• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vortex Optics Razor HD Spotting Scope, 20-60x

SFC13557

NES Member
Midway has this on sale for $949.0, any opinions? I want a scope I can see .223 holes at 300 yds at Harvard.

in general i'm not a vortex fan but their razor spotting scopes are phenomenal. i have used this older model you've referenced. I own the newer version (22-48x65mm). just buy whichever razor model you like. get a quality bipod or whatever system you like but don't cheap out on it. with a good mount you'll have no problem seeing 22 cal holes at 300 yards. folks are going to roll in here claiming their $200 spotting scope is just as functional....nonsense.

from what I can see the biggest difference between the older and new models is the focus knobs are different. the glass on the newer models is allegedly better but i can't see a difference.

BTW, sportsmanswarehouse has it for $50 less

Last edited:
in general i'm not a vortex fan but their razor spotting scopes are phenomenal. i have used this older model you've referenced. I own the newer version (22-48x65mm). just buy whichever razor model you like. get a quality bipod or whatever system you like but don't cheap out on it. with a good mount you'll have no problem seeing 22 cal holes at 300 yards. folks are going to roll in here claiming their $200 spotting scope is just as functional....nonsense.

from what I can see the biggest difference between the older and new models is the focus knobs are different. the glass on the newer models is allegedly better but i can't see a difference.

BTW, sportsmanswarehouse has it for $50 less

I own 2 Vortex red dots for my AR and Tavor, this scope seems like a good deal.

Midway has this on sale for $949.0, any opinions? I want a scope I can see .223 holes at 300 yds at Harvard.
Do yourself a favor , go to harvard 300 yard line and ask to look through as many scopes as you can. See which ones can see what you expect.
22cal holes are hard to see on a standard black bull .
So depending on target , light , back stop you may not see what you expect.
Toss in mirage and all bets are off.

That said if this scope was worth $1600 when it came out $900 is not a bad deal.
Never looked through a vortex
Kowa,Konus, Celestron , bushnell

The 1” creedmoor pole cat is on sale also

Last edited:
That photo they are using is the wrong one. The Razor HD 20-60x85mm is the one further down the page.
I have one. It's a great scope. I've had Kowa and the Vortex blows it away. We've looked through Nightforce side by side and nobody could say the Nightforce was better. For under $1000 its a steal.
Yes, you can see 223 bullet holes at 300 if there's no mirage. No scope can see through mirage.

I'd double check to make sure which you're getting due to the photo/description confusion.

This is the one I have.
Screenshot_20211231-211413_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The one in the first 2 posts is the older Gen 1 model. They changed the focus knobs for the Gen 2 model.

Im selling my Gen 2 model if you’re interested. The one linked for $1600. I have it in the classifieds here for $1100

I have a Celestron 60x and honestly I don't think you're going to be able to spot a .22 cal hole at 300 yds not matter how good the glass is. On a clear bright day and a CALM wind I can spot .22 cal holes at 200 meters but barely. Add an overcast or foggy day and some wind that shakes your scope and now your spotting is done. I like to shoot at cheap 9" paper plates with a 1" stick on orange center so I get a sharp contrast from the bullet holes. I have a Caldwell bullet cam system, and it's excellent for spotting shots at longer distances .

I have a Celestron 60x and honestly I don't think you're going to be able to spot a .22 cal hole at 300 yds not matter how good the glass is. On a clear bright day and a CALM wind I can spot .22 cal holes at 200 meters but barely. Add an overcast or foggy day and some wind that shakes your scope and now your spotting is done. I like to shoot at cheap 9" paper plates with a 1" stick on orange center so I get a sharp contrast from the bullet holes. I have a Caldwell bullet cam system, and it's excellent for spotting shots at longer distances .

If its a viable option for you the “canera” systems are a better option to see your holes.
I have Celestron regal M2 27x LER
On a bright day i can see 22 cal holes easily at 200 and 300 yards is possible with that scope as long as light is high and bright and theres no mirage. The 300 yard range I visit once in a while is a swamp so mirage is often terrible

The one in the first 2 posts is the older Gen 1 model. They changed the focus knobs for the Gen 2 model.

Im selling my Gen 2 model if you’re interested. The one linked for $1600. I have it in the classifieds here for $1100
That's a good deal for somebody.

With all due respect, the Celestron is about a dozen notches below the Vortex as far as clarity goes. I DO see 223 bullet holes at 300 with the Vortex. Not in all conditions though. With both scopes, you need conditions to be in your favor to see holes at 300. It's just that with the Vortex, things are in your favor more often.
And magnification isn't always your friend. I see holes best at 300 when I'm at about 40X.

The best spotting scope I've ever looked through is one of the Kowa Binocular team scopes that the AMU has. Between relays, I asked if I could take a peak through it. I did, and said "holy f***!". The Sgt (can't remember his name) said "yup, that's usually the reaction I hear when people look through one for the first time". He said when conditions are perfect, they can see holes at 600 yards (at Perry with sky behind the target).

With all due respect, the Celestron is about a dozen notches below the Vortex as far as clarity goes. I DO see 223 bullet holes at 300 with the Vortex. Not in all conditions though. With both scopes, you need conditions to be in your favor to see holes at 300. It's just that with the Vortex, things are in your favor more often.
And magnification isn't always your friend. I see holes best at 300 when I'm at about 40X.

The best spotting scope I've ever looked through is one of the Kowa Binocular team scopes that the AMU has. Between relays, I asked if I could take a peak through it. I did, and said "holy f***!". The Sgt (can't remember his name) said "yup, that's usually the reaction I hear when people look through one for the first time". He said when conditions are perfect, they can see holes at 600 yards (at Perry with sky behind the target).
My kowa is s small older model that Im pretty sure was ment for 50-100 yard rimfire. I dont like it much —-picked up real cheap years ago. Eye relief is awful , no rotation band .
My Celestron regal M2 or what ever its called needs Perfect light to see 223 , shit even 30 cal in the black can be hard at 300
The celestron below the regal is more akin to a cheap bushnell

If its a viable option for you the “canera” systems are a better option to see your holes.
I have Celestron regal M2 27x LER
On a bright day i can see 22 cal holes easily at 200 and 300 yards is possible with that scope as long as light is high and bright and theres no mirage. The 300 yard range I visit once in a while is a swamp so mirage is often terrible
My Celestron is cheap. I got what I paid for. I only needed to spot my shots out to 200 meters, and the $275 Celestron gets it done. The biggest gripe I have is the lack of light transmission at higher magnifications (as compared to higher end scopes) . The wind at my clubs 200 meter range can be a real PIA too especially trying to test in colder months when the air is very dense. I've learned to hang a 9# brick of lead from the tripod and this is a huge help in steading the setup. I used my Caldwell cam at 600 yds when I was shooting by myself testing 45-70 cast loads and it worked great. It is a bit fussy and fumbly to set up correctly but once you have it set it works great.

My Celestron is cheap. I got what I paid for. I only needed to spot my shots out to 200 meters, and the $275 Celestron gets it done. The biggest gripe I have is the lack of light transmission at higher magnifications (as compared to higher end scopes) . The wind at my clubs 200 meter range can be a real PIA too especially trying to test in colder months when the air is very dense. I've learned to hang a 9# brick of lead from the tripod and this is a huge help in steading the setup. I used my Caldwell cam at 600 yds when I was shooting by myself testing 45-70 cast loads and it worked great. It is a bit fussy and fumbly to set up correctly but once you have it set it works great.
If the vortex in question is as good as said to be and it is available for a great price its worth grabing.
I bought this maybe 5-6 years ago after my Konus was stolen. Its MUCH better than the Konus . The eye relief is good and at 300 its a bit touchy
At the time I bought the the regal it was running $800 then it went on sale at some birdwatchers store for $500
From what I gather they dont make it any more. I do have the 30x60 eye piece but it really does not add anything to this scope.
It now sits on my Celestron telescope
829E390A-AFFE-4954-AD9A-9A91CE352E82.png

Back
Top Bottom