Vortex optics

I got the razor HD 1-6 for my new AR and love it so far. Bright and crisp and is easily used with both eyes open when set on low power magnification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vortex is good stuff, well build. I have a 1-4 (not the razor though), a $400ish scope, and it's pretty nice.

They have the best warranty in the business - the only mfgr I know of that does not have the weasel words "except for electronics" in their lifetime warranty (Trijicon, Browe and Swavorski all have such weasel words)

Your first sentence said you were looking. Rob told you they were good optics I felt no need to repeat that even though the one I am selling is a better grade than Rob's.

Sorry I did not repeat that Vortex optics are excellent and actually high end optics that have a fantastic warranty. I figured you had enough self motivation to have checked that out

I had the self motivation to ask people on a internet forum. Asking for opinions and thoughts about why they love or hate these optics. And if there were better optics that can be compared to Vortex. Maybe you can be more detailed about why its excellent and why they have a fantastic warranty. I'm sure anyone can read the warranty on products on websites and boxes. It's alot easier asking for opinions and experiences on forums than going to the store as there are alot of different brands, styles, etc. Going to the store knowing what i want is alot easier than going to the store not knowing what i want.

Your first sentence said you were looking. Rob told you they were good optics I felt no need to repeat that even though the one I am selling is a better grade than Rob's.
Go ahead, rub it in. If it's nicer than mine, and I expect it is, it's a damn fine tube.

why its excellent

Solid single piece tube, crisp glass, smooth controls. The only are mine does not excel is "brightness of illumination" of the lighted recticle.

why they have a fantastic warranty
Lifetime, unconditional.

Call ACOG, Browe and Swarvoski and ask;

"If the electronics craps out in my scope, or the illuminated reticle doesn't illuminate, is it covered by warranty?"

Then, call Vortex and ask the same question.

Last edited:
I have one on my ruger american, the crossfire II 6x18x44mm. Probably a little too big for an AR, but it's a great scope for a great price. I found it on sale a few months ago.

I had the self motivation to ask people on a internet forum. Asking for opinions and thoughts about why they love or hate these optics. And if there were better optics that can be compared to Vortex. Maybe you can be more detailed about why its excellent and why they have a fantastic warranty. I'm sure anyone can read the warranty on products on websites and boxes. It's alot easier asking for opinions and experiences on forums than going to the store as there are alot of different brands, styles, etc. Going to the store knowing what i want is alot easier than going to the store not knowing what i want.

Well, I guess I need more information to better help you. You want this for an AR. You also say mid range. Is that price or distance?

I use a 4MOA dot and have used it successfully out to 200 yards. No magnification. I use a Trijicon reflex and a CMORE ATAC both mounted on flat top uppers.

I have a Trijicon 1-4 TR21 that I also use I like it a lot for clarity and it works well for the purpose I have it tasked for. On my .308 AR I have a Burris MTAC. Good mid price scope, not as clear as the TR21.

The Vortex Razor I have for sale is new and never used. It is the 1-4 HD. I would keep it and use it except I have 2 1-4 scopes already. The Vortex and the Trijicon seem to me to be on the same level quality wise.

I have had, in the past, a few different dots and a couple scopes. I tried a Vortex viper 1-4 but the Trijicon blew it out of the water.

The Vortex Razor is a high end scope with a retail price of $1600. With optics, you truly get what you pay for.

Different sights whether magnified or not will give different results. Many can work very well with a non magnified dot. If I had to choose one optic, it would be a 1-4 or 1-6 quality scope that would work as a red dot when I wanted it to and would work with magnification when needed. It would be compatible with what Trijicon calls the Bindon Aiming Concept.

With optics, you truly get what you pay for.

To a degree. I mean yeah, in general, the higher end optics are "better" on paper, but will the user see a difference?

Optics for rifles are no different than optics for cameras. The "mid range" stuff is fine for 95% of uses, and for those 95% of things, there will not be an objective difference between the two. A soccer mom doesn't need a 400mm f2.8 lens to take pictures of little Timmy playing soccer on Saturday mornings. The pictures will probably come out the same with the bargain 55-300mm variable the DSLR came with. Most people don't need a Nightforce or a USO to go make holes in paper with factory ammo on a one way range.

The professional photog who gets paid not to miss a shot probably can justify needing the 400mm f/2.8, because he uses it in extreme (low light, wet, dirty, etc..) conditions. Guys who drag their rifles into combat zones through the most extreme of conditions can justify the need for something like a NF, USO, or S&B.

If you are the kind of user that shoots factory ammunition only on sunny days at known distances, and babies your gear -- there is no reason to spend a ton on optics, because the additional $ will not result in any kind of gain for you. You probably won't find the limits of budget/midrange stuff, so there is no need to spend more.

If you are hard on your gear, shoot in all weather, frequently take classes where you're running and gunning, diving, crawling, and rolling around or you competitively shoot something like 3-gun every week, or you painstakingly handload ammo while chasing the mythical "5 shots in 1 hole" unicorn then yeah, you might find the limits of "budget" or "mid range" optics, and some of the additional features of the higher end choices would be justifiable.

As you increase in price, you tend to get (with optics in general -- a lot of this stuff is the same as camera lenses):

-Less fisheye/distortion at the edges of the lens
-Less discrepancy between real and advertised magnification (1x really is 1x -- not 1.3x, etc..)
-Slightly sharper in the middle of the lens
-Brighter/more contrast/less flare
-More shock/impact resistance (not from recoil necessarily, but dropping the rifle, banging it into stuff, etc..)
-More advanced reticle/turrets (FFP)
-Smoother focus/zoom mechs
-Better waterproofing
-Longer battery life
-More durable fit/finish

Just remember though, a lot of this stuff is subtle. You know how hard it is to choose between #1 and #2 at the optometrist, right? Your eyes are very adaptable. In my experience, the picture you see when looking through a NF is barely discernible from what you see when looking through something that cost 1/4 or 1/3 as much.

But anyways, OP, Vortex stuff is good. I think dollar for dollar, you get more of those features with a Vortex optic than you do with competitive offerings from Bushnell, Nikon*, Millett, etc.. I have a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24 V-Brite on my SBR, and it's awesome.

*I shoot all Nikon gear for my photography, and I think they are very good at making glass. However, a lot of their rifle stuff is 1" tubes, as opposed to the 30mm tubes everyone else uses.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a short-mid range scope for my AR. I found some good deals on Vortex optics.. just wondering how they are compared to other short-mid range scopes.

This was the one i was looking at.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-spitfire-3x-prism-scope-with-ebr-556b-moa-reticle for my AR.

If you want to try my HD 1-6x let me know. We can all sit here and talk about how good vortex is but the best way is for you to get behind the glass. Their no bullshit warranty tops almost all manufactures.

AR build.jpg

Last edited:
I just pissed myself. Haven't seen one of those vids in a long time. Ibtl.
The Cyclops dude has some fan hate comments videos that are funny AF. He reads the most f*cked up comments and messages he gets on YouTube.

His voice is a little annoying, he sounds like he would be the dude showing up in a van with "free candy". But his reviews are funny and his hate comment videos are funny AF..

a vortex hate in the morning? :) why? razor is quite a fine glass. pst2 is also ok, and warranty is proven.
what gives?

Lol I was finally convinced by a friend to stop throwing el cheapo Amazon optics on guns. Thought pretty highly of myself after a few vortex purchases…. Until now. I feel attacked

I had a 6-24×50mm on an old AR and it was a great piece. Had it replaced when something was effed up. Forget what it was but they replaced it NQA.

Lol I was finally convinced by a friend to stop throwing el cheapo Amazon optics on guns. Thought pretty highly of myself after a few vortex purchases…. Until now. I feel attacked
Nothing wrong with Vortex it is just fun.

A buddy drop his from a ladder stand, the scope hit the tree on its way down with the rifle.

We drove to the range in the property and it was still zeroed. Shot a deer 3hrs later at roughly 100 yards.

If Vortex releases their PST with locking turrets, they will have a winner. Not that the PST is bad now, but the age of the design is showing, although the quality is still as good or better than most new scopes.

Not that the PST is bad now
it is not bad but process to take the turret off to fix the zero stop is annoying compared to how it is done on arken.
i just rotated all the scopes again of nothing better to do. :)

it is not bad but process to take the turret off to fix the zero stop is annoying compared to how it is done on arken.
i just rotated all the scopes again of nothing better to do. :)
Yes. Again, their old design shows.
I wonder when they will come up with new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom