has strong cult following. it's decades of HK's proven internal design of the USP combined with modern ergonomics. the P30SK is also a nice pistol, but does not offer the benefits of a full size pistol. also the frame checkering is more like the VP9 as opposed to the full size P30 which is unquestionably more aggressive. all this being said, the P30 models are overpriced. but then again all HK stuff is overpriced and i still dig it.

if you're intending to really practice with the pistol then I find a DA/SA can workout just fine. however the training curve is much easier with a striker gun, so would factor that into your decision. a striker gun needs far less practice to be proficient. my personal preference is hammer fired, but then again i go to the range as least twice a week.

a P320 or TP9SF is a gun i could pickup after months without shooting it and still draw from holster to hit the steel at least respectably. this is not the case with most hammer guns.

Last edited:

If the Canik tp9sf Elite come to Massachusetts then I'd probably pick it up in a heartbeat.

On the Elite I talked to Century Arms and he said no 10 rounders are in the works "But" myself thinks they will.
I pre ordered the New CZP10c after seeing tons of people are having issues with the new Elite.
But the TP9SF and SA are Great shooters

So I just picked up an H&K P30SK for a really good price. I'll hit the range this weekend and report back

just sayin', but when you buy a canik you're buying a muslim gun. if that doesn't bother you, fine, but.............. most American muslims are nice folks, yet in a recent survey, done by liberal PEW research I believe, about 1/3 of American muslims favor sharia law over the US Constitution, and would outlaw being gay and letting a woman's testimony equal that of her husband. when you survey British muslims, the numbers are higher. and you know what happens when you survey muslims anywhere else, including turkey, which is turning into a totalitarian/theocracy state under erdogan (sp?). and most of them would be pretty excited about gassing the remaining Jews on this planet. and infidel Americans. I'm buying a Christian or Jewish gun! just sayin'!

just sayin', but when you buy a canik you're buying a muslim gun. if that doesn't bother you, fine, but.............. most American muslims are nice folks, yet in a recent survey, done by liberal PEW research I believe, about 1/3 of American muslims favor sharia law over the US Constitution, and would outlaw being gay and letting a woman's testimony equal that of her husband. when you survey British muslims, the numbers are higher. and you know what happens when you survey muslims anywhere else, including turkey, which is turning into a totalitarian/theocracy state under erdogan (sp?). and most of them would be pretty excited about gassing the remaining Jews on this planet. and infidel Americans. I'm buying a Christian or Jewish gun! just sayin'!

OLD NEWS...Let me ask a ? You Greek? So a Jew shouldn't ever buy an H&K also right? Save it unless you can say 100% that Canik Maker Is The Enemy.

How amusing considering that GIs in Vietnam would try to get AK 47s as they were regarded as being better weapons. Lugers and P38s were highly prized in WW2.
Back before there wast an embargo on Chinese weapons people were gobbling up Norincos by the carload and we all know what a beacon of democracy and freedom China is. Tell me how many Items are in your home Chinese. If you are going to boycott goods from countries or ideologies you deem evil you must be consistent. To be otherwise is hypocritical unless of course you are pro-Communist....just saying.

I wouldn't buy a gun, or anything else from our enemies unless I had to, in that there was nothing close in function or quality anywhere else. and I would buy nothing from those with whom we are at war. buying crap from the nazis during the war would be treason in my book. buying a canik isn't to that level because we're not at war with the turks.

buying Chinese stuff can be frustrating sometimes, but again, we're not at war with them and they aren't an enemy. a serious competitor. maybe even a rival. but not an enemy.

if the canik was the only functioning 9mm and I needed a 9mm then I guess I'd get it. that's my decision. I welcome everybody to make their own mind up.

just trying to consider some geopolitical ramifications is all. I've met many Chinese, and have some in my family, and I know they make great Americans. and many are becoming Christian gun owners, especially having gotten the hell away from communism. I've also met a few muslims and they seem fine too. I'm just reporting the sentiment of many such religious folks in the US and around the world. news flash: most of them don't love us. just sayin'

gee, I was kind of hoping it's from North Dakota. or the Canadian tar sands. or Mexico. or even Venezuela. but, anyways, you probably didn't read the part about ​unless I had to.

I wouldn't buy a gun, or anything else from our enemies unless I had to, in that there was nothing close in function or quality anywhere else. and I would buy nothing from those with whom we are at war. buying crap from the nazis during the war would be treason in my book. buying a canik isn't to that level because we're not at war with the turks.

buying Chinese stuff can be frustrating sometimes, but again, we're not at war with them and they aren't an enemy. a serious competitor. maybe even a rival. but not an enemy.

if the canik was the only functioning 9mm and I needed a 9mm then I guess I'd get it. that's my decision. I welcome everybody to make their own mind up.

just trying to consider some geopolitical ramifications is all. I've met many Chinese, and have some in my family, and I know they make great Americans. and many are becoming Christian gun owners, especially having gotten the hell away from communism. I've also met a few muslims and they seem fine too. I'm just reporting the sentiment of many such religious folks in the US and around the world. news flash: most of them don't love us. just sayin'

Interesting observation, you seem to forget that the Turks are out NATO allies and that we have US military personnel stationed on their soil. I know I was one of them, yet you seem to think the Chinese who are consistently becoming more hostile towards us in the Pacific are somehow more acceptable. I would point out that the Turks fought with us against the Chinese during the Korean War and had a splendid record in Combat. No Turkish POW ever broke under brainwashing either.

So you prefer the goods of a nation that has consistently has undermined us in the world economic stage, waged war against us and suppresses it own people than one who is a sworn ally by treaty and allows our troops on its soil. You have a very interesting and I dare say very inconsistent world view Mr Ridley.

Back
Top Bottom