• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vp9 experiences

Been a long time since I've last posted. Looking into getting myself a VP9 for daily carry and was hoping to hear of others experiences, how they carry and their favorite holster.

Warmest regards,
JM

Went to a VP9SK since my VP9 was too long to appendix carry comfortably, and stuck out too much when carried at 5:00. Got myself a single clip kydex holster with raven claw. Might try a Stealthgear if I come into some extra cash. YMMV, of course.

If you get a close fit high ride holster, the VP9 will conceal fine. But if in Mass then you are limited to 10 round mags.

I found the VP9SK a "two finger" gun and that doesn't work. In a crisis I want a good grip that i can count on.

I use a gunfighters inc OWB holster. I'm 6'5 and i have no issues concealing it. I changed out the striker plate to something solid and the plastic firing pin spring housing (that's my best guess to what it is) to aluminum. ran 300 rounds through it last range session with no issues... other than my eyes.

VP9SK with extended mag is a better choice than VP9 for CC. I have big hand it worked. Went to the Sig P365 with extended 10 round mags as my current EDC. The Sig shoots better than the VP9SK for me.

The new VP9s are milled from the factory with 17-round mags. I have one on the way to my FFL. Going to put a Trijicon on there. Dimensionally they are between a G17 and a G19. The G19 is concealable for me, so the VP9 should be as well. Plus you get G17 capacity, and red dot capability from the factory.

The VP9 is a great platform. I’ve owned three in different ‘flavors’ (colors) as well as a P30. I find it’s a little large to CC IWB if you run a WML, otherwise if you’re not gonna run a light a locally-made 508 Holster IWB runs great and carries well. For OWB I like a Bravo or Raven Kydex holster.

I run mine completely stock and never had a single malfunction in a couple thousand rounds across the three I’ve had. There are a few Gucci upgrades (trigger, mag well, long slide, comp, etc) if you want to run it as a Tricked-out competition gun, although the amount of after-market trinkets aren’t as plentiful as other platforms. For CC, bone stock is totally fine as they have a decent trigger.

I’d recommend spending the little extra $$ to get the “LE” model with stock night sights and the third magazine. Not only are they better for low-light training, the rear sight profile is better for racking the slide off of your holster or belt for one-handed drills in comparison to the “standard” stock sights. I actually prefer the stock night sights over other aftermarket brands.

if you’re left-handed (like me), the ambi controls excel (in my opinion) over a Glock Gen 5 making it an ideal carry choice.

best of luck and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom