Vox: Massachusetts/D.C.-style licensing is the solution

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
The gun solution we’re not talking about
It’s a real, thorough background check. So it reliably keeps guns away from the same people background checks attempt to filter out.
The author must not keep up with #MACourtFails.
The process also takes about three weeks. Background checks take an average of 108 seconds. If someone is going through a suicidal episode or is a domestic abuser without a record, they could get a gun very quickly and harm themselves or others. With licensing, that person would be delayed and possibly deterred from getting a gun.
Only three weeks. And applicants get to be fingerprinted like criminals.
Researchers at Johns Hopkins found that when Connecticut established a licensing law in 1995, it was associated with a 40 percent drop in gun homicides and a 15 percent drop in gun suicides. Missouri had a licensing law for decades but repealed it in 2007. That change was associated with a 17 to 27 percent increase in gun homicides and a 16 percent increase in gun suicides.
It is amazing to me firearm prohibitionists can still trot out the reduction in violence that occurred all over the western world in the 1990s as their evidence firearm prohibition reduces homicides unchallenged. I know plenty of gun owners who buy into that as well.

Right, and that’s why Massachusetts has nearly triple the murder rate of New Hampshire, where there are very few gun laws and no license requirements.

Right, and that’s why Massachusetts has nearly triple the murder rate of New Hampshire, where there are very few gun laws and no license requirements.

I quoted that the other day. The response. "But MA has more people and more big cities."

I asked if they understood what the word Rate meant. And then left the conversation.

I quoted that the other day. The response. "But MA has more people and more big cities."

I asked if they understood what the word Rate meant. And then left the conversation.
But the mentality of the "more" people in the "more" big cities is the root of many of our problems. They tend to vote D and love big .gov.

Last edited:
I'm curious how much the homicides and suicides increased in the in-between sections of Missouri. The state is bordered by St. Louis to the East and KC to the west. As we know, SL is NOT a great place to be. How much of that death-increase is due to those 2 areas???

Oh, they don't want THAT stat. It might F up their point. But if I was trying to prove that guns'r'bad,um'kay, I'd wanna know that the drop in licensing and making Missouri a ConCarry state led to massive increase in gun crime in the middle areas.

Reality is: It didn't and doesn't.

I'm adding another one. So the person compared a single year to a single year and made a conclusion.

All that really really proves us for THAT pair of data sets there was X change.

I forgot sometimes it's best to go visual.

Drawn a circle. Draw three straight lines through the mid point.

Now draw a funky wackadoodle kids drawing around a midpoint next to it.

Three measurements on the first prove its in round? Right?

Now find three lines which are the right length on the wackadoodle. Is it round too?

I would like to see a study of how many shootings in MA are done by unlicensed people. Would this prove that licensing works or disprove the theory that licensing works? Unfortunately to do this we would have to go to the root of the problem. This would be very difficult because it would involve areas of concern and the hot beds of gun violence and illegal activity. These areas seem protected in MA. we love our criminals.

It’s already in effect in 12 states and DC. In Massachusetts, you first have to take a firearm safety course then submit a permit application at a police department. They directly check local law enforcement and mental health agencies, contact references, and run your fingerprints.

It’s a real, thorough background check. So it reliably keeps guns away from the same people background checks attempt to filter out.

The process also takes about three weeks. Background checks take an average of
108 seconds

Has anyone ever had their license turned around in three weeks?

My wife. Renewals are 10 days for her. I think part of it is Summer licenses go faster and part of it is the town is very pro-lets-get-women-their-guns-for-protection thing.

I would like to see a study of how many shootings in MA are done by unlicensed people. Would this prove that licensing works or disprove the theory that licensing works? Unfortunately to do this we would have to go to the root of the problem. This would be very difficult because it would involve areas of concern and the hot beds of gun violence and illegal activity. These areas seem protected in MA. we love our criminals.
That’s racist!!!

Researchers at Johns Hopkins found that when Connecticut established a licensing law in 1995, it was associated with a 40 percent drop in gun homicides and a 15 percent drop in gun suicides. Missouri had a licensing law for decades but repealed it in 2007. That change was associated with a 17 to 27 percent increase in gun homicides and a 16 percent increase in gun suicides.

That just means they killed themselves another way. Question is did the % of drug, knife or hanging suicides go up?

RC

That just means they killed themselves another way. Question is did the % of drug, knife or hanging suicides go up?

RC

Terrible correlation too. Most states that require some form of licensing is just for the purpose of carry many of which only require one for concealed not OC. So whatever caused the crime rates to go up in some states after they dropped the 2A permission slip is coming from somewhere else. Still doesn't explain overall lack such crime in states like NH either.

Not racist realist . There doesn't seem to be a lot of us licenced gun owners shooting each other' . My comment was not ment to offend .

Last edited:
the antis want UBC to enable a registry. Nothing else.

I remember reading somewhere that SAF proposed closing the so-called "gun show loophole" by making everyone who entered a gun show submit to a background check, whether they were there to buy a gun or just to look around. The antis weren't having any of it. Proof that their interest isn't in screening would-be gun owners but in creating a registry.

Do you have a cite for this? I'd like it for fodder in future discussions. As i see things, it's NEW HAMPSHIRE style gun laws that we need, not MA/DC ones

Back
Top Bottom